How long have been people here been fighting this disease

As you know I am a newly diagnosed person who has been reading various discussions and sharing them with my mother. She ask me how long have these people been fighting this disease. I told her I do not know. ( This reason she is asking me is she is trying to point out to me that people do go on and live and travel, socialize, etc. So PsA friends, how long has everyone been fighting this disease?

I have had PsA for 10 years. Undiagnosed for 8 of those! I was pretty fortunate. Really pain is just in my hands. Fatigue and swelling/pain has gotten worse over the last year. Worried about my hands. I am now on the search for the right med. My doc just stopped MTX. Appt this week to discuss next med. My hands have become a little less useful. But really nothing I don’t do. We travel, I cook, clean, work full time and socialize!! I have 3 wonderful children. I continue to look for the right meds. My hope is I don’t become worse. That is why I want to find the right meds now. Stay positive you will find what works for you and still be able to enjoy life!

I have had PsA for 3 years and was diagnosed a year ago. I never stopped working full-time but went through quite a struggle managing to keep working before I was diagnosed - but so far so good. :)

I have improved a lot since my diagnosis and hope it stays this way! I can honestly say that other than some strenuous physical activities that I would like to do but can't (because of some damage already done and having to be careful not to stress my joints), I haven't missed out on anything in life for several months. :) I think it is very important that, while we often have to deal with A LOT of pain and fear, we keep positive and hopeful (although, I realize some days it's not possible :)) - it truly is the best medicine!!

I’ve had PsA for years but only diagnosed about 18 months ago. It is under control with mtx and I live a ‘normal’ life. I have a full, rewarding and active lifestyle with both working and looking after my two children. I go to the gym 3 times a week, do loads of crafts and a wide social circle. The only thing I have to watch is getting plenty of sleep as i can tire easily so I make sure I am tucked up in bed by 10:00. Hope this helps and reassures you that life isn’t over for you.

I have had PsA for over 30 years but not diagnosed until 2008. I kept thinking I had over done or fatigue was because I was a single mother. I remember having a terrible time with my achilles tendons in my 30s, I am now in my 50s. I no longer work but have a pretty full life. I have to pace myself and get plenty of rest. I take mtx 25 mg SC weekly and Enbrel SC, Celebrex and Vicodin as needed. During flares I have a hard time but they are fewer and less severe. I hope this helps.

Ive been dealing with this for two years total, and its about to be one year since my diagnosis

I got dx at 18 suffered for years before that. I’m 38 now so a long time. Life does go on, it will be a struggle but it does go on. :slight_smile: good luck.

Remember I am new to this disease, when you say it is a sruggle do you mean knowing you have a chronic condition, the pain, the not knowing what is next or what. I remember when I was first dx I felt like I was run over by a truck. I hope I never feel like that again. Will I?

Carolyn said:

I got dx at 18 suffered for years before that. I'm 38 now so a long time. Life does go on, it will be a struggle but it does go on. :) good luck.

Depends on how you want to feel. If you let the disease define you, You will feel like that AGAIN and AGAIN. But once you know what you are fighting you can be in control. There ARE worse things than pain...... I don't know where the local social security office found this guy, but when you go into apply for most anything he's the one that takes your app. Hes a quad an a respirator who does his entry with a soda straw stuck in his teeth...... We have flairs that last days weeks and occasionally months but they DO go away. almost all of us have periods of almost completely normal. But yeah there are struggles. This morning was one, I started to get out of bed but changed my mind when I tried.Then my wife got out the fire crackers... (HONEST!!!!) Don't know if she would actually light them or not. But after 30 years as middle school teacher (her) I know better than to try and find out)

Of course life goes on, what else are you going to do????

Rebel mom said:

Remember I am new to this disease, when you say it is a sruggle do you mean knowing you have a chronic condition, the pain, the not knowing what is next or what. I remember when I was first dx I felt like I was run over by a truck. I hope I never feel like that again. Will I?

Carolyn said:

I got dx at 18 suffered for years before that. I'm 38 now so a long time. Life does go on, it will be a struggle but it does go on. :) good luck.

going on 5 years. It was a happy 5oth present for me :). Not the worst gift I have been given either, I no longer can work but I do indulge myself in my hobbies , My husband indulges me too. My life is sorta the same with some mobility issues. I travel, make use of wheelchairs every where I go. Drugs do wonders for my pain . I live, just a little differently than I used too. I totally do not take walking for granted anymore . All in all l I have a pretty good life even with PsA. You just don't want to see me on a bad day :) LOL