Low thyroid function and autoimmune illness

Just got my annual physical and in addition to being Vit D deficient (not new news) my thyroid function is low. I’ve been reading up on hypothyroidism and there seems to be a plausible link to autoimmune illness. Anyone got any opinions, ideas, thoughts about a link?

I have heard some reports too but I do not know much about it. I have no personal experience with it but believe the link is being well researched. Will they put you on a thyroid meds? I hope you will being feeling better soon and I'll bet your fatigue will be better too!

Three things to know: many if not most common thyroid problems are autoimmune; autoimmune diseases tend to travel in packs; and, for reasons not understood, lots of people with autoimmune problems also have low vitamin D levels. Seeing as you are hanging out here, you obviously have one autoimmune problem already! I seem to remember that lots of people here have thyroid disease, too. I have Graves', which is autoimmune hyperthyroidism.

Thanks, all for your responses. I'm actually feeling pretty good, less tired than usual, and my weight is holding steady (and maybe even I've lost a few pounds) so the news about low thyroid function was curious. Sybil I think my experience may well mimic your own--I imagine this is a level that will probably fluctuate over time. I see my rheumatologist on 2/20 and he has all the results from my physical and blood panels and I'll go get the liver functions before I see him, too. I'm certain he'll allay my fears.