Quotes About Becoming

Thank you to Louise Hoy, who started a wonderful thread on how psoriasis makes us feel, to everyone who contributed, and especially to Mel B who provided a wonderful quote from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams:

He said, “You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand”

Here is a collection of more thought-provoking quotes that I came across which make for good reading:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/becoming

This discussion is open for your thoughts and contributions.

Can we add the classical and universal "to be or not to be" to the list? :)

Of course, LL! That’s what this thread is all about!

That list is great. Thank you!!

In my journey with PsA, I almost feel like I've gone through the "stages of grief" in accepting my diagnosis. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and finally acceptance. I have been my own worst critic, beating myself up and trying to force my body to do the things "old me" used to do without a second thought. I've finally let that go and instead of sadness, I feel empowered. I'm weaker than I was in some ways, but mentally stronger. I have lost in some areas and gained in others. New me was not afraid to take a long nap this weekend, old me would never have allowed that! Keep the small things small and remember this, nobody ever lays on their deathbed wishing they worked more (or dusted more, the list goes on!)

What a great description Mel B! I can totally relate! :)

Mel B said:

In my journey with PsA, I almost feel like I've gone through the "stages of grief" in accepting my diagnosis. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and finally acceptance. I have been my own worst critic, beating myself up and trying to force my body to do the things "old me" used to do without a second thought. I've finally let that go and instead of sadness, I feel empowered. I'm weaker than I was in some ways, but mentally stronger. I have lost in some areas and gained in others. New me was not afraid to take a long nap this weekend, old me would never have allowed that! Keep the small things small and remember this, nobody ever lays on their deathbed wishing they worked more (or dusted more, the list goes on!)

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them"

- Maya Angelou

I love this quote.....it reminds me to keep fighting! :)

I'm going through that now thank -you. I need to go into the acceptance mode . I can totally relate.

Love the quote Sunshine! Acceptance mode is easier said than done, it took me a long time. I struggle with perfectionism, getting PsA felt like some kind of personal failure on my part, which is a terrible way to feel.

Donna....hope you are feeling better soon.....so grateful for this support group....hope you feel it too! :)

Donna B said:

I'm going through that now thank -you. I need to go into the acceptance mode . I can totally relate.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

Mel B said:

Love the quote Sunshine! Acceptance mode is easier said than done, it took me a long time. I struggle with perfectionism, getting PsA felt like some kind of personal failure on my part, which is a terrible way to feel.

I found this one on the The Mighty, I like it, although I'm having a hard time "feeling it" this week since I'm in a flare. I am no longer responding to Cimzia, waiting to start Remicade and feeling like Godzilla. My niece and nephew came over last week for dinner and were acting out of control and throwing my things around the living room. They saw auntie breathe fire.

“‘The scenery on your path will be different than you imagined but not any less beautiful.’

Some day, the niece and nephew will look back fondly on the day auntie breathed fire. LOL But I’m sorry you’re feeling rotten. Spring and fall seem to be problem seasons for a lot of people, followed closely by summer and winter. :wink:

Love that quote – so true! Thanks.

LOVE the quote! I'm sorry you are having such a hard time and hope you will get relief soon! And for my "two cents" worth.....sometimes they need to see a bit of fire breathing :)

Mel B said:

I found this one on the The Mighty, I like it, although I'm having a hard time "feeling it" this week since I'm in a flare. I am no longer responding to Cimzia, waiting to start Remicade and feeling like Godzilla. My niece and nephew came over last week for dinner and were acting out of control and throwing my things around the living room. They saw auntie breathe fire.

“‘The scenery on your path will be different than you imagined but not any less beautiful.’

I came across that quote today, you know the one:

“Everyone you meet is fighting a battle that you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.”

Then my OC self went on a search, and found this page. Some are simply wonderful!
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/be_kind.html