Latest from the Rheumatologist

A special thanks to Rich and lamb for all info and personal thoughts on the Spinal Stimulator, but Doc says "Oh, no, no, no, too many infections with this, you can not use Enbrel or any other Biologic with this implant". So since I am 3 months in, and though he sees me again in 3 months, wants me to continue for another 6 before re-evaluating situation. Said the Spinal Stenosis was certainly caused by the PsA, that I have had this Arthritis for a LONG time.

He agreed that the Enbrel is working since I feel the 'drag' Friday before the shot is taken at 5:00, I am at maximum dose of 50 mg a week, that if this is not working well enough in six months there is another biologic I can use, those shots can be taken twice a week.

Though he thought the Enbrel was working, or starting to work, he was not pleased to see the ball of my foot, ankle and knee as swollen as they were or my limp as bad as it was, or that I could not stand up straight, but I told him that by the time I walked around the parking lot a bit before leaving, I could probably at least straighten up before getting in the car again.

Asked him to explain in short the memory, recoginition, retention problems that have escalated with this disease, even though 3 brain scans have come up clean, he simply said it is from pain, the chronic pain.

On that note I will tell you that that is all I can recall at this point, any other wisdom from him that I later recall will be added.

Wishing you all WELL,

SK

Hi there SK,how you doing? Glad to hear the Enbrel is working for you. Keep us posted on the spinal stenosis. I too am having a lot of pain in my back. My rheumy suspects Spondylosis but has yet to do xrays to confirm it. (sigh)......Glad you are feeling better though. Hope you are able to enjoy the summer!!

Hi Liz,

Nice to hear from you, I am well enough, how about you, anything wonderful going on? Surely not Spondy! Hope that challenge is not added, we always hope to minimize the challenges, have the boys, both are sleeping! Tomorrow should be action packed! Of course I always wish I could keep up better, but that is just human nature! Focusing on what I can do and more importantly, what I have!

Hugs to you,

SK

Hi SK,

Yeah, my doc was negative on the spinal stim too so I'm not surprised to hear this.

I'm saddened to learn that PsA caused your spinal stenosis. Rotten, horrible disease. Also, it's sad to know you've had PsA for a long time, esp since you spent so many years proactively seeking an answer to your medical issues. I understand doctors' lack of knowledge about fibro, since much of it is still a mystery but I do not get why docs aren't better versed about PsA, esp. since it's so devastating to the body.

With all due respect, I'm glad to hear your brain scans have come up clear. Yep, long-term pain can certainly

make your memory and concentration fuzzy! It's great that the PsA hasn't caused your brain any degeneration!

I'm sorry to hear this, Liz. I hope it's not the case with you. Back pain is horrible. I'm just praying the cause isn't spinal stenosis.

Elizabeth Rodriquez said:

Hi there SK,how you doing? Glad to hear the Enbrel is working for you. Keep us posted on the spinal stenosis. I too am having a lot of pain in my back. My rheumy suspects Spondylosis but has yet to do xrays to confirm it. (sigh)......Glad you are feeling better though. Hope you are able to enjoy the summer!!

Thank you Pet! you know that even though we aren't Docs, we have our suspicions about your SI joints, and should you ever have one put in, was diagnosed with an arthritis that was treatable with a biologic chances are you couldn't do it! For me it's hands down stop the rapid progression, walk with pain rather than the alternative! Should I run out of med options, a different story, and you gather facts and re-evaluate again. I still want to get better! I will always want to get better!

Hope we all can get better!

Hugs,

SK

Petunia Girl said:

Hi SK,

Yeah, my doc was negative on the spinal stim too so I'm not surprised to hear this.

I'm saddened to learn that PsA caused your spinal stenosis. Rotten, horrible disease. Also, it's sad to know you've had PsA for a long time, esp since you spent so many years proactively seeking an answer to your medical issues. I understand doctors' lack of knowledge about fibro, since much of it is still a mystery but I do not get why docs aren't better versed about PsA, esp. since it's so devastating to the body.

With all due respect, I'm glad to hear your brain scans have come up clear. Yep, long-term pain can certainly

make your memory and concentration fuzzy! It's great that the PsA hasn't caused your brain any degeneration!