Enbrel Injections

So I had my 4th injection today. I guess I'm starting to get the knack of it. It really isn't any fun that's for sure.

It's odd, my first shot, no issues until 2 weeks after the injection. My 2nd shot, rash at injection site 4 days later. My 3rd shot, a rash pretty much right away. I have to say my 4th shot is looking ok so far, just a little pink. Maybe I just sucked at doing the last couple shots lol I'm hoping that's what it was.

Anyway, they say this is a common reaction but I'm wondering, does this ever stop ? Will I always have this reaction ? I will have to find out.

So far, I'm just using ice afterward for any swelling. I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions ?

That’s exactly what happened to me. I started getting a site reaction after a couple of shots. And then they got bigger by the week. They peaked at about 10cm across, and hot and itchy as all get out. At one point, I started getting a site reaction and a secondary reaction on last week’s site. I got the best relief from OtC Benadryl cream, big globs, and rub it in well. Little by little, they diminished but it was several months before they just became a large “insect bite”. Now the “bite” disappears in a couple of hours.
I called the Enbrel helpline at one point and they reassured me that it was nothing to worry about. Give them a call if you’re uncomfortable with it.

I got site reactions from Humiria. I generally did not put anything on it but a couple of times I did use Hydrocortisone cream OTC on it with relief. I reacted the whole time I used it.

Haha we all have something in common-more like a lot of things in common!

Seenie, when you told me I would probably get a site reaction, I thought no I won't.... because I didn't right away. It was like michael's'--delayed. Now I'm getting the reaction every time. It's a big pink blotch, about 2" x 3" and lasts a few days with no real discomfort.

Michael, do you use the sureclick pen injectors? I do, and they're so cool. I didn't think I'd be able to stick myself with a needle that I could see. Looking inside that pen, the needle looks pretty long--like 3/4" !!!! I don't think my fat is that thick! I prefer to put it in my stomach, cuz the blubber is plentiful (I had 4 babies). You just have to stretch the skin tight otherwise the shot won't eject, which can be challenging.

I have to say I love my Enbrel shot!!! Michael, I hope you get as good of results from Enbrel as I am. I feel like a totally new person. Seenie, it is like an antidepressant!

Yes, Seenie, I spoke to a nurse about it but am told it is very common. As I understand it's nothing to worry about but to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wondered if it was ok to use something. A least for the itching. My injection site from yesterday barely shows anything at all. Not complaining :) It is definitely working. Psoriasis spots on my knees are almost gone.

Grandma I think your questions are meant for Dini not me but I will answer anyway just in case. I am now on Stelara, my sixth biologic. I have used both the auto injector and regular syringes. I find they both have pros and cons and use which ever it comes in. I also inject mtx weekly and I use a regular syringe for that. I also Inject into my tummy; it hurts less there.

Wonderful when you get the first hints that it’s working! Look forward to better days!

Dini said:

Yes, Seenie, I spoke to a nurse about it but am told it is very common. As I understand it’s nothing to worry about but to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wondered if it was ok to use something. A least for the itching. My injection site from yesterday barely shows anything at all. Not complaining :slight_smile: It is definitely working. Psoriasis spots on my knees are almost gone.

I'm at about 10cm across now myself from last Fridays injection. I bought some of the cream but likely didn't use enough. Thanks so much for the tips and reassurance.