Itchy rash face

I was looking back at rash discussions. Mine doesn't seem to be a reaction to medication, as I started leflunomide almost 3 months ago, and this just started. I don't seem to have any increase in joint pain or inflammation.

But I have a dry itchy rash on my cheeks for three days, and since yesterday my eyes have been ridiculously dry as well. The rash is flat and only somewhat rough. I tried using just lotion on my face, but have now added in cortisone cream on my cheeks. Any thoughts on this? How soon would you go see the doctor, and who?

I wasn't originally thinking of my rheumy, but now I'm wondering if I should, with the addition of dry eyes to the picture I'm wondering if it is indeed inflammatory.

Stoney could you be allergic to any new soap or lotion? Any new laundry soap or softner? It doesn't sound like shingles or psoriasis to me. Can you get in with your Dermy? I am sending you hugs and prayers for a rash free holiday.

That was the first thing I thought of, contact issues. Nothing new there. It doesn't sound like psoriasis to me either, and much more like eczema, except I've never had that in the past. It's in that somewhat vague state now, and my preferred dermy is hard to get in to see. I may sit on it and see what happens, unless the crazy itch continues. Otherwise, yeah, I might have to see the grumpy old man dermy in the practice.

I have had weird rashes in the past. I have wondered some times if the meds or psoriasis makes my skin more sensitive or something. I hope it resolves. Over the counter hydrocortisone ointment may help the itching till it heals:-)

That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment. Thanks.

I've used Aquaphor on pretty much anything that is dry, itchy, or just a weird type rash. It really helps calm down anything skin related, for me.

I have psoriasis on my face, mostly my forehead, under my jaw, down both sides of nose, in the eyebrows and hairline...it suxxxxxxxxx. I also get the itchy red patches on my cheeks occasionally, I also wear glasses and it is tough trying to keep your skin softer and not smudge em...I use oil of olay and olive oil if really inflammed..Hope you find something that works..i hate this frapping metabolic disease..

Sorry Stoney. I have the dry eyes thing really bad right now too. I blame the meds as I've not changed anything with my lenses or solution. I called the rheumy today to lodge a complaint (ha!). As for the rash--man that stinks. The glycerin/witch hazel 50/50 solution is good for staving off the itchies for a while but glycerin on your face might be a bit more oil than you'd prefer. Hope you get answers soon!

I'm holding off on going to the doctor. At this point, my fatigue level has been up all week, when I had been doing really well. And I've got some other increases in inflammation, so I'm thinking it's all inflammatory. My skin has gotten a bit better, but not perfect. Now I can focus on how bad my ankle is, so it's taken the focus off the itch and rash, right?

That happens to me. I've been feeling so horrible it wasn't until yesterday when my pain meds took effect that I could tell that I've got sinus pressue behind my eyes, and my eyes seem irritated, and my ears hurt on and off. I think I have a lingering bug in my sinuses and am going to see my primary care doc about it today.

Stoney said:

I'm holding off on going to the doctor. At this point, my fatigue level has been up all week, when I had been doing really well. And I've got some other increases in inflammation, so I'm thinking it's all inflammatory. My skin has gotten a bit better, but not perfect. Now I can focus on how bad my ankle is, so it's taken the focus off the itch and rash, right?

Here. Take this.

[------0------]

That's a big hug just for you. I think it works really well on rashes, itches, eyes, ankles, inflammation, and fatigue. It is also reusable, organic, eco-friendly and recyclable. When you're done with it you can pass it on to someone else.

Could be rosacea.

It certainly is something to think about. Whatever it is, it does seem to be part of a flare this week. I'm WAY more fatigued this week, and having more joint pain. And there I was thinking that the decreased leflunomide would be working for me. Hmm. I already have an appointment in January or February with the dermy, so I'll go from there. It's calmed down enough now for me to be willing to wait.

I went to the Derm because mine was on the face and everywhere my skin was exposed to light/sun. I was diagnosed with Lupus-Like Syndrome, a side effect from the biological meds. A month later he added Rosacea, when he saw my face rash. He asked me to check with my eye dr. who diagnosed me with Ocular Rosacea. Gave me an antibiotic for the eyes that improved my sight but not the dryness. I now am on Restasis and my eyes feel better although not well. Much improvement, though.

Noticed you are on Arava. I have been for years. Could it be a side effect? I checked and this side effect is not listed on The Pill Book as one. ???

Rash can be a side effect of leflunomide. I actually saw the eye doctor last month, but that was before this new thing started. As long as it's manageable, I'll probably just sit on it until next month when I see my rheumy, and February when I see the dermy. At least the itching is gone now, and it's just red areas of dry skin. My eyes are still dry, but I'll just wait.