Turmeric

Has anyone heard of taking Turmeric to help with the inflammation? I ran into a dietician at Costco one day and she recommended it to help with arthritic inflammation. I am giving it a shot. anyone else try it?

ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is one of nature's most powerful anti-inflammatories and has helped me tremendously with all my tendon problems. Here is what you do ... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE SUPPLEMENTS. They are a waste of money. Buy fresh tumeric root. Take the tumeric roots and throw them in your food processor to grind them up. You MUST KEEP THE SKIN - so just grind it all up whole. Mix in some lemon and honey. Keep it in your fridge and take several teaspoons per day. Toss it in your smoothies, mix it into stir fry ... whatever you want to do just get it into your system. I usually just take a spoonful of it straight and chase it with water and then I grab a spoonful of pudding to wash it down cuz it's rather bitter tasting and I don't like it. I swear by fresh tumeric as an anti-inflammatory but you have to make sure to get a lot of it in your body. Also, try kelp drops daily mixed in water. This is not an anti-inflammatory but it helps your cell walls become more pliable and receptive to the tumeric. I have found the combination to be a powerful one. And don't forget your Omega threes. :-) Good luck! Rebecca

YES, I have heard it from several sources! I take it daily and try to cook with it when I can. I can't say if it works exactly bc I take other supplements too and do acupuncture, and also have eliminated tons of stuff from my diet. This is my cocktail for pain-free PsA existence without meds. I can't say that I am 100% pain-free or fatigue free, but I am prescription drug free.

Good luck!

Hi Rebecca! So good to hear your reply! Thank you!!! I am doing a cleanse right now (10 day juice feast, plus 6 days of raw veg and fruit on both sides), and I did find the actual turmeric root for the first time....but i didn't know what to do with it! Are you medicine free now? What else do you take for your PsA? Please share!

Thanks,

Andie

Rebecca said:

ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is one of nature's most powerful anti-inflammatories and has helped me tremendously with all my tendon problems. Here is what you do ... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE SUPPLEMENTS. They are a waste of money. Buy fresh tumeric root. Take the tumeric roots and throw them in your food processor to grind them up. You MUST KEEP THE SKIN - so just grind it all up whole. Mix in some lemon and honey. Keep it in your fridge and take several teaspoons per day. Toss it in your smoothies, mix it into stir fry ... whatever you want to do just get it into your system. I usually just take a spoonful of it straight and chase it with water and then I grab a spoonful of pudding to wash it down cuz it's rather bitter tasting and I don't like it. I swear by fresh tumeric as an anti-inflammatory but you have to make sure to get a lot of it in your body. Also, try kelp drops daily mixed in water. This is not an anti-inflammatory but it helps your cell walls become more pliable and receptive to the tumeric. I have found the combination to be a powerful one. And don't forget your Omega threes. :-) Good luck! Rebecca

It is one of those things that "can't hurt". I wouldn't expect miracles, and may not do much on its own. A combination of healthy diet with a concentration of liver loving foods, and anti-inflammatory foods is never a bad thing. I take turmeric. I personally don't notice a big change, but it may take time.

Hi Andie,

My main anti-inflammatories are as follows: Omega 3's, FRESH tumeric (it has to has to has to has to be fresh ... the supplements don't do anything, I can't stress that enough), liquid kelp drops, Reishi mushroom supplements, and kale (I make a smoothie daily that has kale in it). Keep at it! :-) Rebecca

Ilysoph said:

Hi Rebecca! So good to hear your reply! Thank you!!! I am doing a cleanse right now (10 day juice feast, plus 6 days of raw veg and fruit on both sides), and I did find the actual turmeric root for the first time....but i didn't know what to do with it! Are you medicine free now? What else do you take for your PsA? Please share!

Thanks,

Andie

Rebecca said:

Talk to me about your diet. What have you removed? Added? I google to see what foods are good or bad for PsA. Rather vague answers other than 'eat healthy'. Do you have specifics that you can share with us? Thank you.

Sonna

Ilysoph said:

YES, I have heard it from several sources! I take it daily and try to cook with it when I can. I can't say if it works exactly bc I take other supplements too and do acupuncture, and also have eliminated tons of stuff from my diet. This is my cocktail for pain-free PsA existence without meds. I can't say that I am 100% pain-free or fatigue free, but I am prescription drug free.

Good luck!

Yes I have heard this. I have noticed that when I eat Indian food I do feel better the next day.

There is a psoriasis treatment diet out there. I have an old copy from a naturalpathic chiropractor friend of mind, but I recently discovered that it is also available on Amazon. Years ago I used it and my psoriasis lesions disappeared and I had thick scaly plaque psoriasis before trying it. In a matter of weeks I had lesions 8" in diameter shrink down to 1" and then dissappear.

The diet is more than a diet. It involves lymph health, pressure point therapy for liver and pancreas, as well as dietary measures and supplements. It is very difficult to stay on long term. I've been getting back into it to see if it would improve the ps and psa.

The highlights of the plan:

1. Things to avoid: alcohol, pork, simple sugars, too much starch
  2. Liver supplements: Red Clover Combination
  3. Eat cruciferous veggies, eggs, lean proteins
  4. recommended fruits: grapefruit, oranges, berries, watermelon, cantaloupe
  5. pressure point therapy daily for liver and pancreas health

I was so sceptical years ago when trying this but was amazed. The other amazing side effect was that I shrunk down to a size 6 and had lost 40 lbs.

The title of the pamphlet is "Psoriasis can be Cured", but I feel that it is not a cure, but a way to put the psoriasis into remission or improve it dramatically. It is too rigid to be considered a cure because if you go off of it, the symptoms do return. In my opinion a cure is a removal of disease, not maintenance of symptoms. Nonetheless, it was helpful to me personally. Again, I am not putting this out there as a cure, but as something that worked for me when I first tried it. Everyone is different, so I cannot say if another person would experience the same success.

http://www.amazon.com/Psoriasis-can-cured-Robert-Connolly/dp/B00071OVYI

I'm doing it again to see if it helps my psa as well as the ps and to lose weight.

My girlfriend who fights with myofascial pain syndrome recommended it to me after my diagnosis and I am using it. Too soon to tell a difference, and I am taking other natural things for pain and inflammation including ginger and milk thistle. I say if it can't hurt, give it a try.

Got this from WEBMD, you have to stop it, before surgery...and it can interaction with other meds. Always check with your doctor first, before taking supplements

Moderate InteractionBe cautious with this combination

• Medications that slow blood clotting (Anticoagulant / Antiplatelet drugs) interacts with TURMERIC

Turmeric might slow blood clotting. Taking turmeric along with medications that also slow clotting might increase the chances of bruising and bleeding.
    Some medications that slow blood clotting include aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam, others), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, others), dalteparin (Fragmin), enoxaparin (Lovenox), heparin, warfarin (Coumadin), and others.

Tumeric Tea is a great way to get some into your diet if you don't care for Indian food. Do an internet search for it to get the recipe.

I have heard of this, but haven't tried it yet - I will now!!

I have also changed my diet - removed wheat and most can sugar and refined sugar as well as diary - I am not totally pain/symptom free but I do feel good and am medication free for several months now. I did have a flare a couple of months ago but dealt with it with physiotherapy, massage and exercise. :)

Done with all these remedies! Tried even cinnamon/clove tea to relieve pain and avoid opiates, (it worked!) and ended up with liver complications. Now they even took my PsA meds away because my liver got compromised. I dropped the tea and my liver got better--but the damage is done and irreversible. My motto now is: nothing in excess, all on moderation. Oh, and NO CINNAMON! Bad for the liver.

Great point.

tkrlady said:

Got this from WEBMD, you have to stop it, before surgery...and it can interaction with other meds. Always check with your doctor first, before taking supplements

• Medications that slow blood clotting (Anticoagulant / Antiplatelet drugs) interacts with TURMERIC

Turmeric might slow blood clotting. Taking turmeric along with medications that also slow clotting might increase the chances of bruising and bleeding.
    Some medications that slow blood clotting include aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam, others), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, others), dalteparin (Fragmin), enoxaparin (Lovenox), heparin, warfarin (Coumadin), and others.

Hi Sonna,
Right now, I m in the process of ending a cleanse/ detox so I am only eating fruits and veggies, but when I am not doing this I am a vegan (although I do eat fish sometimes), also gluten-free, sugar-free, artificial sweetener-free, soy -free, alcohol free, caffeine free. I know it is a lot that I have eliminated, and I am far from perfect at doing it. But the research I have done has lead to this. The above stuff that I eliminate is all inflammatory, and the point is to remove every opportunity for an inflammatory reaction. I also do acupuncture, take Chinese herbs and try to hit the gym 2-3 times per week (haven’t done that lately tho). This has been my recipe to stay prescription med free. I am not always pain free, and I have my share of fatigue too, but so do those on meds I hear on here… I am hoping this will continue to work.
All the best to you!!

tkrlady and Gelita bring up valid points. Although there are a number of positives linked with Turmeric, there are also things that need attention if you have added it or if you are considering adding it to the remedy of things you take. One should always talk with their doctor for the best advice.

tkrlady

Gelita

Done with all these remedies! Tried even cinnamon/clove tea to relieve pain and avoid opiates, (it worked!) and ended up with liver complications. Now they even took my PsA meds away because my liver got compromised. I dropped the tea and my liver got better--but the damage is done and irreversible. My motto now is: nothing in excess, all on moderation. Oh, and NO CINNAMON! Bad for the liver.