Remicade works for arthritis, but not so much for psoriasis

I seem to see my dermatologist more often than my Rheumy. The psoriasis on my arms and on my scalp is worse with the warmer, humid weather of the South East. So, hats make my head sweaty and itchy. Shampoo that was prescribed didn't work so he's added another to use. Sunscreen makes my arms itch and flare up. I asked if this was normal. He said it was normal for PsA and gave me another Cortisone injection.

I have lots of problems with sunscreen, which I need because of several photosensitive patches of skin!!!!! I discovered after having allergy tests done at the hospital that I am allergic to (amongst other things) PABA which is frequently a constituent of sunscreen, especially the 'apply once/all day long' types. I even found this evil substance in one of the sensitive skin sunscreens!

My trusted favourites are Uvistat and Piz Buin Allergy, they protect me from the sun, prevent the photosensitive reaction and do not aggravate my psoriasis. I've recently had some kind of psoriasis breakout on my arms and the sunscreens have been fine with it.

Hopefully your cortisone injection will help settle things down and you find a sunscreen that is gentle on your skin.

Remicade is one of the better ones for plaque psoriasis. Have you tried T Gell shampoo? Great stuff if you haven’t. Also, there is a clobetasol spray for the scalp that works well, but thins skin.

If you are not in the sun a lot, you maybe able to add MTX.

Thank you for your response, but I can't take MTX because it gave me a rash too. The dermatologist did give me an ointment/shampoo to try for the next month intermittendly with the "old" shampoo. I'll look up clobetasol spray.

Have you ever tried MG217 shampoo? If not, I highly recommend you try it! I had nearly my entire head covered with psoriasis for 30+ years before I discovered MG217 and it works 1,000x better than any other shampoo-prescription or otherwise. It's worth trying one bottle of it. I get it on Amazon. Com

Jules said:

I have lots of problems with sunscreen, which I need because of several photosensitive patches of skin!!!!! I discovered after having allergy tests done at the hospital that I am allergic to (amongst other things) PABA which is frequently a constituent of sunscreen, especially the 'apply once/all day long' types. I even found this evil substance in one of the sensitive skin sunscreens!

My trusted favourites are Uvistat and Piz Buin Allergy, they protect me from the sun, prevent the photosensitive reaction and do not aggravate my psoriasis. I've recently had some kind of psoriasis breakout on my arms and the sunscreens have been fine with it.

Hopefully your cortisone injection will help settle things down and you find a sunscreen that is gentle on your skin.

This is something I’ve heard, but have no experience with, but there are some people who simply have a tough time getting their Psoriasis under control. Remicade works great Psoriais, it just may not be working for your psoriasis. I’m sure that makes you feel so much better, but I know hat you aren’t alone in that problem. There are plenty of others in the same boat. There are other bios to try, but you have to weigh what is more important to you: good p control or good PsA control? For me, I would hate to give up the control I have over the PsA for better psoriasis control. Go check in with your derm and see what suggestions they have. It’s also possible that you are not at the highest dose of Remicade and that there is some play left with that. Topicals can really help, but I know that’s not ideal.

Anyway, I am sorry you are still itching!

I have been on remicade for about a year. My (scalp) psoriasis is horrible. RX and OTC shampoos and tinctures are not very effective. It was almost completely gone with other meds-embrel,humra,simponi-I cant remember what else-. I was thinking about asking my rheum. if I could go back to one of the other meds-just long enough to tamp it down . I'm sure that he would say no. I am going to try the MG217 shampoo-thanks Grandma J!

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me! Good luck!

jhelvey said:

I have been on remicade for about a year. My (scalp) psoriasis is horrible. RX and OTC shampoos and tinctures are not very effective. It was almost completely gone with other meds-embrel,humra,simponi-I cant remember what else-. I was thinking about asking my rheum. if I could go back to one of the other meds-just long enough to tamp it down . I'm sure that he would say no. I am going to try the MG217 shampoo-thanks Grandma J!

I have been on remicade for about two years and have had no psoriasis in at least a year and a half. Still playing around with dose to help with PsA. I think overall it has helped with that to.

As we are upon late Spring and are getting more hot humid days my psoriasis on my arms and scalp is flaring up. My Dermatologist has treated it successfully since Fall. He wants me to talk to my Rheumatologist about using another biologic. Those of you who have trouble successfully treating psoriasis, but Remicade has worked wonders on the Arthritis, what do you take? Would you risk a change?

My allergist/immunologist would like me to think about taking Xolair to fight my out of control immune system since allergy shots don't work; my allergies are severe, my asthma is now severe, I get hives, and the list goes on!