Hydrotherapy - update

Today I reached the end of my initial course of hydrotherapy sessions and have just signed up for the next six weeks.

I'm pleased to report no sign of any of the infection problems I was worrying about using a school pool, skin is just a bit itchy if I don't soap it really well in the showers to remove the chemicals. I then shower again when I get home and apply moisturisers.

My biggest surprise is that I'm actually enjoying it more than I expected. It feels great to be moving my body and the water is so supportive. AND after only three weeks I'm already seeing some physical benefits, leg muscles seem much stronger and range of movement in my right shoulder is improving.

So thank you everyone who put my mind at rest about infections and told me to 'go for it'. I did and I highly recommend it.

Isn't the warm water wonderful? It is the most healing thing I have found. I am so glad you tried it and it is working for you. I worry more about infection in the locker room. I wear swim shoes and wash my hands (an all other parts too!) and yes a good moisturizer is key. Right now I am using a Bio oil in the shower and a lotion on top of that. It really helps.

That's great news Jules, I just love getting in the water, glad you're seeing benefits already. I've started using "udderly smooth" cream after swimming and as my hair was suffering, Elvive extraordinary oil, now it's back in shape :)

I am unable to swim any more. I exercise in a 4 ft deep warm pool. I do not get my hair wet and as I am tall my shoulders and such are not immersed most of the time. I do dance and yoga and exercises PT taught me. I wear my glasses so as not to hurt anyone. Sometimes I am alone in there and I am able to dance in a way I haven't in 30 years. I some how cough up ballet moves I did not remember with my conscious mind. It is so lovely. I have threatened to put an MP3 player on my head with duct tape and cover it with a shower cap so I can have some music. My family was not impressed but it might get me a waterproof one for Christmas!

Michael! There’s a woman who swims on a Sunday morning and she does have her MP3 player in the water with her, its strapped to her arm, she has a tight swim hat and it looks like its built in! Definitely one for the Christmas list there :slight_smile:

michael in vermont said:

I am unable to swim any more. I exercise in a 4 ft deep warm pool. I do not get my hair wet and as I am tall my shoulders and such are not immersed most of the time. I do dance and yoga and exercises PT taught me. I wear my glasses so as not to hurt anyone. Sometimes I am alone in there and I am able to dance in a way I haven’t in 30 years. I some how cough up ballet moves I did not remember with my conscious mind. It is so lovely. I have threatened to put an MP3 player on my head with duct tape and cover it with a shower cap so I can have some music. My family was not impressed but it might get me a waterproof one for Christmas!

I am not sure about the tight cap. It might make me really crazy or pull out the last of my hair but waterproof would be good and save my family some embarrassment!

Thought I would chime in because the water has become my savior yet again. I have a waterproof iPod & earbuds ordered from Amazon a couple years ago. I have my own playlist of songs for the pool. I used to go to water aerobics classes before the PsA started getting worse and loved exercising in the water. This was pre-diagnosis, but it’s funny that my body seemed to recognize water was my best medium for movement, even then. Now I go to the pool & listen to my waterproof iPod and exercise and move on my own. It is total bliss! We lock up so quickly because it hurts to move! But in the water, it is so much easier to be free again.

That sounds great ! Keep doing what ever works. Especially if you enjoy it :)

I'm so happy that the aqua therapy has worked for you. According to my Physical Therapist, the benefits of aqua therapy are two-fold:

• First is is a supportive (non-weight-bearing) activity so it is unlikely to worsen or aggravate your symptoms
  • Second, the pressure of the water on your body while you are immersed acts like a gentle compression garment and can help to alleviate some degree of inflammation (which can explain the need to pee that some people have after swimming!!)

I bought a waterproof mp3 player several years ago and it was less than $40. It really helps me to stay in the zone and alleviate boredom.

sybil said:

That's what it's about, letting the body move. Yoga etc. do the job but we all know how we want to move and that's often how we need to move.

michael in vermont said:

I am unable to swim any more. I exercise in a 4 ft deep warm pool. I do not get my hair wet and as I am tall my shoulders and such are not immersed most of the time. I do dance and yoga and exercises PT taught me. I wear my glasses so as not to hurt anyone. Sometimes I am alone in there and I am able to dance in a way I haven't in 30 years. I some how cough up ballet moves I did not remember with my conscious mind. It is so lovely. I have threatened to put an MP3 player on my head with duct tape and cover it with a shower cap so I can have some music. My family was not impressed but it might get me a waterproof one for Christmas!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Makes me want a pool ....... I have warned the goldfish !?!?!

Good idea about waterproof mp3.

I got the info on our physio/hydrotherapy program here in town. I have to have an initial assessment, and then I get a weekly session in the pool. The insurance pays up to a maximum of $750, with NO COPAY! Woo hoo! So I’m good for about ten sessions. I’m excited, and will get started as soon as we are back from our short rv trip.
The only minor downside for me is that it is a private session. I’d much rather be in the pool with a bunch of other people. But that is just me.

I've been enjoying the social side of hydro a lot, probably as much as the actual activity. I just have to remember to keep waving the woggle about a bit whilst yakking every time teacher looks over. I've even pulled- very temporarily. I thought this guy had some sort of affliction and eventually realised he was winking at me. So last week I sidled over, well as much as one can sidle wearing sponge weights and introduced myself. I gave him my full catalogue of woes and noticed this week his winking has miraculously stopped.

Ali you crack me up :slight_smile:

It's a great idea isn't it Jules! It's on my Christmas list!