Lyme and PSA

How many have Lyme and then it triggered PSA ?

4 yrs. ago I was diagnosed with Lyme and 2 yrs. ago I was diagnosed with PSA.

Know I 'am on 5 different prescriptions for joints

1. Allopurinol for gout

2. Mobic for joint pain and inflammation

3 .Methotrexate to stop further joint damage

4. Folic Acid for side effects of Methotrexate

5. Humira to stop further joint damage

I' am not on any thing for Lyme any more.

I had some sort of tick borne fever when I was a kid, they didn't call it Lyme disease but I noticed it right after the tick bite. I got fever and a rash over my body. They tested me and said I got sick from a tick and gave me antibiotics. Years later I have PsA with no relatives having it.

That’s a really big gap, two years. Lyme disease is very common in some area, including mine, the northeast. When I first presented with symptoms, I was tested for Lyme. But it was just to rule things out.

I’m curious, what makes you suspect a connection?

I was bit by a deer tick about 12 years ago, with the classic bullseye red circle around it. My doc put me on amoxycillin for 10 days. I have no idea if that has anything to do with triggering my PsA, but like you Mel B I have no relatives with it and, as far as I know, nobody else has had a deer tick bite. I was bit again this summer! I got antibiotics again this time, even though I didn't get the red ring around it. Those buggers bite hard-you know when you have a deer tick in you. I still have a lump from the bite this summer, and that was two months ago.

I was bit by a tick about 10 years ago, got the bullseye rash, but tested negative for Lyme. Once I got sick with flu-like symptoms my health was never the same. My sed rate sky rocketed, I was give amoxycillin 3 times in a row. My Dr. at that time was at a loss as to why I had a sed rate of over 200. Many of you know from previous posts that I believe this was my trigger and I became a full fledged member of the gap. I remained in the gap until 2 years ago. I was fortunate to find a new Dr. that would listen to me and was actively looking for answers. It took him a few years, but he is the one that diagnosed me and sent me to the Rheumatologist for confirmation. Except for the allopurinol, we are on the same medication. My brother has PsA and my Dad may have had it, but I was fine until that darn tick.

Grandma J, I had another tick bite last summer that lingered until this spring. I didn't think that lump was ever going to go away or quit itching.

My sister contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted fever (Black measles) while working in the "Tick Lab" at Rocky Mountain Labs, the NIH labs near us.

Anyway we have a strong family connection to the tick labs. Both my sisters worked there as have I, so I can't avoid a discussion about ticks. I wish there was an answer. We know approximately 10 to 20% of patients treated for Lyme disease will have lingering symptoms . Although often called "chronic Lyme disease," this condition is properly known as "Post-treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome" (PTLDS). There is no such thing as chronic Lyme disease. We can do titrates and have norms and everything, yeah the antibodies exist for ever. They do for any sickness you have ever had......

The exact cause of PTLDS is not yet known but it is believed that the lingering symptoms are the result of residual damage to tissues and the immune system that occurred during the infection.

FWIW, similar complications and "auto–immune" responses are known to occur following other infections, including Campylobacter (Guillain-Barre syndrome), Chlamydia (Reiter's syndrome), and Strep throat (rheumatic heart disease). In contrast, some health care providers tell patients that these symptoms reflect persistent infection with Borrelia burgdorferi. Quacks come in all kinds of shapes configurations etc etc. and love to treat "chronic lyme disease" The sad thing is there was a couple of studies done back in the late 80's that proved some antibiotics improved arthritis symptoms. Let me tel,you the quacksd were all over that one...... I'm sure we have all heard about low dose antibiotics at one time. The studies were done with doxycycline (one of a bunch of tetracyclines) Doxy will give you some improvement because it is a DMARD (similar to MTX) Long story short DMARDs help arthritis

The cause of PTLDS, is not as important as knowing numerous studies have not shown that patients who received prolonged courses of antibiotics do any better in the long run than patients treated with placebo. In fact long-term antibiotic treatment for Lymes disease has had serious side effects including death http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/31/4/1107.long

Stoney, I don't have any signs of Psoriasis, but have Psoriatic Arthritis .

Usually if you have Psoriasis , you get PSA.

I asked my Rheumatologist if getting Lyme, would it have triggered the PSA

and he said that's a Good Theory !

The theory is called Koebner Phenomenon. Lymes is pretty extreme. A simple sunburn sets it off for some. The thing to remember even with Koebner, it was already there.

Tirezza,

Tirezza, wow! They really bite! After my doctor had said they don’t try to take the head out cuz it can cause more problems, I couldn’t stand having it stuck in me so my daughter dug it out. We used a needle and a lot of alcohol so I wouldn’t get infection. It took about 45 minutes to get it out–it was so embedded!