Rib pain from working out--ouch!

During my Thursday morning p.t. we went ahead with more weight bearing exercises. The place has every type of equipment imaginable. When you're headed for osteoporosis, this type of exercise is crucial (that's what they tell me).
So, Friday I started getting a few stabbing pains in my chest. I thought maybe it was pleurisy. This morning I woke up with tremendous pain all around my entire rib cage! It's very painful to breathe and move. I've used all that same equipment awhile back and never got this kind of pain.
Since I've been on Enbrel I thought my PsA was in check. I've had dull pain in my ribs in the past but nothing so piercing. Only when I was in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy - many years ago - did I have terrible pain associated with my ribs, and that felt like the flesh was being torn away from my bottom ribs.
I'm sure my muscles and connecting tissue in that area got a good workout Thursday, but geez! It's a bad weekend for me to feel crappy because we (my sister, SIL and I) are putting on a huge 90th birthday party for my mom tomorrow, and I have a lot to do today! I just popped a couple ibuprofen and I'm sure I'll feel a lot better later. I know pushing past the pain and moving is important, and I can't lay around and avoid that today!
I hope this isn't a sign that Enbrel is pooping out on me.

Seems like these things always come when we least want them. Hang in there I know how you fell. On Wednesday at work I had to move these huge dust collection systems and luckily a forklift does most of the work! Still had to get down on my knees and hammer drill (similar to a small jackhammer) and drill 8 1" holes in concrete then hammer the anchors in not to mention using a sledgehammer to correctly position unit in place. Ribs are my worst and so hard to not take a deep breath when you get shooting pains. I have been used to doing things things for years but even at 40 its not as easy as at used to be. Still feeling the pain but I have become so used to it but it does require a good cry some mornings. I’ve read lots of your posts and you’re one tough cookie! I pray you have a good and fun time but be sure you take it easy soon. I find a pajama day everyother week saves me, does not make me lazy but on that day when I go to bed I can breath without pain. Good luck and have faith in yourself.

Sorry meant feel not fell! Got my glasses on now. Lol. Let us know how your party went!

Thanks, Rachael! I think we all have to tough it out a lot of the time. The ibuprofen helped a lot. You have a double-edged sword yourself--with a physical job. On the one hand, you're keeping yourself fit and strong, but on the other hand I bet that hard work causes you some pain and stiffness later. I think over time we get so accustomed to pain that we can tolerate more and more. And, it seems like all pain eventually resolves itself, especially if we're careful and put in the effort it takes to make that happen--even if it includes taking meds.
Rachael said:

Seems like these things always come when we least want them. Hang in there I know how you fell. On Wednesday at work I had to move these huge dust collection systems and luckily a forklift does most of the work! Still had to get down on my knees and hammer drill (similar to a small jackhammer) and drill 8 1" holes in concrete then hammer the anchors in not to mention using a sledgehammer to correctly position unit in place. Ribs are my worst and so hard to not take a deep breath when you get shooting pains. I have been used to doing things things for years but even at 40 its not as easy as at used to be. Still feeling the pain but I have become so used to it but it does require a good cry some mornings. I've read lots of your posts and you're one tough cookie! I pray you have a good and fun time but be sure you take it easy soon. I find a pajama day everyother week saves me, does not make me lazy but on that day when I go to bed I can breath without pain. Good luck and have faith in yourself.

I doubt whether Enbrel is pooping out on you, GrandmaJ. Medication doesn’t make us immune from stresses and strains and punishing workouts. Aching muscles are trophies! Ya dun good!
Yes, a combination of PsA, with a risk of osteoporosis is a difficult combination. Keep moving!

Good glad you found relief. I recomend staying on the ibuprofen regimen to help keep the swelling down if you have any with it. Less swelling less pain usually but you probably already know that. Hope your sister is able to help you out. Yes the pain always passes but it can be hard when it hits .

Grandma J,

Just want to mention that enthesitis is really common for those with PsA--and the ribs/sternum (costochondritis) can be affected in the front and in the back. It can feel like being stabbed with an ice pick with every breath. The exercises you did may have overworked some of the tendons that attach to the ribs and caused some inflammation in the entheses which can lead to a lot of (usually short term but quite excruciating) pain. A heating pad works for me usually.

Thanks, Seenie. It helps to remind me that Enbrel isn't wearing out. Every time I have some new pain or stiffness, the first thing I think is oh no what if Enbrel can't fight my PsA anymore? (Am I a negative Nancy? - me? Haha!)
Rachael, the ibuprofen did miracles. I think taking it allowed me to move more and movement is very healing sometimes.
Janeatiu, IDK what I'd do without my heating pad anymore! I feel like I should have another one on hand just in case this one wears out because I can't go a day without it. Heat can really soothe away certain kinds of pain. When my sciatica hurt so bad I couldn't stand it, the heat--and it has to get really hot before it penetrates deep into my butt fat/muscle--helped a great deal while it was on.
When I have bad pain I need to remind myself it always eventually goes away instead of getting all worried I'm going to have to put up with it forever.

And GrandmaJ, even if the big E does poop on you some day, there are so many treatment alternatives available now. Pre-2000, the best they could do was mtx and a few of the dmards. LOL ... Methotrexate and The DMARDS sounds like a rock band. I want to play drums.

Lol, Seenie–for some reason, I don’t think I’d like their style of music!

Seenie said:

And GrandmaJ, even if the big E does poop on you some day, there are so many treatment alternatives available now. Pre-2000, the best they could do was mtx and a few of the dmards. LOL … Methotrexate and The DMARDS sounds like a rock band. I want to play drums.

I’ve been using a flax seed pillow as a heating pad for years been the best thing my mother in law ever gave me! Just about sold on your heating pad though sounds like a winner. Kinda tired of getting up to reheat it. Lol

Rachael, my heating pad is electric. It turns itself off after awhile, but usually I turn it off if it gets too hot. If you use a microwave-heated pad, they stay hot quite a while. I have "bed buddy" heating pads also. My neck one heats in the microwave for 1.5 minutes and the larger back one heats for about 2.5 minutes. They get really hot and you don't need to apply heat constantly, so it wouldn't be necessary to get up too many times to reheat it. When my back was really, really painful, the electric one was a must because the constant heat was so helpful. Now I just mostly use heat to relax my back. Also, when your pain is acute, ice packs help too alternated with heat. I hope you try this!

I brought a twin-sized electric blanket to work. I have it folded over my chair so on days it isn't too chilly in the office I sit on it doubled up. On very cold days, like today, I sit on it and flop the other half over me. It has a little thermostat so I can set the heat to keep me warm but not too hot. I stop it sliding off my chair with some strategically placed binder clips!