New Challenges

How's 2015 going folks ?

I have some good news and not so good, but I am remaining positive.

The good news is, my second affair with Humira is proving more positive than the first. It is really quite amazing, really. After just two injections, I have notices a marked improvement in some of my symptoms. This is so encouraging.

One thing I noted about my few months on Stelara was that it worked great for my nails and inverse psoriasis, but made my joints feel terrible.

The sad news is that I have been noticing some ominous signs with my husband's health...fatigue, bad pain in his hands, feet and knees. I took him to my wonderful rheumatologist and he has RA. This wonderful man, who works his a$$ off, like 12 hours a day to take care of me has probably had RA for 5 years ( according to his x rays ) and he has been so stoic and concerned about me that he neglected his own heath. I need to step up and make more of an effort to lighten his load, somehow. We will take care of one another.

Anyone else on here also have a spouse with RA or PsA? Any advice?

I also have a squamous cell carcinoma on my thigh that needs to come off. I had one 12 years ago on the other thigh, but that was before biologics. I have read that immunosuppressed folk have a higher proclivity to these nasty lesions. UGH! I will have to skip my Humira for 3 to 4 weeks around the time I have it removed. I am not sure if they will do Mohs surgery or what. Last time I had something vaguely resembling a shark bite scar.

Life is unpredictable, but each day is a gift from God. I am going to enjoy this one !

I’m sorry about all of this. My husband has psoriasis, and I have to admit that I a. Fearful that he could also develop psoriatic arthritis. Not much to do about, but concerning. I hope that your husband can get on meds that work for him quickly to slow down damage.

The carcinoma, it sounds like you’re taking it fairly well. That is frustrating to know that you’ll have to come off the biologic that is working now for a few weeks.

Oh, Mimi, that’s awful about your husband. You know only too well how he feels, but that gives you a special empathy for eachother.

Your surgery doesn’t sound a bit nice, and the Humira holiday … well, not a holiday. But isn’t it GREAT that you’re having a good response this time!

Love your attitude, my friend!

Hugs, Mimi! What a ride life has you on at the moment. So glad you're doing your best to remain positive. Be gentle with yourself... and your husband. :)

Thanks you guys ! I have the sweetest husband and we have been through a lot together. I am so thankful that we have a fantastic rheumatologist. He is starting my hubs on a small dose of methotrexate to start, less than I take, and that is all for now. He may add a biologic later.

I wonder if anyone else in the forums has experienced skin cancer while taking ( maybe as a result of taking ) a biologic drug.

Mimi, I'm so sorry you have all this to deal with! I hope that you can have a relatively small scar from your surgery, and that you and your husband can support each other. That's such bum luck! At least he'll be familiar with rheumatologists, assistive devices, and the meds, I suppose. How is he adjusting to the diagnosis?

Thanks so much, Rosen ! I see the dermatologist next Tuesday, so I will find out what kind of surgery they will do.

I am so thankful that we have such a great rheumatologist and that my husband really likes him. Hubby just started methotrexate and is tolerating it well. He has a great attitude about it. One thing's for sure, we both know what the other one is going through !

Mimi, I’m thankful that you have a great rheumatologist too. I’ve often wondered how rheumatologists do it – everyone they deal with is incurable and in pain. But when they do their job right, what an enormous difference they can make to the quality of their patients’ lives.

Good to hear that your husband has such a great attitude, and is making friends with Mtx.

Good luck with the derm.

What a good deal, having a spouse with a similar disease so you can hold each other up! It's sad, really, that you both have an inflammatory disease, but it would be nice to have someone around who understands what you're going through! It sure is better if one is healthy--I know in our situation this past few days things have been more difficult because we're both gimps right now and having a hard time doing a lot of things. Funny how in one split second something can upset the whole apple cart!

Glad to hear about your success with Humira the second time around. That is great news!

Hoping things get better mimiB. Hard enough to find your own balance in life but such another things to recognize your balance with a new weight on your scale (you husbands diagnosis). Hoping you both find strength in each other.
Seenie I love your comment about how hard it must be to be a rheumy! What a great point to make. These doctors are choosing to a field they can only help patients not cure them and most the patients are miserable or they wouldn’t be there. Hopefully they too have a good support system to deal with all our negativity and complaints! Thank god for their perseverance and knowledge or we all would be lost.

My wife has been diagnosed with carpal tunnel,and pre-diabetic. We both are on a mission to bring more good bacteria to our gut. Always hold and help your spouse no matter what happens! If you don’t have a pet,get one. Amazing how a pet will help. Uncondional love! Awesome! Hope the best for you and your spouse.