Is there a good time and day to give yourself a weekly enbrel injection? Before or after activities...etc

For me there is never a good time lol

Im starting enbrel injection this week. Ive heard about the minor SE like site reactions, pain in the injection site..not lasting but still is there a good time or day to give yourself the injection. I know everyone is different. Should I give myself my injection on a down lazy kind of day & avoid giving it when I have a lot going on that day or the next day...is it a good idea to swim on the same day..just concerned with getting an infection or should I wait til next day to go swimming. The pool is clean lol..maybe Im just making a big deal out of it. Im new to them and Im just not sure when would be a good time. Before bed or early in the morning. I hope you all understand. Any other advice for me? As a precaution should I take an anti allergy before and after. I dont like the idea of taking over the counter medications if not necessary or any drug that may not be necessary. Or should I just have it available if I do have itchiness or rash after the injection. What other things can i do to alleviate any discomfort from the shots if necessary. Im going to start using the autoinjector and see how it goes. I heard it is more painful but I'll see how it goes. Im going to try the stomach area first. Anything else I should know. What would help me.

Hey Bee,

I've self-injected Enbre for 13 years or something like that...For me, I use the pre-filled not the pen. I have used the pen and can tell you it is ten times worse after you use the regular syringe!

I have always injected in my stomach. I alternate from one side one week and the other side the next week. All I do is remove the syringe from the fridge and let it warm up to room temp. or hold it in my hand for a few minutes. I wipe the area on my stomach with a alchohol pad, get the air out of the syringe, pinch some fat, poke myself, let go of fat, inject and wipe again with the alchohol pad.

Over the 13 years I have never had a reaction or infection. I have had minor itching for an hour up to 24hrs but, is less than a misquito bite like itch.

I have injected all different days of the week and hours of the day without noticing a difference.

As far as swimming...I wouldn't dangle your feet in the water while you inject your enbrel and jump right in but, you shouldn't have any problem swimming the same day.

If you have any questions ask me. I'm not a pro but, 13 years...even a dummy like me learns how to do stuff.

Hi Bee, I always do the shot right before bed. My son does it for me too. I do use the pen.I think the advise about letting it get to room temp is the best. It really only stings for a sec, then thats it. BTW- I don't think Robert is a dummy either. (Robert!) Pretty smart I think. So good luck.It'll be fine.

I've been injected one or another med for 11 yrs. I usually do it midday-afternoon, because that's when I have a little down time, and I'm not exceptionally stiff (morning) or pain (evening). I've never not done anything like swimming or activities because I've injected, I've never thought of it, really. I might notice if I hit just the spot I injected against something like the table edge, but otherwise I forget about the injection site pretty promptly and go about my business.

I've only started using the pen recently, i do inject in my belly, let it reach room temperature and lay flat on my back. it doesnt bother me, just a little sting until the injection is complete. i dont have any irritation the site. Hope everything works out for you.

This discussion offers really good advice for me too. I'm seeing my Rheumy this Friday and I'm pretty sure he'll be starting me on one of the biologics as he's already said as much. So we'll see. But now after reading what you all have written, I'm not afraid at all. In fact, you all have made me feel like I'll know how to do it and that I'll be just fine. Thank you very much! When I was reading your description (Robert) I was sort of visualizing it. So I think I'll be able to do this pretty well. Thanks so much! I agree, Robert is very smart and gives great advice!! :-)

Good to hear! Thanks!

Marietta said:

I've been injected one or another med for 11 yrs. I usually do it midday-afternoon, because that's when I have a little down time, and I'm not exceptionally stiff (morning) or pain (evening). I've never not done anything like swimming or activities because I've injected, I've never thought of it, really. I might notice if I hit just the spot I injected against something like the table edge, but otherwise I forget about the injection site pretty promptly and go about my business.

I cant imagine injecting every week for 13 yrs. But I will get used to it, havent had my first injection yet so it's hard to picture it or believe it. Even my hubby said that, after picking up theenbrel frm the pharmacy reality set in for him, for me it'll be tomorrow when the nurse comes over. Actually for me , it'll be when Im on my own, altho my husband said he can do it. Not so sure if I should let him. I want to do to myself. Lets see. I will keep in touch and try to remember you have been doing it for 13 yrs. This forum has been so informative so far. Im so glad everyone is willing to share their experiences and hear everyone out. And the advice Im getting sounds good. It makes me feel better, I admit that Im not the only one. Still it's a little unsettling that Im going to be starting injections soon. I have also heard that the prefilled needles hurt less but i am still going to try the auto injector pens first. I hope Im not nuts. I want to know the difference if I end up switching.

Robert said:

Hey Bee,

I've self-injected Enbre for 13 years or something like that...For me, I use the pre-filled not the pen. I have used the pen and can tell you it is ten times worse after you use the regular syringe!

I have always injected in my stomach. I alternate from one side one week and the other side the next week. All I do is remove the syringe from the fridge and let it warm up to room temp. or hold it in my hand for a few minutes. I wipe the area on my stomach with a alchohol pad, get the air out of the syringe, pinch some fat, poke myself, let go of fat, inject and wipe again with the alchohol pad.

Over the 13 years I have never had a reaction or infection. I have had minor itching for an hour up to 24hrs but, is less than a misquito bite like itch.

I have injected all different days of the week and hours of the day without noticing a difference.

As far as swimming...I wouldn't dangle your feet in the water while you inject your enbrel and jump right in but, you shouldn't have any problem swimming the same day.

If you have any questions ask me. I'm not a pro but, 13 years...even a dummy like me learns how to do stuff.

That would be a good position for me too (lie flat on my back), im going to try not to look while Im doing it. I know my kids will want to look , they are small and will be curious and will ask me a thousand questions...should keep my mind occupied before, during and after!!!

Never give up hope said:

I've only started using the pen recently, i do inject in my belly, let it reach room temperature and lay flat on my back. it doesnt bother me, just a little sting until the injection is complete. i dont have any irritation the site. Hope everything works out for you.

my husband says he can do it for me, Im going to try to do it myself. I heard about letting it get to room temp before u do it too...is that because it wont hurt as much...the nurse also told me to take it out of the fridge to get to room temp half n hour before she comes in the morning. thanks good advice Meg! .

meg said:

Hi Bee, I always do the shot right before bed. My son does it for me too. I do use the pen.I think the advise about letting it get to room temp is the best. It really only stings for a sec, then thats it. BTW- I don't think Robert is a dummy either. (Robert!) Pretty smart I think. So good luck.It'll be fine.

Marietta: you make it sound easy, a breeze...i hope it is. I trust you after u have been doing it for 11 yrs. If not easy or a breeze, u seem comfortable with it, and I hope I can become comfortable with it too.

beecreek said:

Good to hear! Thanks!

Marietta said:

I am still scared Sherry!!! LOL But I can also visualize it now...before I didnt even want to think about it!!! I feel more prepared and I know if I have any more questions or concerns I can ask people on this forum, thanks all.

Sherry said:

This discussion offers really good advice for me too. I'm seeing my Rheumy this Friday and I'm pretty sure he'll be starting me on one of the biologics as he's already said as much. So we'll see. But now after reading what you all have written, I'm not afraid at all. In fact, you all have made me feel like I'll know how to do it and that I'll be just fine. Thank you very much! When I was reading your description (Robert) I was sort of visualizing it. So I think I'll be able to do this pretty well. Thanks so much! I agree, Robert is very smart and gives great advice!! :-)

I wonder how helpful the nurses at enliven are. Anyone had to contact them while on enbrel injections for anything, and how helpful were they? Does anyone know if a nurse will make a 2nd visit or 3rd visit to the home if need be. Or is the service just 1 visit (the first time) and that's it?

Honestly, I was soooooo freaked out before the nurse taught me how to inject at my dr's office the first time. I still can't quite get over that I'm giving myself a shot. But the needle is tiny, and the injection is only a small amount of clear liquid under the skin. If it starts helping, you will start looking forward to the injection, knowing it is helping! I get anxious about the injection about 60 seconds before I inject, for the 5 seconds of injection, and take about 60 seconds afterwards to become completely calm and forget about it. So, all in all it is less than 3 minutes out of a whole week that I even deal with the whole process.

beecreek said:

Marietta: you make it sound easy, a breeze...i hope it is. I trust you after u have been doing it for 11 yrs. If not easy or a breeze, u seem comfortable with it, and I hope I can become comfortable with it too.

I think if I had read any of the web sites before I started Enbrel, I would have been freaking. Instead I read the manufacturers warnings and ble them off as lawyer CYA materials. The same with injecting myself.. Ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't recommend it but I have given my self a shot while driving. Its not that I don't understand the needle phobia thing, I really do but a lot of its attitude. The worst I ever saw was number 3 son. I don't know how many of you have a a Now Care in your shopping mall but we do. Dano needed an immunization before starting a new school and it sort of slipped through the cracks so on a Sunday evening we found ourselves at the mall. I was in front of the place enjoying a latte when I heard a lod bang to see Dano running up the Hall with two nurses chasing him. one with the swab the other with a syringe. The school was a large University at which Dano was going to be a defensive End. at the time he was 6'3" and about 265. he finished his career, played a year on a scout team for a Pro team. He is now in in 40's and required a a tetanus shot for his job. His wife (an RN) had to sneak up on him while he was sleeping.

Attitude is everything - best of luck

you are very funny, i like how u explain things...it makes sense and puts you at ease.

I inject twice a week, once in the morning, once at night. Either way works. If I inject in the morning, it's before exercise and work. In the evening it's before bed. Sometimes I get minor injection site reactions. The exercise helps it resolve and if I go to sleep I don't notice it.

Ok great! The nurse who came earlier this morn told me the same thing. Some people find the best time to inject is before bed in case you start feeling achy..you can just sleep it off.

Nurse has been and I had my first enbrel injection this morn!!! Im so proud of myself lol...I did it. I think I'll feel more comfortable without the nurse tho...I can complain a little more without her... I was on my best behaviour with her here withe me I was being too brave lol..if you know what I mean. But at the same time having the nurse here when i did was a distraction too. Anyways...there was no problem. It was easy too. Still it'll take time to get used to it. It did really hurt when receiving the medicine... ouch...I wont lie... but it was just 12 seconds of pain...and Im counting & trying not to think about the pain. I was instructed to count to 12 unless u hear the click to make sure all the medicine went in, before removing the auto-injector. Even tho it is more painful as far as I have heard compared to pre filled syringe...BUT I think I'll just stick to the auto injector because this way I dont see the needle. I'll know it's coming either way and that'll make me very nervous but seeing a needle will make me feel ill. My hands are not very steady either. That's just me. To each their own. I think I'll be more comfortable with the auto injector. For now anyways.... besides if I do switch later i'll be nervous all over again. Anyways I injected the enbrel in my hip. That was about 5 hrs ago, & no site reactions, no allergy to the medication, & no pain after. So far so good! I think I can do this week after week. It's not so bad! Hopefully it'll stay this easy & I hope I'll do well on it...get no SE frm either the injector or the medication. I do plan to switch times next week tho.. Im going to do the injection before bed next week. All for now.

Good Job! In a very short time those 12 seconds will lead to 7 days of relief.