Just venting!

I can't hold onto a darn thing this week...!!! Broke another glass this morning, that's two in a week. GRRRR.... I transcribe/type for a living and get paid for production... hahaha... cruel joke some days. The good thing is, my feet aren't too bad this week but usually my hands and feet join forces to torment me... Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for what I have... just sometimes have to scream and get it out and be done with it!!!

Sorry... just venting!

Sandy

It's a joke at my house, I'm not allowed to use the good glasses unless we have company and sometimes not even then. I'm only allowed to use the Tervis cups because they don't break and have a lid and a straw and hubby even bought me a plastic wine glass. I have bought and dropped more glasses than you would think possible! Vent away and feel better!

Thanks for the sympathy, LOL! I'll get over it. I'm guessing you also know how it feels when your fork flies across the room mid-bite too!!! Sometimes it's just hilarious, if it only wasn't so irritating. :-)

MAT said:

It's a joke at my house, I'm not allowed to use the good glasses unless we have company and sometimes not even then. I'm only allowed to use the Tervis cups because they don't break and have a lid and a straw and hubby even bought me a plastic wine glass. I have bought and dropped more glasses than you would think possible! Vent away and feel better!

My husband has become an expert at watching the trajectory of pills as they fly out of my hand so he can find them for me. It's become normal for him to find small things of mine on the floor around the house and set them on the counter for me. And my hands aren't even that bad!

You all are making me feel so much better to know it's not just me! I have such trouble holding on to things and my fork tends to fly out of my hand, too, during many meals. Is this really from PsA? My hands themselves don't hurt much, but I am losing strength for sure. I mostly use plastic cups now and bought lighter weight dishes last year (my stoneware was way to heavy for my hands).

I am sorry there are others with the same difficulty, but I am glad that I am not alone!

Miz Que

I also drop and "throw" things. My hands are bad at times. I try to find the humor in it too. I have a light weight cup with a handle and plate for when it is bad. But here is some humor to lighten your load: My fingers have to be injected when they lock up. I decided one time to have both hands injected on the same visit as it is sometimes difficult to get in with the hand surgeon. Don't do it! I couldn't brush my teeth nor eat! Both were swollen and sore. I will accept help gratefully but no one is going into the bathroom with me! It is amazing what you can wipe with a soft wash cloth held gingerly between two sore hands.......

Ah, the joys of PsA.

I have five kids. I think I have broken more dishes, glasses, etc. than all my kids combined. LOL For a while I was banned from doing dishes. I drink mostly from a large mug with a handle into which I can slip my entire hand. I have yet to drop it.

Oh yes, I didn't think about the flying pills, forks and anything else I may be trying to hold onto! We always do a family vacation each summer with my mom, siblings, aunts, cousins, and all of our kids (this year there were 24 of us that made the trip). My two little cousins are 5 and 7. They could not understand why their mom kept yelling at them when they spilled things or made a mess but that my aunt (who has RA) and myself got away with spilling and dropping everything. On a positive note I do have a brand new IPhone that I had been wanting - hint, never go on the dock with your cell phone if you have problems holding onto things - and no I didn't try to hold the babies on the dock! Which by the way are doing awesome, they are 6 months old now and last week came off the premie charts onto the big boy charts! Everything is great with them, starting to try and crawl, sitting up, standing up if they have someone or something to hold. We are so thrilled! Still a little underweight but doing amazing! Took their first plane ride yesterday to go to NY to see Craig's parents.

Here is a question I have for everyone though. Most of you know that my main problem is my hands - that's where this disease attacks me the most. How do you put on your jewelry? I love wearing a necklace and earrings and bracelets. It is becoming almost impossible to hook my necklace, I haven't worn one in weeks. If the earrings just slip thru I can manage that put how the heck do you manage to hold a tiny little back and get the silly little thing on the earring? I have some great jewelry and want to be able to wear it, but just can't seem to do it. I have lots of business trips planned for the fall as well as our vacation and want to be able to dress up my outfits. Suggestions and tips please!

If you go to one of those "as seen on tv stores", they have a little kit that allows you to change clasps to magnetic clasps. Personally, I just wear the same jewelry most of the time, but that's just me.

MAT said:

Oh yes, I didn't think about the flying pills, forks and anything else I may be trying to hold onto! We always do a family vacation each summer with my mom, siblings, aunts, cousins, and all of our kids (this year there were 24 of us that made the trip). My two little cousins are 5 and 7. They could not understand why their mom kept yelling at them when they spilled things or made a mess but that my aunt (who has RA) and myself got away with spilling and dropping everything. On a positive note I do have a brand new IPhone that I had been wanting - hint, never go on the dock with your cell phone if you have problems holding onto things - and no I didn't try to hold the babies on the dock! Which by the way are doing awesome, they are 6 months old now and last week came off the premie charts onto the big boy charts! Everything is great with them, starting to try and crawl, sitting up, standing up if they have someone or something to hold. We are so thrilled! Still a little underweight but doing amazing! Took their first plane ride yesterday to go to NY to see Craig's parents.

Here is a question I have for everyone though. Most of you know that my main problem is my hands - that's where this disease attacks me the most. How do you put on your jewelry? I love wearing a necklace and earrings and bracelets. It is becoming almost impossible to hook my necklace, I haven't worn one in weeks. If the earrings just slip thru I can manage that put how the heck do you manage to hold a tiny little back and get the silly little thing on the earring? I have some great jewelry and want to be able to wear it, but just can't seem to do it. I have lots of business trips planned for the fall as well as our vacation and want to be able to dress up my outfits. Suggestions and tips please!

I buy magnetic clasps at Wallmart and put them on my necklaces. I keep my earrings in a frame with lace in the bathroom and the backs in a little dish. I twirl the little rubber backing between my thumb and forefinger to get it on the back of the earring. I also put extensions on some of my jewelry, also from Wallmart. You would put them on a necklace that is too short. Some come with a large "lobster" clasp that my poor hands can handle.

I thought I was the only one relegated to Tervis tumblers! When company comes, they always look a little baffled when I hand them plastic drinking glasses. And, I’m sure DH gets tired of being awakened every day to help with jewelry clasps. I get the magnetic ones from QVC as they are heavy and large enough for me to get hold of, but, alas, you can’t put them on toggle bracelets. I’ve stopped wearing earrings without a spring back. I just can’t figure out a post back anymore with these fingers. I have discovered that a nutcracker–the kind that looks like an inverted pair of pliers–is great for stubborn bottle lids.

I can so understand your vent. You’re definitely not alone.

Sandy. Are you a medical transcriber? Just curious because that is what I do for a living.

Thanks guys, I am going to check it out tonight! Miss my jewels - OK so many of them are fake but still miss them!

I have wanted to get the magnetic clasps myself or switch certain pieces to a lobster claw. I would like to find them in 925 silver or gold that won’t cost an arm or a leg or any other indispensable body part to purchase!

I don’t drop my utensils, much. I do drop pills all the time. The little buggers just jump right out of my hand onto the floor. Keep in mind that I have a small herd of animals and one really dumb dog who will literally eat anything. My husband doesn’t even ask what’s up anymore when he hears a string of “crap, crap, crap, crap…” And the closing of the gates coming from the kitchen. The good thing is that I can lock my peanut brained dog out of the kitchen until I can locate whatever hit the floor.

I’m glad my kids still use plastic cups. And hubby does most of the dishes. this could explain my travel mug and cold cup collection. I’ve had bad hands since I was a teenager. So dropping things is a norm for me.

I had to smile at this ... also 5 kids for me, and I am banned from dishes for the same reason! I even also use a mug I can slip my hand into to ensure I don't drop it!!! I called my husband over to read you comment, he said "Oh what a world if there are two of you!" as he slapped his head dramatically and then "I wonder if her family wants to wrap her in bubble wrap too!" "maybe your just contagious babe" the latter said as he left the room snigggerring. (A comment for which I shall kick him as soon as my foot feels well enough to). In the past even my own parents threatened to have a human sized hamster ball built for me.. (sigh)

Thanks to everyone who posted its good to know I am not the only one!

nym said:

Ah, the joys of PsA.

I have five kids. I think I have broken more dishes, glasses, etc. than all my kids combined. LOL For a while I was banned from doing dishes. I drink mostly from a large mug with a handle into which I can slip my entire hand. I have yet to drop it.

LOL - too funny! No bubble wrap has been threatened, but I have asked one of my kids to (playfully) whack their father when I'm physically incapable of (playfully) slapping him for making fun of me.

My husband dispenses my pills, as we have little kids in the house quite often and finding a tiny 2.5mg prednisone pill on the floor is only easy for a 10 month old.

MamaMeli said:

I had to smile at this ... also 5 kids for me, and I am banned from dishes for the same reason! I even also use a mug I can slip my hand into to ensure I don't drop it!!! I called my husband over to read you comment, he said "Oh what a world if there are two of you!" as he slapped his head dramatically and then "I wonder if her family wants to wrap her in bubble wrap too!" "maybe your just contagious babe" the latter said as he left the room snigggerring. (A comment for which I shall kick him as soon as my foot feels well enough to). In the past even my own parents threatened to have a human sized hamster ball built for me.. (sigh)

Thanks to everyone who posted its good to know I am not the only one!