PsA Dream Home - what features help?

Excellent suggestions tmbrwolf. I had thought to consider what to stock the kitchen with in terms of gadgets and tools. Great observations. Thanks for sharing!

If I get motivated, I guess a could consolidate all of the great comments and suggestions into one concise list ... but not today. Maybe when I am fully caffeinated ;)

We're in the process of designing a new home which we hope will be the last one we ever build. The ideas mentioned in these posts are great ones, and some other ones my builder and I have discussed are:

More drawers in kitchen cabinets rather than cabinets with doors. It's easier to roll out a drawer on a bottom cabinet than it is to sit on the floor to pull out heavy cookware. DEFINITELY have taller countertops.

If it's in your budget, a hot water pot filler above the stove is awesome. We eat a lot of pasta, and my husband or son always have to fill the pot for me and carry it to the stove. I still haven't figured out an easy way to get it from stove to sink to pour out the water, however! I'm still working on that one.

If you have room in your kitchen, a rolling island/cart helps you move things around without having to carry each item (like a lot of ingredients out of the fridge or pantry), and also is a great spot for unloading groceries. It's great for unloading the items in the refrigerator when a good cleaning is necessary, too.

A hand shower as well as an overhead fixture. I used one of these for months as I sat on a shower stool after two foot surgeries.

I love the gadgets mentioned, and one other that I have enjoyed tremendously is an ice cream scoop that begins melting the ice cream in the carton before you scoop it. I think Pampered Chef has one that you shake to warm it up, but mine is from Cutco Cutlery. It doesn't get warm to the touch, but it immediately begins to soften the ice cream when you put it in. It's great!

I love the elevated dishwasher idea. I'm certainly putting that one on my list! Better yet, as Lisa Douglas did on Green Acres, just have all disposable dishes and throw them out the window when you're finished eating!

dandlyons said:

Excellent suggestions tmbrwolf. I had thought to consider what to stock the kitchen with in terms of gadgets and tools. Great observations. Thanks for sharing!

If I get motivated, I guess a could consolidate all of the great comments and suggestions into one concise list ... but not today. Maybe when I am fully caffeinated ;)