Humira and injection site reaction (welts)

Just wanted to know if anyone gets "welts" after injecting a biologic. I have used Humira for about 9 months and just increased to weekly shots. Last injection left a palm sized welt and I never had any reaction like that before. I called the rheumy and left a message but no response yet...holiday schedule. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Yup it happens. You never know what the needle is is going to hit, or exactly where the med is going to go before being absorbed. Site reactions are generally pretty meaningless.

I went to school in a different time when discipline was handled a bit differently I can remember the entire gym class (50 of us) line up for a couple of "swats" on several occasions. Needless to say when we hit the showers at the end of class there was always a great deal of curiosity as to how everyone's rear end fared. (Cook swung a mean Paddle) there was a lot of variance. As there was on the other occasions

Thanks for the response. My other thought was my latex sensitivity as it contains some in the needle cap.

tntlamb said:

Yup it happens. You never know what the needle is is going to hit, or exactly where the med is going to go before being absorbed. Site reactions are generally pretty meaningless.

I went to school in a different time when discipline was handled a bit differently I can remember the entire gym class (50 of us) line up for a couple of "swats" on several occasions. Needless to say when we hit the showers at the end of class there was always a great deal of curiosity as to how everyone's rear end fared. (Cook swung a mean Paddle) there was a lot of variance. As there was on the other occasions

You could also give the patient support nurse a call, 1.800.4.HUMIRA

I had some pretty big welts (hot! itchy!) for the first couple of months on Enbrel. I’m down to a “bite” that disappears in a few hours.

Yeah, I've gotten some itchy welts before. I find that an ice pack helps.

Thx for the replies...I did call Humira and the nurse took a report. Just wondering about others experiences with it.

I used to take Humira, the first few times I had no reaction at all. After a few months, I would get a silver dollar sized red welt that itched like mad. The spot would take so long to fade that it would be light brown when it was time for my next shot two weeks later. My rheumatologist told me to take tylenol and benadryl with the shot, but it didn't work. I had better luck with a 24 hour allergy tablet, generic allegra. I would also put some cortisone on the spot and then it would not itch and only last a day or two. Now I have been on Cimzia since early November and I get a spot that is whiter than the surrounding area, but it doesn't itch. Weird....