Meds & pregnancy

Anyone in situation of being on whatever the medication to come off them all before trying to get pregnant? What has been your experience…? Good, bad? One big flare up…? Or none at all? Just trying to figure out what I’d be letting myself in for… when I do start to come off meds (mtx in particular…) what I can expect to happen!
Anyone any thoughts? Or own experience they’d like to share…?
Thanks!

Hey Newbie, welcome!

Those are great questions, and it’s very important to get clear answers to them before you even think about conceiving. I do know that MTX is of particular concern, and you need to give your body time to get it out of your system before you toss the birth control. This is SO important, and only your rheumatologist can advise you.

As for what will happen during pregnancy, nobody can predict, but a lot of people have a glorious remission while they are pregnant.

What can you expect to happen? Like everything about this disease, expect the unexpected!

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Hi Seenie,

I do know that I can’t be on any of my meds especially the MTX when I do try to conceive… but I was hoping to get a little insight into what may r may not happen when I do… if anyone had their own experience be it good or bad! :slight_smile: I’m hoping that I’m one of the lucky ones and go into remission! But I will be talking with consultant next time I see him! :slight_smile:

Not necessarily. Have you had this discussion with your rheumie? MTX is a definite no no as are some NSAIDS (but not all) However evidence now is pretty clear that several of the biologics during conception and at LEAST the first trimester are okay. Generally not recommended during nursing (but I won’t even go there) Here is an older study:

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/12/17/rheumatology.ket409.full

It has been updated and confirmed but its not right at hand (I’ll find it eventually) But like I said this is really a discussion for you and your Docs. There are other DMARDS or alternatives anyway.

HA found it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4206648/