PsA in Eyes?

I would like to know if PsA can affect your eyes? Every morning I have a bit of puss in the corner of my eyes and they are extremely blood-shot and feel tired and sore all day. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it could be related to PsA or to the medication? I take Methotrexate and Avara. I'm not sure if I need to see an optometrist or opthamologist or just my rhumy. I'm worried that my eyesight is going to be affected eventually.

I would encourage you to see your eye doctor. Here's the thing. . . We think of PsA as arthritis, but what we really need to think is that it is an inflammatory disease, and it can affect multiple systems. Personally, I've had a few eye problems related to PsA, including retinal inflammation, blepharitis, and severe dry eye (possibly Sjogrens). Your eyes are just too precious. Get them checked out.

In the meantime, you can certainly do some home treatment, which would include gently cleaning your eyes with diluted baby shampoo and warm water twice a day. This may clear up the worst of it, but you should still be seen. Make certain to list off all of your meds and all of your symptoms.

I agree with Stoney. You should see an opthamologist. Anyone with an inflammatory illness should have a thorough eye exam. My primary care physician referred me for precisely that reason. As it happens, I ended up developing scleritis, inflammation of the whites of the eye. My vision degraded. It was treated with some steroid eye drops. Vision is back to normal. The opthamologist said it was related to my PsA. There are multiple ways in which inflammation can present in the eyes. Some are immediately noticeable. Some are far more subtle. So it is best to get an exam. Barring any issues, I see my eye doctor once a year for an assessment. But as he knows I have PsA, he gets me in right a way if I have any issues just to make sure it is not inflammation related.

Don't worry. Just get yourself assessed. Good luck!

You should not only see an opthamologist you should do so IMMEDIATLY. This is an emergent situation and permanent blindness can result if it is indeed posterior uveitis. (there is no way to know without an eye exam)

Treated early its just another annoyance. However it also increases both the incidence of cataracts and glaucoma so you should be checked often. If it reoccurs you may need a change of meds. BTW the trops they prescribe are about $300.00 (depending on size) you take the antibiotic and steroids as seperate scripts for about $40.00

YES!!! Go to the eye doc. ASAP. I had a blood shot area in one eye for about two years and my eye doc. kept blowing it off. Eventually both eyes became painful, blurry in spots, and I felt a lot of pressure in them. At that point I went to a new eye doc. to get another opinion. He said that the arthritis was presenting itself in the eyes and that the constant inflammation caused dryness, an infection, and some corneal scaring. Now I am taking Restasis, a steriod drop, anti-biotic, eye lid antiobiotics, lid wipes, etc, etc. They are doing much better. At the time I was taking Methatrexate, and now just strted Enbrel. He said that even if you are one these and the arthritis is very active, this can happen. Good Luck.

• Chancy, I would suggest you find a good Opthamologist. All of my problems started with my eyes. My Opthamologist finally diagnosed my problems to scleritis and you need to be treated by a professional.
  • My scleritis runs hand in hand with my PsA. Best if luck to you.

Hi there. I also have similar issues with my eyes. Psa does affect them by making them very try and they don’t create their own moisture. I have just had a big eye check up. My eyes were very sore and often mucky. Turns out it it because of the lack of moisture. They are very irritated. I need to use drops twice a day and a gel at night. I also have wobbly veins in my eyes which is usually related to high blood pressure which I don’t have. It is something to be checked and be mindful of.

At the moment almost every part of me is affected by this disease.