Enbrel injection site reaction

I have taken two Enbrel injections, the day before the third injections a rash popped up on each of previous injection sites. I was surprized it took so long for them to occur. I looked reactions to Enbrel up on the internet and the rash pictures looked exactly like mine.

First you need to notify your doctor. I was on enbrel & my sites became red & itchy. My rheumy told me to ice it 10-15 minutes before & after injection & that did make a difference. But you seriously should notify your doctor. Best of luck to you. Let us know how you make out.

I have had 2 Enbrel injections and Thursday will be my 3rd. Last night I found rashes on the previous sites. At first I though it was bug bites. This morning the areas are 2 1/2" X 4" and growing, and very warm, red and raised. They look like large red patches now not individual dots. I was surprised too how it took so long for the rash. I thought it wouldn't happen if I didn't see it within the first week. I will try the ice. Are you going to take your next shot Yvonne?

Aside form the "normal" site reactions as you describe you are having and just inexplicably go away after a few., there is the possibility of latex sensitivity which will not....

Also for some reason there seems to be less with the self injected (you can more easily angle the needle for one thing) than with the auto injector.

FWIW I only got those reactions when injecting in my belly, when I started in my leg (at the nurses suggestion) not only did it hurt less, BUT the reactions stopped.

Other than that I swear the stuff started working on the way home from the Docs office. The reaction was worth every bit of it for the relief I got..... Ice and maybe a a benedryly 15 minutes befor injecting AND make sure its warmed up sufficiently.

I had the same thing happen when I did my third injection. Then no reactions for most of my other injections.

When I was on Enbrel I got an injection site reaction every time - a raised rash that looked like hives. It would be very warm to the touch and very itchy. I used by the prefilled syringes and the auto-inject methods. My Rheum said it was normal, and they did go away after a few days. When Enbrel stopped working, I switched to Humira I had NO injection site reaction, unfortunately, Humira didn't work. I am now on Simponi and also do NOT have injection site reactions, but again, I think this medication is losing its effectiveness.

The rash is better, doesn't itch now.

Now I have another problem. I am receiving help through Enbrel Support which pays for my Enbrel, but the closest pharmacy that would work with my insurance is 100 miles away and they ship a 1 month supply. Here's the problem, my prescription was for the auto injector and the shipment I received today is prefilled syringes. I have needle phobia! I don't think I could give myself a shot if someone put a gun to my head. I was all ready to give myself a shot with the auto inject (no needle in sight) and now I have to find someone to give me the shot. ANXIETY!

Dear Yvonne,

Sorry for your anxiety, the last thing we need is more of that! If all else fails, go to your GP, he should have a nurse to inject you until you can get past this. I once had the phobia too, but it fades, if you let it.

Stay strong and positive!

Hugs,

SK

Yvonne said:

The rash is better, doesn't itch now.

Now I have another problem. I am receiving help through Enbrel Support which pays for my Enbrel, but the closest pharmacy that would work with my insurance is 100 miles away and they ship a 1 month supply. Here's the problem, my prescription was for the auto injector and the shipment I received today is prefilled syringes. I have needle phobia! I don't think I could give myself a shot if someone put a gun to my head. I was all ready to give myself a shot with the auto inject (no needle in sight) and now I have to find someone to give me the shot. ANXIETY!

Needle phobia is not pleasant but it can be overcome. Have the nurse help you... The first time is the worst and REMEMBER it hurts a lot LESS than auto-injectors. Think of diabetics who inject multiple times a day... The teeny tiny needles with Enbrel if at the right angle don't penetrate any nerves anyway so there is very LITTLE (if any) pain

You can do it, every office has a good nurse who can get you through it.

Hi Yvonne,

How have you been feeling? Yes, I'm checking up on you!!! Hopefully you have been feeling better, notice anything with the Enbrel yet?

SK