Infection and Psoriasis

So this could be a “chicken and egg” question but I find that when I have a UTI (yes I have yet another one!)
after starting the antibiotics my P really flares. My face around my nose and mouth is red and sore and came up over night. All my other patches are red and raised.

Woke up Saturday morning and was peeing very bloody urine, got antibiotics, woke Sunday with P flare too.

So, what do you think, is this the infection causing my immune system to jump or is it the antibiotics causing this reaction?

Infection is a known trigger for sure. Usually its strep though (often without symptoms) any sudden flare of P should ALWAYS have a strep test no matter what else is going on. iAlso Plaquenil (and all the antimalarials) but that usually shows up about 3 weeks into things but sometimes just an insult to the immune system can get things rocking and rolling.

I can't answer your question Louise but I just wanted to say I hope all this gets under control for you soon.

UTI's are horrible, just a thought has your partner been checked out 'cos I went through this merry-go-round many years ago and it turned out we both had it so although I got clear on antibiotics I kept being re-infected after wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

Yup the re infection after a bit of “hows your father” did occur to us too, during the last round of infections, so my partner has been tested and was clear. Its just a real nuisance and tends to happen when I get very low. GP wants to refer me to urology just for a check that alls ok down there.
Thanks Lamb, it does make sense that an infection puts my P into overdrive, just have to ride it out :slight_smile:

I think the infection is the culprit. I am on antibiotics for UTI. I didn't even know that I had one until I had my routine labs. I have been having a horrible flare and about 3/4 of the way thru my antibiotics everything is starting to quiet down. It makes sense to me.

I have nothing except to commiserate and say "ouch"! I used to get UTIs frequently and always kept piridium (iodine) pills on hand to lessen the initial symptoms until I could get antibiotics on board. Is there anything dietary you can do to reduce the likelihood you'll get another UTI? I know I've consumed by bodyweight in unsweetened cranberry juice *[pucker]* and lemon barley water to try to keep my pH levels correct. And no soda or caffeine or excess sugar. But sometimes you just get them...so please know I'm not blaming the victim!! Feel better soon!

I’m so sick of cranberry juice, as you say it sure makes you pucker lol. I’m pleased about any advice I get. One question was raised by my GP about was the increase in Amitriptyline dose part of the problem as it has been known to increase urine retention, so I may not be emptying my bladder properly (?) hence the urology referral.

I am just going to echo Lamb here and say that the infection is most likely triggering the flare. Stress on the body, and all that jazz.

I've always had flares with infection. My PsA started last fall after a series of antibiotics runs for strep, then a bad stomach bug, then strep again.

I don’t know, but I used to get UTI’s all the time. Now I take cranberry pills morning & evening. Doc says it keeps the acidity levels to high for infection to start, now I only get infections when I slack off the cranberry. Feel better

I woke up with terrible UTI symptoms on 7/3. Started antibiotics and started feeling a little better and now WHAM!! Here we go again with another PSA flare and guess what--I did a google search and this discussion came up. I am so sick of this.......Do I get out the prednisone bottle again and put on another 10lbs?? GRRRRRRR

It’s possible that a chronic UTI may cause psoriasis flare. Although possible, I wouldn’t blame the antibiotic. Chronic UTI maybe a sign of more serious problems. You may be able to make some dietary changes to help. For example, reducing your sugar intake and drinking enough water to keep you hydrated may help some.

My daughter had a horrible problem with UTIs until her doctor came up with a remedy that works really well. I can find out what it is exactly. She also gets yeast infections because of the antibiotics so the doctor figured out how to avoid that, too. I haven't heard her complain about any of this for several months now, so it's working. I had UTIs frequently when I was younger and what helped mine was drinking ocean spray cranberry juice throughout a whole day at the first very slight feeling of discomfort in that area.

Okay, if you're still there (I see this discussion started a couple months ago)....my daughter got her UTIs from having sex, so IDK if this relates; but, here's what works for her:

For 3 months, she took 1 - 100mg Macrobid within 1/2 hour of having sex. Now she's down to 1- 50mg Macrobid each time. Eventually, her Dr said they should be able to discontinue the Macrobid. She hasn't had a UTI since this started. She told me she has stopped taking cranberry juice/pills.

That is pretty common: UTI after sex, vaginal contact, etc… Prevention is key, so here’s some good old prevents tips: 1) make sure that you and your partner are clean beforehand. Ideally, you would both shower a beforehand, but we all know that isn’t reasonable or always feasible. So wash your bits before playtime. That includes hands and fingernails. 2) ladies should urinate after sexual activities 3) make sure that any additional bedroom items are thoroughly cleaned, after every use with cleanser or warm soap and water. 3) Urinate after sexual activity. (Trust me on this one; haven’t had a UTI in years) It helps to flush out any debris, dirt, or bacteria that may have inadvertently taken a trip where it shouldn’t be. Even if you don’t have to go, or need to run your hand under running water, make sure you go. 4)Wash after sexual activity.

Another tip for the bathroom that I hate mentioning because I assume it is common knowledge: always wipe front to back.

Haha, GrumpyCat! I was just about to add that last little tip until I saw that you did mention it!!!

Great tips :slight_smile: Although I had still had problems despite precautions taken, we have now found the root cause of the repeated UTIs…I have not been emptying my bladder properly, due to a strange shaped bladder seen on a scan so have had to undergo retraining to “empty” properly lol. Fingers crossed no further UTIs :slight_smile:

I empathize. I have been having a similar problem with my bladder. I have resorted to holding my hand under the enter each time. :slight_smile:

Louise Hoy said:

Great tips :slight_smile: Although I had still had problems despite precautions taken, we have now found the root cause of the repeated UTIs…I have not been emptying my bladder properly, due to a strange shaped bladder seen on a scan so have had to undergo retraining to “empty” properly lol. Fingers crossed no further UTIs :slight_smile: