Interesting reading?

Just a few articles....one more to follow

■■■■69471389.pdf (265 KB) 541-TreatingEarlyRheumatoidArthritisAGuidelineComparison.pdf (43.9 KB) 542-UstekinumabApprovedforPsoriaticArthritis.pdf (20.9 KB)

Thanks for posting these articles.

My dr. is actually switching me to Stelara in a few weeks, because it has just been approved for PsA.

Hope it works well for you x

There was a Phase III study occuring at the same time...

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01009086

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)60594-2/abstract

For reasons I don't understan the whole link isn't active.

Laura E D said:

and the record reads...No Study Results Posted on ClinicalTrials.gov for this Study. Are the results posted elsewhere?

I'm eagerly awaiting the results/reporting of PENN's PET/CT in psoriatic arthritis

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01654198?term=PET%2FCT+...

but also not seeing any results updates there or elsewhere on the net. The images that that team released of psoriasis patients were remarkable.

I was at a meeting yesterday, where there was some discussion of that very topic. Apparently we are very close to having blood tests that will be able to match the biologic to the patient. I'm not sure everyone understands just how different each one is from the other. The differences are huge, especially with the newer ones.................

Thanks Louise! This certainly is interesting reading.

Very encouraging.

Peripheral pain in PsA (and AS) is caused by enthesitis. The biologicals really are not effective against that. Thats ONE of the many reasons treatment either starts with a DMARD or one is added later on if the primary problems are "attached" to the core (spine)

There is more going on with PsA however. One of the myths is that ESR, CRP, and SED rate aren't effected,. This isn't true. They may not have the huge spikes but after a number of these test are run almost ALWAYS one can be followed and if plotted properly will clearly let your doc know whats going on (after a bit he can look at raw data and know) Remember enthesitis is not systemic.

Getting your joints under control is only part of the solution (the most important) One of the encouraging things about this new drug (stellera) is that its efficacy was tested only on people NOT taking DMARDS and had never taken another biological.

The entheses is that ity bity pit in the bone where the tendon attaches The synovium is the sheath that covers the tendon you have managed to hit on one of the more common "systemic" inflammation events. There are a number of entheses point's (which sadly coincide with same pain points as fibro) They can actually can "feel" the inflammation. A lot of docs don't do a physical exam anymore, the good ones do.

sybil said:

Some of this is new to me, or a new emphasis anyway so it may be that the penny drops later & I'll realise I've asked a stupid question. But here goes. If the pain's caused by enthesitis and enthesitis is not systemic, what does systemic inflammation in PsA actually do - how does it show itself other than in blood tests? Also, I've been told my swollen wrist is due to tenosynovitis, is that same as enthesitis?

tntlamb said:

Peripheral pain in PsA (and AS) is caused by enthesitis. The biologicals really are not effective against that. Thats ONE of the many reasons treatment either starts with a DMARD or one is added later on if the primary problems are "attached" to the core (spine)

There is more going on with PsA however. One of the myths is that ESR, CRP, and SED rate aren't effected,. This isn't true. They may not have the huge spikes but after a number of these test are run almost ALWAYS one can be followed and if plotted properly will clearly let your doc know whats going on (after a bit he can look at raw data and know) Remember enthesitis is not systemic.

Getting your joints under control is only part of the solution (the most important) One of the encouraging things about this new drug (stellera) is that its efficacy was tested only on people NOT taking DMARDS and had never taken another biological.

hi sybil, as far as I understand it tenosynovitis is the inflammation of the sheath of the tendon rather than the tendon itself. Enthesitis is the inflammation of the area where the ligament or tendon joins to the bone. As far as pain goes, they both feel the same to me although on my R wrist I have a permanent hard swelling at the site of my tenosynovitis which usually doubles in size when painful over several months.

sybil said:

Some of this is new to me, or a new emphasis anyway so it may be that the penny drops later & I’ll realise I’ve asked a stupid question. But here goes. If the pain’s caused by enthesitis and enthesitis is not systemic, what does systemic inflammation in PsA actually do - how does it show itself other than in blood tests? Also, I’ve been told my swollen wrist is due to tenosynovitis, is that same as enthesitis?

tntlamb said:

Peripheral pain in PsA (and AS) is caused by enthesitis. The biologicals really are not effective against that. Thats ONE of the many reasons treatment either starts with a DMARD or one is added later on if the primary problems are “attached” to the core (spine)

There is more going on with PsA however. One of the myths is that ESR, CRP, and SED rate aren’t effected,. This isn’t true. They may not have the huge spikes but after a number of these test are run almost ALWAYS one can be followed and if plotted properly will clearly let your doc know whats going on (after a bit he can look at raw data and know) Remember enthesitis is not systemic.

sorry lamb, didn’t realise you were there first with the reply :slight_smile: too slow is me lol

tntlamb said:

The entheses is that ity bity pit in the bone where the tendon attaches The synovium is the sheath that covers the tendon you have managed to hit on one of the more common “systemic” inflammation events. There are a number of entheses point’s (which sadly coincide with same pain points as fibro) They can actually can “feel” the inflammation. A lot of docs don’t do a physical exam anymore, the good ones do.

sybil said:

Some of this is new to me, or a new emphasis anyway so it may be that the penny drops later & I’ll realise I’ve asked a stupid question. But here goes. If the pain’s caused by enthesitis and enthesitis is not systemic, what does systemic inflammation in PsA actually do - how does it show itself other than in blood tests? Also, I’ve been told my swollen wrist is due to tenosynovitis, is that same as enthesitis?

tntlamb said:

Peripheral pain in PsA (and AS) is caused by enthesitis. The biologicals really are not effective against that. Thats ONE of the many reasons treatment either starts with a DMARD or one is added later on if the primary problems are “attached” to the core (spine)

There is more going on with PsA however. One of the myths is that ESR, CRP, and SED rate aren’t effected,. This isn’t true. They may not have the huge spikes but after a number of these test are run almost ALWAYS one can be followed and if plotted properly will clearly let your doc know whats going on (after a bit he can look at raw data and know) Remember enthesitis is not systemic.

You made it more real though Louise