Meds

Hi again. I started on here a little while ago. My rheumatologist started me on methotrexate Sept. 4th. Only 4 pills a week to start. I started feeling a little less stiff and thought it was helping. However after being on it only 5 weeks, I developed shingles. Thankfully it was a mild case, but it meant I had to go off of the methotrexate. I had an appointment with my rheumy last week. My inflammatory markers had actually risen while on the methotrexate. So he upped my dose to 6 pills a week and is starting me on Enbrel. I picked up my Enbrel injections tonight. I am over the shingles and can start back on my meds tomorrow. I am a bit concerned about the Enbrel lowering my immune system. I see a lot of sick people at work. I am a registered nurse in a men's prison. I have had a couple of people tell me I shouldn't even try the Enbrel and a few others tell me to go for it. I know everybody is different, but what is the general thought about it on here? Any replies would be greatly appreciated. =)

You should be fine. We have a number of nurses and other professionals who have had no problem The arthritis itself puts at risk for the routine stuff. Many actually have less illness.

Because of where you work I would however at least yearly have an IGRA or better yet. the Quatiferon (TB Gold in) Most detention facilities are doing it routinley for employees and officers anyway. I just don't feel confident in the skin tests.

You will be fine. Hers to healthy days ahead.

tntlamb said:

You should be fine. We have a number of nurses and other professionals who have had no problem The arthritis itself puts at risk for the routine stuff. Many actually have less illness.

Because of where you work I would however at least yearly have an IGRA or better yet. the Quatiferon (TB Gold in) Most detention facilities are doing it routinley for employees and officers anyway. I just don't feel confident in the skin tests.

You will be fine. Hers to healthy days ahead.

Thanks, tntlamb. That sounds pretty reassuring. I am really hoping the Enbrel helps the skin as well as the arthritis. I am hopeful and trying to stay positive.

And we also have a number of people here who are teachers, who are doing just fine on their biologics. It’s not as if the biologic disarms your whole immune system!

Good luck with this, BF!