MTX cause infections for anyone else?

I know I have been whining, but I have not asked the question that may make me feel more at ease... Our immune systems are in overdrive until we take MTX or ? ... Has anyone else gotten infections like I am experiencing by taking MTX? If I am the only one, I am really going to feel special and not in a good way. Help, please .... Thank you so much! I love this site! I don't feel alone anymore :)

Part II of above ... I started MTX (again) in February against my better judgment and already have had to stop taking it twice .. this being the longest time (one month and counting)...

I did not get sick more frequently on MTX, or now on leflunomide. What I did find was that it was harder to kick things. So a cold became a sinus infection, and the cough lasted forever. But it wasn't more frequent illnesses. I haven't had to stop taking meds due to illness.

MTX doesn’t seem to do much for me (good or bad), however I seemed to have constant infections (or like Stoney, ones that wouldnt go away) on low-dose steroids. Oddly I was bulletproof on Enbrel, but seem to be susceptible on Humira.

I think it’s very individual, but I’d be very surprised if there aren’t plenty of others more susceptible to infections on MTX. I was like you before I got PsA - rarely got anything, and if I did, got it very mildly.

Hi Jen! How long did you take Enbrel? If I do start a biologic my choices per insurance are Enbrel and Humira. The doc has already ordered Humira (waiting for me at Express Scripts) ... but I certainly do not want to continue battling on two fronts .... Thank you for your input.

Jen said:

MTX doesn't seem to do much for me (good or bad), however I seemed to have constant infections (or like Stoney, ones that wouldnt go away) on low-dose steroids. Oddly I was bulletproof on Enbrel, but seem to be susceptible on Humira.

I think it's very individual, but I'd be very surprised if there aren't plenty of others more susceptible to infections on MTX. I was like you before I got PsA - rarely got anything, and if I did, got it very mildly.

Stoney - is Leflunomide a biologic or more similar to MTX?

Stoney said:

I did not get sick more frequently on MTX, or now on leflunomide. What I did find was that it was harder to kick things. So a cold became a sinus infection, and the cough lasted forever. But it wasn't more frequent illnesses. I haven't had to stop taking meds due to illness.

Tootles- Leflunomide is a DMARD, in the same class as MTX. I didn't tolerate MTX well, and it did nothing for me (with no biologic). Leflunomide, AKA Arava, works well for me, and is better tolerated.

Thank you, Stoney ... I will check into this one :)

Stoney said:

Tootles- Leflunomide is a DMARD, in the same class as MTX. I didn't tolerate MTX well, and it did nothing for me (with no biologic). Leflunomide, AKA Arava, works well for me, and is better tolerated.