New to PsA

Hello, im new here so just finding my way around this site, I was diagnosed on the 29th sept 2011 and am just into my third week of mexothrate, first bloods taken today, i still have a good deal of pain but my rhumy gave me steriod injection to settle every thing down, i dont suffer with psoriaisis, but my sister does, my mum and other sister have crohns, and my grandmother had psoriasis, also,I had dermatitis and exema for years when i was younger, so i guess i have the gene alright,… :slight_smile: I feel i finally have an answer, for all the pain over the last few years, two arthrocopys on my knee, next op will be knee replacement (surgeons words), injections into SI joint, Pains in sides of feet, fingers and elbows ouccchhhh :frowning: bit nervous on this med but still on pain killers and ibrobrofen, well looking forward to getting to know you all, and sharing all the news with you, by the way is there a lot of you with no psoraisis out there, with this condition and will it get worse over time??

Welcome, Sheila!

It's great you finally got a diagnosis and some treatment - hoping your pain goes away soon!!!

I've had psoriasis most of my life, but not so much lately - and this year I'm having a HUGE PsA flare and finally (after over 20 years!) got a diagnosis of PsA. I have liver problems, so can't take mtx - I'll be starting Enbrel this week.

Hi Nym, thank you for the reply, sorry about your psoriasis, my sister has it from her head to her toes, such an awful disease, but she doesnt get psa, my sister with the crohns, got a few flares of psoriasis, but no Psa, strange the way it goes, hope you will feel better on the Enbrel, I know how painful the flares can be, owwww :(

Hi, Sheila

I'm newly diagnosed with PsA too, and in my first month of Mx treatment as well. I don't have skin patches at all! (In fact, I have a really beautiful complexion, always have!) What I do have is nail involvement, first toenails and lately fingernails. For years, I tried -- in vain -- to get rid of it. Systemic big-guns antifungals did nothing. I gave up and didn't bother the doc about it any more. Figured it was vanity ... now we realize it was psoriasis. Just goes to show.

I have "it" in my mid foot. Not in the hands, or the toes where it usually starts, no, it's in my TMT joints. My arch is falling, my foot is deforming and it hurts. Walking is difficult. My podiatrist, who discovered the problem by taking an x-ray, is my best friend at the moment.

Interesting point: I have two knee replacements. My rheumy wondered out loud whether it might have been PsA and not Osteoarthritis, like they said it was. Good question, but academic.

The Mx isn't too bad (I get a bit of a headache) but it makes me SO TIIIIIRED the next day. It hasn't kicked in yet, so I am taking a short course of prednisone this week to get a bit of a break from the pain. I do not know how people with young childen or jobs cope with this. I guess I'm lucky to be retired with a good drug plan. Gotta look for the bright side.

Take care!

Clasina

Hi Seenie,

thanks for the reply, Oh its great having a diagnosis, I have gone through more test for back pain, SI joint was the cause, been having injections under xray into the joint, which gives some relief, knee looks so deformed now, its horrible, and my index finger on right hand is mis-shaped also,. My feet on the outside, are so sore to walk, and if i even try to massage them they can be so sore, my right hand is so sore at the moment, well the fingers and my two elbows are swollen, but had a steroid injection so hopefully it will settle down a bit, :( the Mx im on my third week, yes a little headache and wow, the tiredness is awful, but try to take rests during the day, im a stay at home mom, and they are now aged 14 and 12 so not too bad.

hope you feel better soon, how much Mx a week are you on, im on 15mg, and 5mg folic acid, how often will you be getting bloods, i had my first one taken yesterday, he said depending on results he will let me know when to come in for another ?

take care, :)

sheila

Seenie said:

Hi, Sheila

I'm newly diagnosed with PsA too, and in my first month of Mx treatment as well. I don't have skin patches at all! (In fact, I have a really beautiful complexion, always have!) What I do have is nail involvement, first toenails and lately fingernails. For years, I tried -- in vain -- to get rid of it. Systemic big-guns antifungals did nothing. I gave up and didn't bother the doc about it any more. Figured it was vanity ... now we realize it was psoriasis. Just goes to show.

I have "it" in my mid foot. Not in the hands, or the toes where it usually starts, no, it's in my TMT joints. My arch is falling, my foot is deforming and it hurts. Walking is difficult. My podiatrist, who discovered the problem by taking an x-ray, is my best friend at the moment.

Interesting point: I have two knee replacements. My rheumy wondered out loud whether it might have been PsA and not Osteoarthritis, like they said it was. Good question, but academic.

The Mx isn't too bad (I get a bit of a headache) but it makes me SO TIIIIIRED the next day. It hasn't kicked in yet, so I am taking a short course of prednisone this week to get a bit of a break from the pain. I do not know how people with young childen or jobs cope with this. I guess I'm lucky to be retired with a good drug plan. Gotta look for the bright side.

Take care!

Clasina

Hi, Sheila

I had 2 weeks on 7.5 and I can't say I felt anything. Now I am in the middle of 4 weeks at 15 mg. Headachy on Mx day, so tired the next day, then fine. In two weeks I step it up to 20 mg. Wonder what that will be like! No sign of improvement yet, but it has only been 4 weeks.

By the way, are you taking pills or shots? I asked for shots (had read that some studies show shots work better) but the docs said "Naaah, we save that for people who really can't tolerate the oral meds."

I'm scheduled for bloodwork every 4 weeks for now. I have a fabulous rheumatologist (who is connected to a teaching hospital) who I simply love. I am so so lucky in this way.

So nice to find people who really understand ... I've told a few people, and I just get this stunned look and something like "oh, bummer, my grandma had arthritis". LOL!

Clasina