Medication cost

I went to the doctor on Thursday and was prescribed generic Evoxac for Sjogren's, extreme dry mouth. I was complaining that I've hit the point where I'm having trouble breathing at night due to extreme dryness, trouble swallowing, etc. So the prescription is called in to CVS, where I am told it won't be available until the next day (Friday). Fine. But then I call to check on Friday, and am told it won't be available till Monday, but they can call around. Then on Saturday, they tell me that it's not available through CVS as a generic at all.
I think I figured out my solution to a medication problem. With no generic available at CVS, the cost would be $132 for a one month supply. And no, I wouldn't qualify for patient assistance. So I decided to do some looking around, and I was able to look up costs through ExpressScript, the mail order pharmacy that my insurance participates in. Not only is the generic available through here, it would only be $15 for a 3 month supply. So even if the medication doesn't work for me, it still is completely worth it.
Meanwhile, if CVS had let me know the problem right away, that there was no generic available, I would have been able to take care of putting a rush order on this Friday, and not have to wait until tomorrow to even get the order in.

So I'm hoping to call up first thing tomorrow, and get a rush put on the medication through the mail order pharmacy. I would happily pay extra for rush shipping at this point.

I have had much better luck getting my prescriptions filled since I switched to a privately owned pharmacy. I had HUGE problems with a certain chain pharmacy not having my medication, promising a fill time and then falling through, issues with auto fill, and the final straw was a medication error. You are not alone in your frustration with that pharmacy.

I switched to a mom and pop pharmacy and it is AMAZING. Every time I start a new medication, the pharmacist (Dr. Joe) actually gives me counseling. He goes over side effects, foods I should avoid, the best way to take the drug, etc… It is really great! He knows my name, and says hi and inquires about my health every time I’m in. He also has copy cards for the more expensive brand name drugs. How cool is that?

You know what? I called up the local pharmacy, and the generic will be there for me tomorrow by mid-day. As long as I have it by bedtime, I don't care.

Meanwhile, CVS called me after I found the medication there and asked for the scrip to be sent over there. They said, "We have that." I told them that so and so said that there was no generic available, and I was annoyed that they couldn't have figured this out sooner. Otherwise I could have been taking the medication since Thursday or Friday at the latest, and maybe, just maybe, sleeping better.

In general, I've had good luck with CVS, but I'll be rethinking it. This medication, at the least, will be at the local pharmacy.

That's great - I'm going to look for a Mom and Pop pharmacy !

GrumpyCat said:

I have had much better luck getting my prescriptions filled since I switched to a privately owned pharmacy. I had HUGE problems with a certain chain pharmacy not having my medication, promising a fill time and then falling through, issues with auto fill, and the final straw was a medication error. You are not alone in your frustration with that pharmacy.

I switched to a mom and pop pharmacy and it is AMAZING. Every time I start a new medication, the pharmacist (Dr. Joe) actually gives me counseling. He goes over side effects, foods I should avoid, the best way to take the drug, etc.. It is really great! He knows my name, and says hi and inquires about my health every time I'm in. He also has copy cards for the more expensive brand name drugs. How cool is that?

Good for you Stoney for finding the mail order generic! I use my mail order pharmacy with Carefirst for some meds that are just too expensive to get at CVS. I just have to remember to ask the doc for a 90-day script to maximize the cost benefit for mail order.