I Asked the Rheumatologist the BIG QUESTION today

Thanks so much for asking the question and sharing the answer. Being completely dependent is my biggest fear as well.

I suspect it is for a lot of us. Not that I don't love my husband and son but they would really suck as care givers. I don't even put them in charge of the baby chicks!

One of the things I love about my rheumatologist is that he was completely honest with me when I was first diagnosed with PsA/ankylosing spondylitis. He said that mine is the most aggressive he's seen and that it would take time, months to years, to find a treatment that worked for me - and to not get discouraged if the first course of treatment didn't do the trick. That, to me, both prepared me for what was to come (he couldn't believe I was still able to walk, and let me know that canes, crutches, and/or a wheelchair would be useful while I found the right treatment - so that I could stay active), and reassured me that lack of immediate results didn't mean we wouldn't eventually find something that worked for me.

I am a total caregiver, and needing to count on others was definitely a learning experience for me. I LOVE helping people, so I figure I'll just look at asking others for help as an opportunity for someone else to get to help someone (me!). :)

Glad for all of us that you asked the question Michael, think it is a fear that lurks in the back of all of our minds especially when we are going though a bad patch x

This is a wonderful post! Thanks Michael!

Thank you for being brave enough to ask!! It is SO encouraging and a relief for you and all of us! :)

michael in vermont said:

I believe truth is always best but it took me 7 years to ask her!