Update

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas (if you celebrate) and New Years.

Sorry I haven't been on a while I've been dealing with flare ups and other things. I wanted to give you all an update and ask a few questions if that's OK.

Some of you might know that I struggled for over 2 years to get a diagnosis. When it eventually happened I was put on MTX tablets which caused a lot of stomach issues. I was then switched to metoject.

I had good relief for a while but after a couple of months I noticed that the pain was sneaking back in a couple of days before my injection was due. I saw my Rheumy last week and he added Stelera. I took my first shot last week. No side effects except for a terrible fatigue that lasted for a few days. I think this is common on biologics?

I was wondering if anyone here has been on Stelera and how long it takes to work?

Also can PSA cause secondary Raynauds? Latley my hands and feet are always ice cold. When I go out without gloves on my fingers turn blue.

Hi Irishchick, great to hear from you again.

I haven't taken Stelara but I'd imagine that it would take about the same time as other biologics to work i.e. some months. Though many of us do seem to get some benefit rather sooner.

I'm pretty sure that PsA can cause Raynauds, I'm sure someone will be along soon with more info. on that.

Glad you've started on a biologic and I so hope it makes a huge difference. Humira has been good as gold for me, better than gold! But I know that waiting is always hard.

I’m not sure about it causing Raynauds but there is an association of Raynauds and autoimmune disease. Personally I’ve had Raynauds since I was a kid, so it came way way before the PsA.

Irishchick! We've missed you!

Hard to believe, isn't it ... six months ago, you were told that you just had a bit of fibro. You had to stand up to a consultant and demand to know why he thought that what you had wasn't PsA. And here you are, being prescribed meds which are usually reserved for difficult and serious cases.

If you go to the very top right of this page, you will see a search bar. Key in STELARA (note spelling) you will get lots of hits.

Good luck with this, Irishchick. Make sure you let us know how it goes. Oh, I just switched to Humira two months ago, and I think it may be starting to work. Enbrel took a good three months, and at least six months before I saw the full benefit. So be patient!

Keep in touch!

Hi Irishchick,

Nice to hear from you. From me it's a BIG YES to the PsA -> Raynauds connection. I have it and take Nifedipine (Nifedical) for it. The medicine slows the rapid and overzealous dilation and constriction of blood vessels which is what causes the terribly painful cold empty blue fingers/burning painful refilling fingers (and toes). Since starting the medicine (which I only take in the colder months) it has been MUCH easier to get through the winter and to tolerate a cold and drafty work office. The medicine is available as a generic which makes it very affordable in the US.

Very glad you've started the Stellara. If you've gotten to the point of needing a biologic then some of your excessive fatigue could be because the unchecked disease is now getting put in its place! When I added Otezla to Humira a few months ago I got a LOT of extra fatigue before I started to feel better. So, like Seenie says, try and be patient!! Cheers and happy new year!

Fatigue and biologics? The most common connection I see on this site and elsewhere is that biologics reduce fatigue. Mtx is a different kettle of fish, lots of folk find that makes them tired, especially for a day or two after taking it.

As janeautiu says, it could well be a case of fatigue getting worse before it gets better. But another possibility is that your symptoms are returning one by one because you're back in the gap: Mtx has lost effectiveness, Stelara has yet to kick in. I think you have every reason to travel hopefully with regard to fatigue and other symptoms too!

MTX never really caused any fatigue for me but I thought biologics can cause fatigue for the first day or 2 after injection?

He apologized profusely the last time for making me wait so long to start treatment.

Seenie said:

Irishchick! We've missed you!

Hard to believe, isn't it ... six months ago, you were told that you just had a bit of fibro. You had to stand up to a consultant and demand to know why he thought that what you had wasn't PsA. And here you are, being prescribed meds which are usually reserved for difficult and serious cases.

If you go to the very top right of this page, you will see a search bar. Key in STELARA (note spelling) you will get lots of hits.

Good luck with this, Irishchick. Make sure you let us know how it goes. Oh, I just switched to Humira two months ago, and I think it may be starting to work. Enbrel took a good three months, and at least six months before I saw the full benefit. So be patient!

Keep in touch!

Yes, doesn't get me that way but I've definitely heard that too. I need to read posts more carefully! I assumed it was wall-to-wall fatigue but now see that you say it lasts for a few days after the shot which would seem to link it to Stelara.

Cause and effect can be so hard to pin down though. Sometimes it seems that when you have PsA, fatigue is lurking around every corner for all sorts of different reasons ..... and to my mind it's a really horrible symptom. But the best remedy for fatigue would seem to be a bio that works so fingers crossed for you. And I think I've heard that after effects of the shot do not necessarily continue.

Irishchick said:

MTX never really caused any fatigue for me but I thought biologics can cause fatigue for the first day or 2 after injection?

Happy new year, Irishchick and welcome back! I never had fatigue after my shot with Enbrel but it never did much for me. Now that I am on Humira I started having the draining fatigue begining the day after injection. The first 1-2 were an amazing boost of energy the day after now far from it but I do see improvement from it just slow going. What a great turn around on your healthcare you had hope you continue to receive the posative treatment you are now receiving!

He apologized – that’s amazing and unusual. I’m guessing that you will get excellent care now! Good for you.

He certainly seems more receptive anyway :)

Seenie said:

He apologized -- that's amazing and unusual. I'm guessing that you will get excellent care now! Good for you.