PsA Dream Home - what features help?

I have been contemplating new housing and it occurred to me to make a wish list of desired features given my challenges. It then occurred to me to call upon the wisdom and experiences of this community (ok, I got lazy and didnt get very far with my list ... I admit it)

And this is a wish list ... so it is not that I can afford all these things ... just brainstorming/dreaming

My current wish list includes:

• In-home therapy pool. I have been looking at endless pools.
  • Adjustable bed with premium mattress (possibly memory foam)
  • Dedicated freezer for cold therapy clay or gel packs (located where ever most used)
  • Small medical fridge with digital thermostat & battery backup for storing biologics
  • In-home physical therapy area with appropriate equipment
  • Adjustable sit-stand desk
  • Ergonomic desk chair
  • Deep soak tub

I was going to start researching such topics as aging in place or standards for accessible design just to see if it sparked any ideas...but I have yet to do so.

This is as far as I got. Any ideas are appreciated.

Definitely look up standards for accessible design. My parents did this when they had their house built. Some of the features include wide doors and hallways, ranch style house, door handles rather than door knobs, toilets built up on stands (so they are higher), etc.

As it turns out, my mom now uses a walker, so they are pretty happy with how they built the house. The biggest issue is that their garage is a half flight of stairs down from the main level, so she still needs to deal with this.

I would also consider a generator, depending on what part of the world you live in. We've had some real issues the last 5 years with power loss, for up to a week at a time. We have a generator now, not a big one, but enough to run the necessities.

Oh, don't forget, laundry on the main floor.

Thanks Stoney! Those are some great suggestions. From what I have read thus far, the consensus seems to be that it is cheaper to have a place built with such features than to remodel an existing home.

Wow, a week long power outage would be quite a challenge. I can see why you made the investment in a generator.

I second all of these great suggestions! Especially the main floor laundry room!

When we did a kitchen reno many years ago, I decided to make my kitchen rolly-stool friendly. I didn’t go as far as making it wheelchair accessible, but it’s set up with some counter overhangs (and knee room) where I can sit on a high rolling stool and reach the sink, a pull-out garbage bin, and the fridge with ease. As a teacher coming home from a long day on my feet, I loved that. I had no idea at the time that one day, this would be what would make it possible for me to happily cook dinner every day despite my PsA.

I don’t think that I’d go to the enormous expense of a totally wheelchair accessible kitchen, but this modification was economical and so very useful.
For the same reno, we added a main floor bathroom/laundry room with shower. It’s good, but if I were doing that again, I would make it a wet room (no threshold on shower) and I’d make the shower just a tiny bit bigger so that it would accommodate a shower stool or commode. After my joint replacements, the step up and the small size was a bit difficult for me.

Warm water therapy pool … sigh … in my dreams! It depends what you want it for. Endless Pools are great if you want to use it for swimming exercise. Myself, I’d be more interested in deep water to do flexibility and ROM work. Therapypools4Less.com have deeper water, better insulation, a smaller footprint and a lower price. But even that price is a dream for me. When I win the lottery!
And the bed. Make sure it’s high enough to get out of easily (at least 18 inches, even more is better), and include provision for a step stool to get in without a struggle.

Maybe I should start buying lottery tickets!

Oh I love this topic! I would put a deep tub in, a higher toilet and it would be all on one floor. I love my little house but sometimes I do dream about what I would do differently. My husband pulled out the first floor shower and put a washer and dryer in the down stairs bath room. So much easier. We have been debating turning 2 bedrooms on the first floor into one larger bedroom and bath. We also have a generator as we live on a mountain in Vermont and we lose power frequently. We heat with a wood stove so I am able to hunker down despite the storms.

It would sound like a dream home for me..... it wouldn't work though.. every day I have another issue added.... lol - I'm to the point now... a retirement home - does not sound bad for me.... they cook, clean,,, etc... all I would have to do is make sure I pay them... lol....

I know I will never have my life back - but have accepted this new one with all the challenges....

Take care

Karen

Our current house has raised counters in the master bath , which has helped immensely when my back is stiff and sore. I didn't realize when we bought the house how much I would love that!

Raised counters... that it a great suggestion. Thanks Miz Que!

And thanks Seenie for the wet room suggestion. Therapypools4Less.com certainly offers some more affordable options.

I understand Karen. In my current living situation I have housekeeping service and grocery delivery. I have no washer/dryer, so I drop laundry off at fluff & fold for 99 cents a pound. There is certainly a lot to be said for keeping things simple and offloading tasks. That would certainly free you up to expend your energies on the activities you most enjoy.

I do not know that I could afford all these things. But it seemed a worthy exercise to explore. Thanks for making a great suggest about considering assisted living communities where all you need to do is get out your checkbook ;)

Karen said:

It would sound like a dream home for me..... it wouldn't work though.. every day I have another issue added.... lol - I'm to the point now... a retirement home - does not sound bad for me.... they cook, clean,,, etc... all I would have to do is make sure I pay them... lol....

I know I will never have my life back - but have accepted this new one with all the challenges....

Take care

Karen

We raised kitchen counters 4 inches, and used “kitchen” cabinetry (4 inches taller than bath cabinetry) in the baths. Roll in shower with no door and room for shower chair, pedestal washer and dryer on main floor. Hardwood and tile floors, raised dishwasher is one of my faves! Use large drawers instead of lower cabinets in kitchen - they are much easier to access. Easy access from garage and if front door step is needed-make sure railing is installed. Levers for door handles, easy toggle lightswitches. Therapy pool is in my dreams!

I've been dreaming about living in a more PsA-friendly house lately. Mine would include;

- all one floor, no stairs

- wide hallways, doorways, etc.
- laundry hookups in main living area (in hallway closet or similar)

- counters of different heights in kitchen (wheelchair, standard, higher for standing and not having to bend over)

- handicapped accessible tub (roll-in or walk-in, with seat and handles)

- radiant heat floors

There's probably a million other things, but my brain is fried at the moment.

I want one of those walk in tubs that are always advertised on tv for the seniors. I love a good soak, but it’s too hard to get out of the tub sometimes.

My Aunt just had one installed a few months ago, she absolutely loves it. What I like about this type of tub is you do not have to lay at a weird angle that can hurt our neck Can sit and the water can come over the shoulders, its very relaxing and therapeutic

GrumpyCat said:

I want one of those walk in tubs that are always advertised on tv for the seniors. I love a good soak, but it's too hard to get out of the tub sometimes.

I have been drooling over ranch-style floor plans for the last year.

nym said:

I’ve been dreaming about living in a more PsA-friendly house lately. Mine would include;

- counters of different heights in kitchen (wheelchair, standard, higher for standing and not having to bend over)

- radiant heat floors

There’s probably a million other things, but my brain is fried at the moment.

I agree about the raised bath counters. I did a bath reno and put in one kitchen and one bath cabinet for side by side sinks. The kitchen cabinets are taller and deeper so you simply pull the bath one away from the wall and line up the fronts (once the counter is on the bath one there's no way to tell!). I installed surface mounted sinks (vessel sink) on top of granite counters. I was very happy with that design as you don't have to bend down to wash your face, hands, brush your teeth etc. That higher counter and sink was my favorite for sure.

I'm with Seenie. I would get a deep water exercise tub that can be heated to hot tub temp. I'd work out in it at body temp (like at phys therapy) and soak in it at 102F. If you could get it with a treadmill in the bottom that would be perfection!

The idea of an open shower with a bench in a tiled floor bath (wet room) with radiant heat wherever possible is making me green with envy. How about a steam shower? That hot wet heat might be very therapeutic!

Someone has probably mentioned these:

No stairs

Cabinets with shelves within reach

heated floors

washer and dryer that doesn't require bending over

easy to change light fixtures

temperature controlled garage

walk in tub

flooring that is padded (easy on joints)

Paint that is easy to clean

all flooring and countertops made out of stuff that is easy to maintain

wide hallways and open floor plan

I wish I had a ranch style house instead of the split foyer that I have now. It is very hard to deal with the stairs everyday.

GrumpyCat said:

I have been drooling over ranch-style floor plans for the last year.

nym said:

I've been dreaming about living in a more PsA-friendly house lately. Mine would include;

- radiant heat floors

There's probably a million other things, but my brain is fried at the moment.

What a great post! You have some great ideas.....I'm just beginning to think about the years to come so you have sparked a good thing!

By the way, when you are ready.....my husband is a Certified Professional Building Designer if you are interested, let me know. :)

Those are great! A friend of mine has one and I too am envious! :)

Easy peasy....NO STAIRS! Not even ramps. Those things are killers when you are off balance from meds and your knees don't work properly because of inflammation/pain. Also (and this is pretty inexpensive a fix - I've done it in every bathroom in my house) tall toilets with appropriately placed furniture or handles to help get up/down. This was particularly beneficial during my last flare because it hit both knees and my lower back at the same time. Never forget the easy-access tubs and hot tubs that have doors that close and seal so you can walk into them and take a bath! I am seriously coveting one of those right now.

You should stock your kitchen with useful gadgets as well, because cooking without gadgets is murder on inflamed and hurting hands. I have jar openers, an electric can opener, a mandolin to chop/slice etc all kind of veggies for food prep, ergonomic knives that (whether it was intentional in design or not) make it easier to cut with (prepology makes a great set). Also corningwear dishes instead of stonewear because it is much lighter and harder to break when dropped. I am always on the lookout for something that makes housework easier.

When looking at appliances, go the tall route. Laundry is one of my biggest challenges because it downright hurts to bend over to put clothes in/get clothes out of the washer and dryer. I would also love a waist-high dishwasher rather than the low one I have...for the same reasons. High/low sinks and counters so they are comfortably accessed either standing or sitting. I have seen some terrific kitchen designs that work for members of families who aren't disabled, as well as ones who are in wheelchairs. I could go on all day...or night, as the case may be. :) Good luck, my friend!