"People your age don't have health issues"

Hi all,
I just want to start off by saying I really am not posting this to offend anyone and if I do I’m sorry.
I’m 22 and was diagnosed a little over a year ago and I am just over hearing about how, “great young people have it” or; how I’m “wasting my youth” because I don’t go wake boarding and skating and I certainly don’t go out drinking.
I guess I’m on a bit of a rant because earlier today my co-workers were complaining about being old and because I was in the room they started talking about how I’m twenty-two(I should mention my co-workers are all older than myself, ranging from 29-65) and I’m so lucky because “people your age don’t have health problems”. When I said “oh yes we do” my co-workers went on to tell me how I’ll see when I get older and I’m naive about life and getting old. I then just gave a little laugh and left because I prefer not to discuss my arthritis with others. I just don’t get where people come up with youth meaning health. It just makes me frustrated when everyone thinks I’m a crazy little party animal, and I should be living up the weekends; when in reality I couldn’t get myself out of bed alone for over a year. I rely on pills and harsh injections to keep my body balanced and help me to show up and function every day.
Sorry for the rant, but I am very thankful I had somewhere to share… Thanks

2 Likes

Oh man. I can definitely relate. I’m 26 and was diagnosed last year and it’s certainly a struggle when everyone assumes all twenty-somethings are in prime health. And it makes you feel horrible when the disease has you walking slower than most 90 year olds. Like you, I prefer not to discuss the disease with anyone besides family/close friends and my doctor. I think most people are uneducated regarding how debilitating an autoimmune disease like this can be, and how it often starts at a young age.

3 Likes

I didn’t think I should have prostate cancer at 56 either, but guess what. My doc said it hurts him when he has a teenager in his office with PsA. It knows no age.

I’m sorry to hear about the cancer, which also knows no age. These diseases run rampant in bodies from young to old, changing you in ways you never thought they could.

1 Like

Hi FK25,
I hope they meant that typically young people feel better than old people! I can’t believe they’re so naïve to think young people can’t be sick with just about any disease. I hope less young people get disease, because it just doesn’t seem fair. To me, it only seems fair that young people should be strong and able and pain-free! But, unfortunately, that’s not reality.

For me, I do feel worse the older I get, but I was lucky to not be diagnosed with PsA until my 50s. I can’t imagine dealing with that stuff at a younger age!

All we can hope is that science will discover more and more safe ways to alleviate the symptoms and, maybe someday, cure PsA and all the other nasty diseases that plague so many people, young and old!

1 Like

I was diagnosed at 36 and always heard that too, that I was too young for arthritis. I would point out that I was exactly the right age. Meanwhile my 16 year old seems to have the start of PsA now.

For most people is reasonable to associate young age and good health. Even if they knew that you had arthritis they would likely forget and talk that way anyway. Your best bet is to walk away and ignore their nonsense

But the other thing to keep in mind is that if your disease is under good control you’ll likely feel significantly better, depending on the level of damage. I know that overall I feel better at 47 than I did at 36 with a one year old.

2 Likes

Ooooh, I feel for you and can understand that frustration. We are most I am sure guilty at times of generalising and making assumptions and in general the older you get the more aches and pains you get. I pass my PsA of to people I don’t want to talk to about it as as being “I’m fine thanks, just suffering the aches, pains and stiffness that come with increasing age” when asked how I am.
You obviously hide your horrible symptoms very well and I’m sure put a brave smile on to help you cope and so as not to have to discuss it with those you don’t wish to. We also often look well despite the PsA which helps hide this wretched disease. As they say looks can be very deceptive.
I’m so frustrated that at my age in my 50’s I can’t do the things I always planned and dreamt of doing and things that people my age are mostly capable of doing. I am newly diagnosed (but have had symptoms creeping on for the last few years) and am looking forward optimistically to regaining a more active and painfree lifestyle in the years ahead now I’m having treatment.
I can feel your pain at not being able to do the things that people of a similar age to you can do and that people assume you are able to. I’m so sorry that you have been unlucky and developed PsA at such an early age, I do hope you are lucky and able to gain real benefit from the available treatment options, which continue to improve, and that you are able to live a fulfilled and enjoyable life.

`

Just a quick reply, gotta get to get to the skate park in time to warm up for the skate-off. And lordy, have I got a hangover from that party last night!

The other side of the coin is that when you’re older (60 was the watershed in my experience) everything gets blamed on ageing.

We cannot win! Well, we can, 'cos somehow we make sure we do. Sort of, anyway. And I just want to say that I hate that you have PsA so young, and I do know that young people can get ill. Your co-workers are daft. You could just briefly tell them you have inflammatory arthritis even if you don’t wish to discuss it further than that.

Glad you shared this!

1 Like