Scalp psoriasis and shampoo

Thanks GC! I will try the oil / Shampoo tonight. My Derm is convinced that Tar Shampoo is the answer....I STRONGLY disagree! Not only is the smell nauseating and repulsive, it doesn't seem to do a darn thing! Have tried the Neutrogena but it did not work either. Will try and find a good Tea Tree Oil shampoo/conditioner. :)

GrumpyCat said:

When I use straight oil on my scalp, I massage it in very well. I have a bottle with a small tip on it that I use to get better contact with my scalp instead of just pouring it on. Then I wash 2 to 3 times with a good shampoo. It takes a bit of work to get the oils out so I only do it when my scalp is really irritated.
I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree conditioner and a Tea Tree shampoo from a company called Melaleuca. I shampoo twice and then leave the Costner in for my whole shower or bath. I find it works very well for my scalp dryness and irritation from P.I have used the Neutrogena shampoos, but I'm really girly and like things that smell pretty.
For my poor ears I use a combination of betamethasone ointment and protopic. It's the only thing that works, but it works really well.

sunshine said:

Hi!

My scalp P has exploded! I am OC so I pick at it all the time :( I have used Coconut Oil for the P in my ear out of desperation...it was so swollen and irritated and it worked really well....how should I use it on my scalp? massage it in and leave it for??? then shampoo?

Thanks for your help!

My head has been so sore I admit I have not been very good about brushing/combing as I should! Think I will go by a good comb and do it after I condition my hair/scalp really well.... Doesn't the ACV burn??

Sybil said:

I've lost about a third of my hair due to scalp psoriasis (it was thought to be a form of alopecia but the money's on psoriasis now). My remaining hair is dense and covers the baldness with a bit of help so far, but I'm close to being very visibly follicularly challenged. And now, I think, the hair loss seems to have stopped. My hair used to be everywhere, even on the dog. The hoover was full of it, so was the car. Then of course there's dandruff plus. But no longer .... I hope I'm not tempting fate! There's re-growth too.

I've got a good psoriasis regimen these days which helps with the itch and calms the inflammation on other parts of my body. But if anything other than chance has helped my scalp it has to be careful, gentle, but regular combing to remove the scales. I've also been dabbing apple cider vinegar on the scaly patches because it feels soothing and what I've tried to avoid is going from scaliness to raw & sore.... both the scales and the inflammation seem to be bad news for the old follicles.

Oh my…I wish OLUX work for you. …I had the psoriasis so bad on my scalp and ears it would bleed because the itching was unbearable. …My dermatologist prescribed this. .it keeps my psoriasis at bay for 6 months at a time…I started with Olux…then the insurance company forced me to try the generic brand. It came back with a vengeance. .so the Dr worked with the insurance company and I got the name brand back. .

Just to let you know. .unless you don’t have good prescription coverage. .it is very expensive. .it comes in a foam…may not be able to use it inside the ears…just the outside. .if u have other questions. .just message me. .Ask your doctor soon…

Gentle hugs

The ACV stings a bit but in an astringent way, quickly fading to pleasantly tingly.

Incidentally I agree with you about Coal Tar shampoo. I think I've heard some say that it's overly harsh and my derm's stopped prescribing it too. But then I've been through at least 20 dermatology prescriptions since June, which is crazy.

sunshine said:

My head has been so sore I admit I have not been very good about brushing/combing as I should! Think I will go by a good comb and do it after I condition my hair/scalp really well.... Doesn't the ACV burn??

Sybil said:

I've lost about a third of my hair due to scalp psoriasis (it was thought to be a form of alopecia but the money's on psoriasis now). My remaining hair is dense and covers the baldness with a bit of help so far, but I'm close to being very visibly follicularly challenged. And now, I think, the hair loss seems to have stopped. My hair used to be everywhere, even on the dog. The hoover was full of it, so was the car. Then of course there's dandruff plus. But no longer .... I hope I'm not tempting fate! There's re-growth too.

I've got a good psoriasis regimen these days which helps with the itch and calms the inflammation on other parts of my body. But if anything other than chance has helped my scalp it has to be careful, gentle, but regular combing to remove the scales. I've also been dabbing apple cider vinegar on the scaly patches because it feels soothing and what I've tried to avoid is going from scaliness to raw & sore.... both the scales and the inflammation seem to be bad news for the old follicles.

Think I'll give it a try :) I am currently w/o insurance so am trying to use Rx meds sparingly and would like to find a more homeopathic fix anyway!

Sybil said:

The ACV stings a bit but in an astringent way, quickly fading to pleasantly tingly.

Incidentally I agree with you about Coal Tar shampoo. I think I've heard some say that it's overly harsh and my derm's stopped prescribing it too. But then I've been through at least 20 dermatology prescriptions since June, which is crazy.

sunshine said:

Sybil said:

Will keep in mind for when I get my insurance back....thanks Karen!

Karen said:

Oh my..I wish OLUX work for you. ..I had the psoriasis so bad on my scalp and ears it would bleed because the itching was unbearable. ..My dermatologist prescribed this. .it keeps my psoriasis at bay for 6 months at a time..I started with Olux..then the insurance company forced me to try the generic brand. It came back with a vengeance. .so the Dr worked with the insurance company and I got the name brand back. .

Just to let you know. .unless you don't have good prescription coverage. .it is very expensive. .it comes in a foam....may not be able to use it inside the ears...just the outside. .if u have other questions. .just message me. .Ask your doctor soon..

Gentle hugs

Thing is, when PsA was diagnosed I quickly worked out what the best meds were and what I needed to do in order to stay as healthy as possible. It's pretty much a no-brainer if you read a bit and join a good forum! But with psoriasis .... it's open season. I reckon my derm tosses a dice to decide on the prescription de jour. Then there are the complementary options, all 2 million of them. I've always thought vinegar was good stuff in general so I decided to go for it on that highly scientific basis!

Sorry - I'm thinking I sounded a bit negative. I do actually think we can find something that works for us with a bit of perseverance.

I have found with all the shampoos that are otc, if takes a while to see results. Coal tar IS very effective but you need to use of regularly and for several weeks to get the best benefit. You might find that using it a couple days a week and then using the tea tree shampoo for the other days gives you better results than not using it at all. I totally understand disliking the coal tar. It is so funky smelling! But, using it just a couple days makes it so much more bearable.

sunshine said:

Thanks GC! I will try the oil / Shampoo tonight. My Derm is convinced that Tar Shampoo is the answer…I STRONGLY disagree! Not only is the smell nauseating and repulsive, it doesn’t seem to do a darn thing! Have tried the Neutrogena but it did not work either. Will try and find a good Tea Tree Oil shampoo/conditioner. :slight_smile:

GrumpyCat said:

When I use straight oil on my scalp, I massage it in very well. I have a bottle with a small tip on it that I use to get better contact with my scalp instead of just pouring it on. Then I wash 2 to 3 times with a good shampoo. It takes a bit of work to get the oils out so I only do it when my scalp is really irritated.
I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree conditioner and a Tea Tree shampoo from a company called Melaleuca. I shampoo twice and then leave the Costner in for my whole shower or bath. I find it works very well for my scalp dryness and irritation from P.I have used the Neutrogena shampoos, but I’m really girly and like things that smell pretty.
For my poor ears I use a combination of betamethasone ointment and protopic. It’s the only thing that works, but it works really well.

sunshine said:

Hi!

My scalp P has exploded! I am OC so I pick at it all the time :frowning: I have used Coconut Oil for the P in my ear out of desperation…it was so swollen and irritated and it worked really well…how should I use it on my scalp? massage it in and leave it for??? then shampoo?

Thanks for your help!

Man oh man do I remember those days. When I first started Humira, it was for P only and u was amazed at how much hair I had lost and didn’t even realize it until it started to grow back. My hair loss was mostly around the sides and back, so it was covered up. I’m glad you’re staying to have done regrowth; that’s so wonderful!

Sybil said:

I’ve lost about a third of my hair due to scalp psoriasis (it was thought to be a form of alopecia but the money’s on psoriasis now). My remaining hair is dense and covers the baldness with a bit of help so far, but I’m close to being very visibly follicularly challenged. And now, I think, the hair loss seems to have stopped. My hair used to be everywhere, even on the dog. The hoover was full of it, so was the car. Then of course there’s dandruff plus. But no longer … I hope I’m not tempting fate! There’s re-growth too.

I’ve got a good psoriasis regimen these days which helps with the itch and calms the inflammation on other parts of my body. But if anything other than chance has helped my scalp it has to be careful, gentle, but regular combing to remove the scales. I’ve also been dabbing apple cider vinegar on the scaly patches because it feels soothing and what I’ve tried to avoid is going from scaliness to raw & sore… both the scales and the inflammation seem to be bad news for the old follicles.

You may want to look at pricing for some of the generic topical steroids. Maybe your doc could help you find one that won’t cost you a firstborn child. Don’t be afraid to look at the ointments and creams too. They’re harder to apply on the scalp, but they do wor very well. It could give you some good relief for the worst spots.

sunshine said:

Will keep in mind for when I get my insurance back…thanks Karen!

Karen said:

Oh my…I wish OLUX work for you. …I had the psoriasis so bad on my scalp and ears it would bleed because the itching was unbearable. …My dermatologist prescribed this. .it keeps my psoriasis at bay for 6 months at a time…I started with Olux…then the insurance company forced me to try the generic brand. It came back with a vengeance. .so the Dr worked with the insurance company and I got the name brand back. .

Just to let you know. .unless you don’t have good prescription coverage. .it is very expensive. .it comes in a foam…may not be able to use it inside the ears…just the outside. .if u have other questions. .just message me. .Ask your doctor soon…

Gentle hugs

Cheers Grumpy!

GrumpyCat said:

Man oh man do I remember those days. When I first started Humira, it was for P only and u was amazed at how much hair I had lost and didn't even realize it until it started to grow back. My hair loss was mostly around the sides and back, so it was covered up. I'm glad you're staying to have done regrowth; that's so wonderful!