Newly diagnosed with PsA

Newly diagnosed 3 months ago. I have had mild psoriasis for about 7 years on elbow and scalp. Developed an extremely swollen middle finger and saw my PCP who referred me immediately to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with PsA. He started me on methotrexate and folic acid which made me worse. After about 4 weeks I got a terrible pain in my shoulder and could not even sleep on it and my toe swelled up. I was so nauseated I could not even eat. I could not even get through the day without saying a few choice words and bawling. I was on the methotrexate for a total of 6 weeks. I contacted my rheumatologist who said I was one of those who could not tolerate the methotrexate. He started me on a tapering course of prednisone and Enbrel (5 weeks now) and I am noting great improvement. Swelling still present, though. He made the comment that he wished I could be on methotrexate as well but he knows I cannot tolerate it. He also has me on Naproxen x2 daily, famotidine (Pepcid) x2 daily and 1/2 of a prednisone tab once daily. I see him in about a month. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is important that I be on something else along with the Enbrel. I don't know if it is such a good idea to stay on NSAIDs for the long haul. I know the famotidine was given to help for any stomach issues. I was really shocked to get this diagnosis, but I am feeling extremely lucky to have access to the Enbrel. I know there are a lot of people who do not have access to this wonderful drug due to insurance/cost reasons. My new name for this disease is the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pains. I am glad to have found this site. Everyone seems so supportive. After all, we do need to stick together.

Hi there, Deb. Good that you’ve joined us, but bad that you’ve had to. Yes, the sisterhood (and brotherhood) indeed!

It’s a bummer, but there are some bright spots in your story. You have a PCP who recognized what you probably had, and you got to a rheumy fast. The rheumatologist is treating you early and aggressively, which gives you the best chance of avoiding permanent joint damage. And from the sounds of it, you have coverage for Enbrel. Three blessings to count!

If you haven’t already found it, here’s a great, readable and comprehensive book on the disease:

http://www.amazon.com/Psoriatic-Arthritis-Facts-ebook/dp/B003FNAI8S…

At $9.50, the e-book is a bargain!

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Seenie

Thank you so much, Seenie. Yes, I do have the coverage for Enbrel, and I do have three blessings to count. Thanks for the book info. I will definitely check it out.

Seenie said:

Hi there, Deb. Good that you've joined us, but bad that you've had to. Yes, the sisterhood (and brotherhood) indeed!

It's a bummer, but there are some bright spots in your story. You have a PCP who recognized what you probably had, and you got to a rheumy fast. The rheumatologist is treating you early and aggressively, which gives you the best chance of avoiding permanent joint damage. And from the sounds of it, you have coverage for Enbrel. Three blessings to count!

If you haven't already found it, here's a great, readable and comprehensive book on the disease:
http://www.amazon.com/Psoriatic-Arthritis-Facts-ebook/dp/B003FNAI8S...
At $9.50, the e-book is a bargain!

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Seenie

Thank you so much, Seenie. Yes, I do have the coverage for Enbrel, and you are right, I do have the three blessings. Thanks for your reply and I definitely will check out the book. Thanks again.

Hi I too could not tolerate the methotrexate it made me I’ll I have also tried sulfasalazine and that was the same in January the rheumy put me on Enbrel but my disease is still severely active about two weeks ago he gave me Leflunamide to take with the enbrel but this has also been stopped due to the allergic reactions if you are already noticing improvements then that is a good sign maybe you don’t need anything else with it my rheumy has only tried the other medications alongside the enbrel because he cannot get the Psa under control

Catherine said:
Hi I too could not tolerate the methotrexate it made me I'll I have also tried sulfasalazine and that was the same in January the rheumy put me on Enbrel but my disease is still severely active about two weeks ago he gave me Leflunamide to take with the enbrel but this has also been stopped due to the allergic reactions if you are already noticing improvements then that is a good sign maybe you don't need anything else with it my rheumy has only tried the other medications alongside the enbrel because he cannot get the Psa under control

Thanks Catherine. I was wondering about the Leflunamide. I will see what he says when I go back to him. I am feeling better but still have a swollen toe and finger. They are not painful though.