New member hello

Hi! My name is Carol I was diagnosed on Sept. 30th with psoriatic arthritis, I have had pain for two years, severe joint pain. I really didn’t think much of it, I told the dr at different times but he didnt think anything till I told him I had psoriasis the only thing that upsets me is I have a number of surgeries on my hips many years ago for the tendons and also surgeries for tennis elbow and I never played tennis the tendons tore away from the bone. I can’t change the past I need to go forward. I have to say the past two years I have really suffered with joint pain and tiredness. I was afraid to take the MTx but decided I need my life back and I have to give it a try!! I am so happy I Found this group!! I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist he did many X-rays I have inflammation in my sacroiliac joints about a year ago I had trouble sitting and was told it could be my tail bone, I finally know the diagnosis a little shocked none the less. Sorry for rambling on.

Hi Carol!

thanks for introducing yourself and welcome! Glad you're giving the MTX a try. Some drugs can seem scary because of the side effects and the warning labels. But PsA is a scary disease and living with a little nausea in order to keep your mobility is likely a decent trade-off.

Ask questions on the discussion board and you can search the discussions for particular questions you might have, too. Cheers!

Welcome Carol! I'm glad to hear that you are now properly diagnosed, and can start treatment. Hopefully you'll find a medication that works well to control inflammation on the first try. You've got a good attitude. . . . looking forward is definitely the way to go.

So happy to "meet" you, and look forward to reading more from you in the future! It is so frustrating going through the diagnostic process because there really are no definitive tests that point and say "AHA! You have Psoriatic Arthritis!!!!" Wouldn't that be nice?!? Glad you've decided to give the MTX a try. I take MTX combined with Enbrel, though the MTX/Remicaide combination did work better for me. Every person is different, and every person has different experiences with the meds. When you get frustrated, come on here! At least one other person will have experienced similar thing, and will have valuable advice.

Hi there, Carol! It’s so nice to meet you, and I’m really happy for you that you have a diagnosis now. Not happy that it’s PsA, but at least you know what you are dealing with. My doctors missed my PsA too, and missed it for almost twenty years. Like you, I told them of the fatigue, the aching, the sore joints. (All blamed on the “usual suspects” and I blamed myself.) I had two knees replaced. I got sore feet. I was not diagnosed until I had erosions, and before I got on effective treatment, I lost my hips. Now I am struggling to maintain the use of my feet.

Many of us have been the “mystery patient” for our docs. Since my diagnosis, my family doc has been very, very nice to me. :wink: I also have a really wonderful rheumatology team and orthopedic surgeon. You are in this for the very long haul, so if you aren’t happy with your docs, get new ones. It may take a bit of time, but it’s so worth it!

Under the book reviews tab above is a book recommendation from me. It is the best one-stop information source that you will find on this devilish disease. The key idea from that book that hit me between the eyes was the fact that early and aggressive treatment is what ensures the best outcome.

Wishing you all the best, Carol! I like your attitude, and 'm glad you’ve come to hang out with us!

Hi Carol! Nice to meet you. Sorry you have to join our little club, but we do support one another and have access to good information.

Hi Carol, Welcome !

I know many of these meds are scary. I have felt the same and still do. At the same time I know I need some sort of help from meds. I hope the Mtx works for you. It's certainly worth a try. The same as you, I went undiagnosed for a number of years which really didn't help me.

You didn't ramble but feel free to anytime :)

Welcome, Carol! I’m new here too. My daughter was diagnosed with psa this year. I’m already finding lots of support here. I know you will too. :slight_smile:
-k