Physically and Emotionally Drained

Hi all this is my first time posting, I have had the official diagnosis of PsA for a year in June but have been dealing with the flare ups for at least 3 years. I so done with this mess, and I am desperate for someone to talk to about this. I have been on mtx for a while now and started embrel once a week in January here is where my problem is coming in, I cannot seem to be able to take more than 3 weeks without getting sick then I am off for 2-3 weeks rinse repeat. It is the same sinus/cold infection that is getting me every time, I am miserable I feel like I am shoveling snow in a blizzard. Honestly I have thought about just stopping the two all together and dealing with the pain but I know that isn't a good option either. It seems like I can't even get a head of the pain because just as soon as the embrel starts to work I get sick and have to get off of it and I am in pain again. Sorry for the long rant, I am just so burnt out by it all.

Hi Soccerchick, welcome to the PsA forum. Sorry you're having such a hard time with the Enbrel. Have you talked to your doc about trying a new med? I tried MTX and it made me too sick and then Humira didn't work and just started Remicade.

We are all here to help and provide support.

warmly,

Frances

P.S. I played soccer for 12 years, travel team, Varsity High School and College.

What would be the more likely culprit in the reason I keep getting sick the enbrel or mtx?

Hi Soccerchick, I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your question, but there are many people on this forum who are.

The more likely culprit is the MTX, hands down. In the Enbrel drug study for RA, they had one group on placebo, one group on Enbrel, one group on MTX and one group on both MTX and Enbrel. The placebo group had an infection rate of 39%, the Enbrel group had 50%. The MTX and Enbrel and the MTX alone groups had rates of over 80, but the Enbrel with the MTX was actually a bit better than the MTX alone.

In the Enbrel study for Psoriasis, they just had two groups, Enbrel and placebo. Both had the SAME infection rate.

Infection rate being any type of infection, most likely something like a cold.

If you didn't follow all that... doesn't matter. The point is, MTX doubles your risk of getting sick, whereas Enbrel either does nothing to it, or raises it by about 25%.

Soccerchick said:

What would be the more likely culprit in the reason I keep getting sick the enbrel or mtx?

I feel what your feeling,I have such understanding.lm so sorry,but we need to keep going.l have really low moments.When your having the really low moments life seems so unfair and you see no end to struggle,but then you might get a good day when it’s more under control and your not feeling so low,live for them good days.Make the most of life,which I know really I know is hard to do when your feeling the really low moments.I have found this site a real life saver emotionally talking with people who really know how I’m feeling.Its such a support!!,I hope your day will be a good day soon,I’ve just had one on Monday and I was so ready and needed it,keep posting.Just having the support and people to have a moan to can help.

I am on Mtx, Enbrel and Sulfasalazine. I rarely get any sort of infections or viruses and nothing over the past three years. I might be stating the obvious and you may already be doing this but in case you are not I will put in my suggestion. I do believe that we can protect our bodies somewhat if we make sure we eat foods that are high in anti oxidants and vitamin C. Which will help your immune system and repair damaged cells. I also have eliminated all the nasty overly processed foods and chemicals additives and the saturated and trans fats. This can't do you any harm. Eat some Protein every meal, especially breakfast to help with pain. It will help lower it a little for you.

Thank you bella I’ve been looking into my diet loads especially as I’ve lost so much weight, I’m taking multi vits and fish oil caps,and trying to eat more healthy. It’s definitely an incentive when your not well makes you think.Will use your protein idea see if that helps some.

Bella that is actually my next step is that I need to get my diet together. I just really don't know where to start, I am somewhat of a picky eater so that makes things a bit more difficult for me as well. I take a multivitamin, folic acid, and vit D3 once a day. I plan on adding fish oil once I get to the store (though I am not sure how much I should take).

Hi soccerchick,

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. When my kids were younger, I caught everything they had, and I had a year where I seemed to be sick every couple weeks. It is so very very draining! I hear you on that.

I suspect it is not your Enbrel making you more susceptible to infections, I've been on it for 4 years cumulatively over the past 10 years, and it doesn't make that much difference. I got sick a lot before I was on it, and after. It's more likely the MTX.

It's worth having yourself checked for allergies or seen by an ENT to see if something else is going on up in your sinuses. Sometimes something as simple as a daily nasal spray like Nasonex can keep swelling down in the sinuses, and that can prevent things from clogging and germs getting a foothold in there (when I get sick it always ends up in my sinuses).

Hang in there, this is a great forum, we are all dealing with this disease in different ways. You'll get a lot of advice and SOMETHING will be helpful! :)

Hi Soccerchick,

There are plenty of foods you can eat even if you are a picky eater. The key is 5 vegetables and 3 fruits a day and the less altered the food is from its natural state the better it is for you. For me I avoid those chemical additives and use honey instead of sugar where I can. There is plenty of information on the net about the benefits of anti-oxidants and what vitamin C will do for you. The container of fish oil capsules will tell you the dosage. I hope this helps and I wish you well.

Soccerchick said:

Bella that is actually my next step is that I need to get my diet together. I just really don't know where to start, I am somewhat of a picky eater so that makes things a bit more difficult for me as well. I take a multivitamin, folic acid, and vit D3 once a day. I plan on adding fish oil once I get to the store (though I am not sure how much I should take).