Pre-Remicade infusion checklist

Got a call from the Rheumy office yesterday. They are getting approval for Remicade and I'll probably get started next week the way it looks. I'm trying to "get all my ducks in a row" before I start. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Flu vaccination - check

2. Pneumonia vaccination - check

3. Talked with employer about possible days off due to side effects - check

4. Talk with infusion center (chemo treatment area) - check

Anything else that I should do? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Figure out what you want to do during the infusion ... read? watch tv? listen to iPod? Does the infusion center have wifi? Do they offer any other services? Allow food/drink?

I get foot reflexology during my infusion ... and a gluten-free meal (I have celiac).

Do you have someone to drive you to your first infusion? Some people don't feel well enough to drive home - or react to the meds given before the infusion and are too loopy to drive home (like me!!! LOL).

Nym, how long does an infusion last? You advice about what to do during the infusion is great. I also have celiac.

Yep, checked into the wireless. I'll stay connected to my office and probably checkout something on Netflix. I'm getting the infusion done at the medical center that my wife works at. She's going to pick me up at home and take me in (about a 15 minute ride). She's planning on working while I'm sitting, and then she'll take me home. No Benadryl is expected to be given according to my doc so I doubt if I'll get goofy (although I wouldn't mind it...grin).

Never pass the opportunity to get goofy. I know this sounds goofy but you might want to check your Drop Box accounts or set one up for infusion days to make document transfer easier. I actually found the Google one to work better especially with spread sheets.

Michelle - from the time I arrive to the time I leave is usually around 3- 3.5 hours. I arrive, get settled, they go over any changes in medication or how I'm feeling, give me meds, set up iv, wait for meds to work, start infusion, infuse for 2 hours, and usually chat with me for 10 - 15 minutes or so after taking the IV out to make sure there are no immediate reactions or side effects.