Back To The Basics

My Stelara is wearing off and some of the pain is returning, knees, toes, and my back! Goodness. My back is killing me. It's been a week of intense back pain. Even pain pills aren't helping. I have an appointment tomorrow. How many of you have back related issues? Had xrays taken? Diagnosis or treatments?

I've never had xrays of my back, but I am starting to think it might be beneficial. Even if there is nothing physically wrong, like slipped discs etc, at least I can rule that out. It's right above my bra line. Like a knife jabbing and twisting. I stay at home with a 4 year old and there is no time for resting, mush less lying down when the pain is bad. This cannot go on.

I am fairly new to this so I don't really have any useful advice. But I can relate to what you're saying since I have a 2 year old. For me its chest pain and back stiffness, but its so hard because they need us no matter how bad we feel. I hope you get the help you need xxx

Doc as added AZATHIOPRINE TAB 50MG to my drug list. Goodness, I take a lot of pills! Anyone used it/ tried it? Side effects/ benefits? Also ordered xrays and blood draw.

Thanks KBG, Yes it's hard having this illness and raising kids. Sometimes I feel I am lacking as a mother because of the symptoms. But I give it my all and just try. That's all I can do. I hope you find some chest and back relief soon.

Thanks sybil. I guess it's not lacking as much as knowing my limits. Not going to 3 birthday parties in one day, etc. I hope my son knows how strong I have been and how much I have pushed through for him.

I do get the hot needles thing too. Also down my arms. I am hoping there is a easy fix, but I am sure it's not.

Haha! Yes, probably.

Back x-rays and blood work today. So many xray shots and positions. Don't they know my back HURTS?

I wonder if an MRI would have been easier. Hopefully, they'll figure it out. Back pain sucks.

believe it or not plain ol xrays are for many things rheumatology wise are better than an MRI. Imagine trying to find a lump of sand on a beach.......

Well, last night was horrible. Nausea and muscle aches from the Imuran plus my back hurting. Today, my back is still painful. Headed to a pumpkin patch with my son. Going to take a few pain pills before hand. Hope everyone has a good weekend! Enjoy the fall weather.

Labs and x-rays normal. Yay but, ugh! Why does my back still hurt? Oh well. Going to bike ride around the neighborhood and start back on Yoga.

I have had that kind of stabbing pain mid back like that and sometimes also in my breastbone at about the same level. Such pain that I couldn't breathe. It would last a week or so and then dissipate. My neurologist attributed it to referred pain from my neck. I have had DDD in my neck for nearly 30 years. Now when it happens I focus on getting my neck loosened up (hot tub, hot shower, muscle relaxants, physical therapy...)and I don't panic over it. I think that sometimes worrying about the pain and what it is causes as much distress as the pain itself. I find that if I know that there is a finite time period that something will hurt I can get through it (like childbirth, it always ends eventually). So I try to look at those incidents and see what I may have been doing that got me messed up so I can move differently going forward. I hope you feel better soon.

Sassy, that's true. I sometimes anticipate the pain and hold me back a certain way. Once I relax a bit, the pain lessen. I also have bigger breasts, maybe too big for my back. Wearing my bra does help. I am going to try the yoga and loosing 5 pounds to see if it eases the pressure. My back was great while the Stelara was working. That's why I know it's PSA related. Hope you find some relief as well.

I agree--it helps a great deal to know that it won't last forever! Did they xray your neck, amielynn? It does sound like referred neck pain. My neck's been bothering me since June. When I had the MRIs of my lumbar and SI joints, I should have mentioned my neck pain and had an MRI of it, too. (But it was minor compared to the lower back/butt pain). My pain will go up both sides of my neck--almost feeling like swollen glands, down my spine about 6 inches, under my left shoulder blade, through my chest and down my left arm. The pain isn't intense though, just nagging, with my arm feeling achy and fizzy all the way to my fingers sometimes. Its so weird. Well, tomorrow I'm starting up PT again, so I'll mention this. Amielynn, just because they didn't see anything on the xray doesn't mean you don't have something wrong. PT with some massage might make it feel better if it doesn't let up. :-)

Sassygrl said:

I have had that kind of stabbing pain mid back like that and sometimes also in my breastbone at about the same level. Such pain that I couldn't breathe. It would last a week or so and then dissipate. My neurologist attributed it to referred pain from my neck. I have had DDD in my neck for nearly 30 years. Now when it happens I focus on getting my neck loosened up (hot tub, hot shower, muscle relaxants, physical therapy...)and I don't panic over it. I think that sometimes worrying about the pain and what it is causes as much distress as the pain itself. I find that if I know that there is a finite time period that something will hurt I can get through it (like childbirth, it always ends eventually). So I try to look at those incidents and see what I may have been doing that got me messed up so I can move differently going forward. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Grandma. They just did the whole spine. I am sure there is something wrong but at least it's not so severe that it showed up on an xray :)