New oral treatment approved for psoriatic arthritis

National Psoriasis Foundation
ANNOUNCEMENT | MARCH 2014

Having trouble? View as web page
National Psoriasis Foundation logo

New oral treatment approved for psoriatic arthritis

People with psoriatic arthritis may find a new treatment choice a little easier to swallow.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Otezla (apremilast), a twice-daily 30-milligram (mg) tablet, for adults with active psoriatic arthritis.

How it works

Celgene manufactures Otezla, an oral treatment that targets an enzyme known as phosphodiesterase 4, or PDE4, to regulate inflammation in people with psoriatic arthritis and help control the disease.

When can I get it?

Otezla tablets are expected to be available beginning April 2 and will be offered through a network of specialty, or mail delivery, pharmacies that coordinate the distribution of drugs to treat complex diseases.

What about side effects?

In clinical trials, the most common side effects were diarrhea, nausea and headache, which occurred during the first two weeks and tended to lessen with continued treatment.

Otezla shows promise for treating psoriasis, too

Late last year, Celgene also filed for FDA approval for use of Otezla in the treatment of psoriasis and may be approved in the Fall of 2014.

Get more information about Otezla at www.Otezla.com or call 1.844.4OTEZLA (1.844.468.3952)

Is there either a generic available or help with co-pay?

I don't know if there's a generic. You can call the drug company for info on financial assistance. If they don't have financial assistance check out the list of financial drug/healthcare support programs that I posted.

If the drug is going to be available April 2 there will be no generic yet. It takes about 7- 10 years for the patent to run out on new drugs. Once the patent runs out the "recipe" is available for all drug companies to produce generics if they wish too.