NSAIDs

I had a question. I have been taking one NSAID or another since I was initially diagnosed, and had plaquenil added in when that wasn't enough. At this point, I am supposed to be taking leflunomide (a DMARD), diclofenac (and NSAID) and plaquenil.

I have started using turmeric, and have weaned myself off of the NSAID, though I expect that I will need it come spring. So what I am wondering is, is it standard practice to include an NSAID in the long term regimen? If you are on a DMARD or a biologic, shouldn't that be taking care of much of the cause of the inflammation, rather than treating the symptom?

It always used to be. But I'm hearing more and more of people NOT having NSAID's in their long term plan.

I myself have taken one or another for 30 yrs. In the past 5 yrs I had to cut back due to bleeding issues. I end up having to take more narcotic pain killers instead.

Thanks Marietta. That's my concern, is the long term issues associated with the use of NSAIDs. But of course, narcotic pain killers are less than ideal as well.

I of course can only speak for my own situation. I am on a mixture of meds (NSAIDs, DMARDs..) because not one med treats all the things that are going on effectively on their own. And again, only from my experiences there's a ton of opinions on what is the right way and what is the wrong way when it comes to the meds. I have talked with my rheumy in great detail about the cocktail of meds I am on. As of right now, if I try to adjust or take myself off a certain med, I can definately feel the difference. Actually I tried to adjust the treatment on my own and with no success other than increased pain and swelling lol and my rheumy said to me.....I prescribed the meds for a reason and of course he is right. So I will just sit tight because as of right now the NSAIDs are set for long term treatment, or at least that's the plan. I too have started taking turmeric. The only thing I do is try to use it more in the natural state when cooking other than just taking a synthetic pill.

I'm not sure if I have helped or even answered your questions. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Good luck to you

Thanks. My rheumy will likely say the same thing, but the turmeric seems to be taking the place. I'l discuss it more with her on my next visit. This is the first time that I've been able to cut out the NSAIDs ever.

Care to share more about the turmeric? What kind, dose and how it helps (pain relief?). Cheers! ~ Jane

I've been taking Zyflamend, which is a mix. It's from New Chapter, you can look it up. . .. I take 2 capsules a day. Other people simply put ( alot) on their food, or take turmeric only capsules. On Dr. Weil's website there was interesting information.

Jane,

Turmeric is a spice that has been used in cooking for a very long time. It has been found to have properties that naturally help with inflamation among other benefits. You can buy it in pill form at most stores or you can buy it as a spice that can be added to foods that you cook. I prefer to use it that way but also take it in pill form. It does seem to work. But like anything else I passed it by my rheumy first to make sure there were no problems and got the green light. Look into Turmeric and I think you will be shocked the good things it does that most don't know about. Heck I didn't know until I got to this point and found it through research :)

Here is a link I found that lists some of the potential benefits....

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric...

Thanks! I have a friend who practices Reiki and she mentioned it, too. I will look into it more and, of course, talk to the rheumatologist.

Livinday2day said:

Jane,

Turmeric is a spice that has been used in cooking for a very long time. It has been found to have properties that naturally help with inflamation among other benefits. You can buy it in pill form at most stores or you can buy it as a spice that can be added to foods that you cook. I prefer to use it that way but also take it in pill form. It does seem to work. But like anything else I passed it by my rheumy first to make sure there were no problems and got the green light. Look into Turmeric and I think you will be shocked the good things it does that most don't know about. Heck I didn't know until I got to this point and found it through research :)

Here is a link I found that lists some of the potential benefits....

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric...