Is weather really an issue in flares, and if so, what causes problems for folks?

While I have seen a lot of varied posts about diet and its impact (or not) on PsA....I've seen references to changes in weather, but am wondering about your thoughts on that front -- pun intended.

What's the deal with weather (and if you have thoughts in diet, I'd love to hear that too)?

The rain every single time, without one fail, gets me flared up.

Low barometric pressure equals pain for me. So rain, snow, hurricanes, blizzards.

Cold also affects my joints, so I need to keep them warm.

With weather, I usually flare of as long as the weather lasts, and perhaps another day or two while inflammation goes down.

Yep definately the pressure changes in the atmosphere when storm fronts are approaching, humidity or cold days. As for diets… I know there’s a lot of support around restricting certain foods to tame the disease, but I haven’t been convinced by my own ‘experiment’. I tried a regime much like the anti candida diet and I didn’t notice much relief with pain, however dropped a few kg’s! Im fairly conscious of my intake as it is so when denied a few guilty pleasures like chocolate, wine or coffee when already feeling miserable, was hell!! I now apply the old motto that everything in moderation is fine. But that is only my experience! Hope that’s helpful.

I could live on wine, coffee and chocolate!

For me it is a CHANGE in barometric pressure. I feel it coming 2 day in advance. I could almost set a clock by it. Flying sets it off too, even though the cabin is pressurized my body reacts to it somehow.

As for diet, I've had this disease for 30 yrs and tried all the elimination diets out there. I have found my *personal* trigger foods, and avoid them most of the time. I think everyone has to find what bothers or doesn't bother them, as everyone is different. Plus, my trigger foods have changed over time. For example, all through my 20's I couldn't eat potatoes more than twice a month at most or I would flare. In the past 5 yrs I've been able to add potatoes back into my diet several times a week without a problem.

Coconut milk sets off the worst possible flare. So do bell peppers (oh, I miss them), pork, beef, avocado, ice cream, sour cream, and butter. But taking cheese out doesn't make a difference, so I enjoy that. I'll ocassionally eat something from my list knowing I won't feel well from it. But sometimes that's the trade off. I enjoy my life too. I will always have this disease, and I do a pretty amazing job managing it, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat something that tastes delicious that makes me flare once in awhile. Plus, if it is rarely eaten, I don't flare as much as if I eat it all the time.

Thank you for that feedback -- very helpful, and hopeful. :) (needed that)

Any issue with beets or tomatoes, by chance?

Marietta said:

For me it is a CHANGE in barometric pressure. I feel it coming 2 day in advance. I could almost set a clock by it. Flying sets it off too, even though the cabin is pressurized my body reacts to it somehow.

As for diet, I've had this disease for 30 yrs and tried all the elimination diets out there. I have found my *personal* trigger foods, and avoid them most of the time. I think everyone has to find what bothers or doesn't bother them, as everyone is different. Plus, my trigger foods have changed over time. For example, all through my 20's I couldn't eat potatoes more than twice a month at most or I would flare. In the past 5 yrs I've been able to add potatoes back into my diet several times a week without a problem.

Coconut milk sets off the worst possible flare. So do bell peppers (oh, I miss them), pork, beef, avocado, ice cream, sour cream, and butter. But taking cheese out doesn't make a difference, so I enjoy that. I'll ocassionally eat something from my list knowing I won't feel well from it. But sometimes that's the trade off. I enjoy my life too. I will always have this disease, and I do a pretty amazing job managing it, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat something that tastes delicious that makes me flare once in awhile. Plus, if it is rarely eaten, I don't flare as much as if I eat it all the time.

I don't really like tomato products, because they are usually somewhat acidic and make my stomach hurt. I know I can't eat eggplant ( same family ) because it causes flares.

I haven't noticed anything personally with beets, but then I don't eat them more than once / month

I think each person has their own food triggers (some people don't have any). My rule, if it bothers you, carefully test it out a few times to make sure it is the food and not some other issue, and then avoid the food 98% of the time if you can.

AlexisM. said:

Thank you for that feedback -- very helpful, and hopeful. :) (needed that)

Any issue with beets or tomatoes, by chance?

I’ve found the traditional British weather triggers a flare up which is unfortunate as that is where I live. Have tried eliminating vArious things over the years with no noticeable reprieve.