Humira reaction?

Hi there! I’m usually a fairly quiet member, but I always know I can come here when I need to find good information. And right now I need it. :slight_smile:
I’ve been on Humira for a few months now, and for the most part it’s been going well. I’m still having a lot of problem with tendon pain in several joints, but overall I feel better on the Humira than off it. My biggest problem is the red, hot, itchy rash I get at my injection site. It flares up within a couple hours after my injection, and hangs around for at least a week now. It seems to be getting worse each time. I had an injection on Sunday, and I now have a area 6 inches across that is insanely itchy. I’ve tried taking Benadryl, applying steroid creams,icing…I still can’t stop scratching! Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I give up on Humira and try something else? I’m open to any and all input and suggestions…

A lot of us got a reddish patch around the injection site, but mine was maybe at the most 2 inches in diameter and it only happened for the first 5 or 6 injections, and it didn’t itch. I’m on Enbrel, but I think there are others who also got a rash when they injected Humira. However, I would probably ask your doctor or pharmacist if I were you because if it’s getting worse each time, that’s kind of a red flag I think for some sort of allergy. Could you be allergic to the alcohol wipe?
If Humira is working otherwise and not causing any other SEs, it would be nice to figure this out and continue taking it rather than switching biologics. Good luck! I hope this resolves soon!

Hi Grandma_J. My red spots were only a couple inches across the first couple of times too. My dr said I can switch to a different biologic if I want - he’s leaving it up to me. I just hate going through all that again and taking the risk of side effects that will be more annoying than the itchiness is. It’s driving me crazy today though…so I’m getting closer to making the call.

HI KitKat,

I’d recommend calling the 1-800 number on your Humira box and asking to speak to the nurse. There may be things you can do before injecting to help you out (anti-alergy meds?). The nurses have lots of good information about the drug and how your body might be reacting to it. I’ve been fortunate to have no reaction to Enbrel or Humira but did speak at length to the Humira nurse when I switched to it from Enbrel. The one I talked to was positively lovely. This might also feel like less of a nuclear option than switching biologics!

For sure call the Humira Nurse. The thing about Humira is that its pH is about 5.2 which greatly increases it binding ability but causes some more severe site reactions in people. Its critical to widley change your injection site: belly> leg > opposite side of belly > opposite leg >repeat

With the pH as low as it is what you experiencing (most likely) is most similar to a minor sunburn. If you stay in the same area it will grow over time.

NEVER EVER RUB the site the most common reason is being over zealous with the alcohol swab. I find it best NOT to pinch the skin before injection.