Poor memory

Hi just wondering if anyone else is having memory problems due to mtx or enbrel? I have been taking mtx for 6 months and enbrel for 5 weeks and I am having problems with my memory my family have really noticed it.

I think this could be part of the disease because I am not on MTX or Enbrel. I have memory problems as well and did before I started any treatment. I could not take MTX. I drained my energy completely and I started bruising easily. I pass memory tests they give me at the doctors office, but I still have memory problems. They just don't catch it.

Well what I think is...... (whats this thread about again??)

I have big memory problems, my husband and son have noticed it. I have thought it was due to the inflammation due to PsA. Inflammation has a big effect on heart and brain function and is one of the reason we need to reduce inflammation by taking treatment, be it through diet or meds or whatever. The memory problems for me started long before I started medication. I do find my memory is better when the inflammation is reduced. I know some of my memory problems have to do with menopause. I have developed also sorts of memory tricks to deal with it. I have a notebook that goes everywhere with me!

There's a phrase for it: brain fog. Everyone I know with chronic illness suffers from bouts of brain fog...periods of time where our brains just don't work clearly.

Correct. It amazes me honestly how quick we are blame meds.........."brain Fog" and exhaustion is two of the Key Symptoms of the Disease.

Marietta said:

There's a phrase for it: brain fog. Everyone I know with chronic illness suffers from bouts of brain fog...periods of time where our brains just don't work clearly.

I've noticed it but my opinion of it is that this danged PsA takes up too much of my "brain time".

Try as I may to forget about the PsA it's on my mind every time my hip goes "CRACK" orIi have to switch hands when I'm driving. ,, etc.

I think these mental "interruptions" affect my overall memory. I don't know if that conclusion makes any sense but it's as good as anything else I've heard.... I think....

Good Days...........

I would suggest (and the folks across the quad from me in the psych department agree) that the difficulties with memory etc for folks with inflammatory diseases is actually 2 parts.

part one is societal: We simply don't (any of us) use our brains. we are "connected" much of our day where we are fed information, we don't process it and rarely use any critical thinking process's. Our communication with others is the same. In fact we don't even communicate directly or in complete sentences (thus in complete thoughts) I would be very surprised if all of us here haven't referred to a friend at one time or another only to realize if we think about it, we have NEVER MET that friend. Of course with the type disease we have, a lot of us don't get out much. Supposedly we need to journal regularly and beyond just a who what where when type of journal, we need to evaluate and put meaning to it all. Then we are supposed to disconnect, turn off the streaming etc and read actual books with CHAPTERS mixing nonfiction with fiction. In short we need to use our brains. Board games and cards are good too (I don't mean Uno - bridge maybe??)

Part two is disease: Pain makes our brains go soft. But inflammation without pain does the same. But more critical is lack of movement. We build up acids in our muscles, pain gets worse, we get stiff, our brain slows down.... (Cubicle rats can experience it too) Move everything every day, several times a day.......

I've been taking Enbrel now for 15 months. This past November I took an actuarial exam. It included some math and a ton of reading and memorization. The people taking this test have already passed many other other tests, so they know how to study and they know math very well. The pass rate is about 40%. Many of the people taking it are in their late 20s. I'm in my mid 40s (meaning memory has already declined some due to age), I'm on Enbrel, and I passed it just fine. I probably didn't even study as much as the average. Enbrel is not affecting my memory. I don't think Enbrel has any effect on my body whatsoever besides stopping my immune system from attacking my joints. That's the idea of a "targeted" therapy. It just does what you want it do and it doesn't cause any problems.

Congrats on passing the actuarial test Andrew!

Andrew said:

I've been taking Enbrel now for 15 months. This past November I took an actuarial exam. It included some math and a ton of reading and memorization. The people taking this test have already passed many other other tests, so they know how to study and they know math very well. The pass rate is about 40%. Many of the people taking it are in their late 20s. I'm in my mid 40s (meaning memory has already declined some due to age), I'm on Enbrel, and I passed it just fine. I probably didn't even study as much as the average. Enbrel is not affecting my memory. I don't think Enbrel has any effect on my body whatsoever besides stopping my immune system from attacking my joints. That's the idea of a "targeted" therapy. It just does what you want it do and it doesn't cause any problems.

snicker

br/>

tntlamb said:

Well what I think is… (whats this thread about again??)

I'm glad I re-read this thread !!

I'm in my upper 60's and when I have had some memroy issues I began to wonder how much is this being normal, how much maybe a very early symptom of dementia or what. This thread gives me reason to back off of worry. Just in my second week of MTX so far. :-)

I had terrible memory problems when on Mtx. It was so bad...I was afraid I might lose my job. I couldn't remember anything that would usually come easy for me. It was routine stuff I've been doing at work for 10 yrs. It was really scary. Once i went off Mtx is I got better but it took several weeks.

I had a ton of side effects from it.

I'm also glad I saw your thread... I never put the two together. I can't even remember stuff from the night before lately... even if someone explains in detail what it is I've forgotten.

50..... it's the new 80!

Good Days....

The comment by Chris on "interruptions" makes a lot of sense to me. If we're frequently distracted by an owie here and an owie there, it's hard to think a complete thought. I wonder what percentage of our brain power is tied up with just monitoring our pain?

I haven't noticed any memory problems that I can tie to MTX or Enbrel.