Hello, I'm new to this disease, I lost my wife a year and 3 months ago, she tied tragically leaving behind myself and our 16 year old daughter. I started to develop what I thought was just some eczema and later developed more psoriasis rashes about 3 months after my wife passed away. I have been seeing a dermatologist to keep the symptoms down and it seemed to be helping. almost a year later I noticed that my ankle on my left foot was swelling. I thought I may have hit and bruised it. However it wasn't getting better so I went to my doctors and they did and xray and could not determine what was wrong. Therefore, I decided to do my own research and learned about PsA. I went back to my Dermatologist and she recommended seeing a rheumatologist per my recommendation from research. Funny how that works. So I went to the rheumatologist and after blood work and an exam he determined I have PsA. So currently I am doing a methotrexate treatment orally and haven't experienced any of the horrible side effects but I did read that I shouldn't take any NSAID's or ibuprofren while doing this treatment because it may cause complications. I do take turmeric 1050mg's and started that about 2 months ago for my shoulder because I had shoulder surgery about 8 months ago. I was also given Vol Taren but that's a NSAID and I'm afraid to take it. Any suggestions or advice to this 1sttimer, wouldn't mind hearing from someone.

Welcome to the group! I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

It sounds as though your doctor is being very conservative with the NSAID issue. It is fairly common for people to take a disease modifying drug such as MTX with an NSAID. If you are using an NDAID round the clock, you should talk to your doctor about also using a PPI such as Prilosec. In addition, if you are not taking a folic acid supplement with the MTX this is also something you should bring up with your doctor.

I typically try to minimize my use of oral NSAIDS, and use them when I have many joints involved. For one or two joints, voltaren gel is a good option. If you are in the states, this is by prescription, but it works well when only a few joints are troublesome.

It sounds like you are already doing a great job in advocating for yourself and doing your homework.

Thanks for your feedback Stoney, and yes I am taking folic acid as well, forgot to mention that. My doctor didn't say I couldn't take NSAID's it's just what I read in my prescription information that had me concerned, I plan on calling him to ask if it's okay. I also take turmeric daily as well. This morning both ankles were really hurting. I just started this treatment 2 weeks ago I hope it helps.

Stoney said:

Welcome to the group! I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

It sounds as though your doctor is being very conservative with the NSAID issue. It is fairly common for people to take a disease modifying drug such as MTX with an NSAID. If you are using an NDAID round the clock, you should talk to your doctor about also using a PPI such as Prilosec. In addition, if you are not taking a folic acid supplement with the MTX this is also something you should bring up with your doctor.

I typically try to minimize my use of oral NSAIDS, and use them when I have many joints involved. For one or two joints, voltaren gel is a good option. If you are in the states, this is by prescription, but it works well when only a few joints are troublesome.

It sounds like you are already doing a great job in advocating for yourself and doing your homework.

Hi 1sttimer and welcome.

I hardly know what to say to acknowledge all you've been through. I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. And I do hope that your PsA responds well to treatment, it very often does.

My thoughts were the same as Stoney's re. NSAIDs. I have a rolling prescription for NSAIDs that has carried on since diagnosis in 2012 and I've been on Methotrexate and / or other DMARDs throughout that time. I took Naproxen (an NSAID) plus a PPI daily for about the first 6 months, when pain was at its worst. My rheumatologist is always pleased to hear that I don't need NSAIDs anymore but they stay on the prescription just in case I do. And it does sound to me as if you need these painkillers at the moment.

I found that Methotrexate did help with pain and reduced joint stiffness considerably. But it does take a long time to 'kick in', perhaps as much as 8 weeks or more. I know that sounds dreadful but for me it helped more and more little by little so the initial wait was worth it. Incidentally, it's great that you're not experiencing side effects but even so you might still want to ensure that you drink plenty of water which is one of the best safeguards against Mtx side effects.

Keeping moving can help with PsA pain. In fact exercise just seems to be good medicine for most PsA symptoms. I guess that badly affected ankles don't make exercise too easy but anything you can do to keep the joints moving and supple, such as physio, swimming, stretching exercises etc., may well help with pain and joint strength / mobility.

Quite a few of us here have been taking turmeric either on its own or alongside NSAIDs. There are a couple of discussions about that in the Complementary Therapies section.

If pain gets really bad it might be worth asking your rheumy about steroid injections. But hopefully you'll see improvement soon. You certainly do seem to have taken control of the disease from the start and I think that's half the battle. Good luck to you.

Welcome! What a tough year you've had. I hope things are on more of an even keel for you in 2016! The issue with NSAIDS and Mtx is that both affect the liver. It would definitely be worth talking with your doctor about anti inflammatory drug options while on Mtx. You should be getting bloodwork done every so often to check for liver issues while on mtx, so they should also be able to monitor whether or not the addition of a NSAID is harmful.

Thanks NYM

Welcome! I am sorry to hear about your wife. That alone is enough to be a life changer, but then having PSA develop has to be icing on the cake. I hope all of this brings you and your daughter closer. Sounds like you are way advanced at being an advocate for your own health, which is wonderful, you might even teach us all a few things, lol! Glad you found us and hope you begin enjoy this community as much as I do. Good luck and hope you continue to post and as questions.