How long does it take Humira to start working?

I took my first dose of Humira yesterday. How long does it take to notice the effects of it?

It will vary. At about 4 months it is usually at where its going to be.

A really good rule of thumb is that what ever the frequency of meds is, multiply that times 4. That is the point where the half life of the med is at a constant level in your body. Its at the point when the med can go to work if it has a lot to do. Frequently some meds will get loading doses (more or more often or both) to beat this (its cmmonly done with Enbrel and Remicade (I don't know about others

There of course are exceptions and attempts to beat the "math" with extended release or time release meds - especially pain meds. Other wise their effect goes up and down for a while

Frequently we will hear folks blame their new meds for a flare. I suppose that change in symptoms could be called that but all it really is, is your body trying to do something with the meds. With Humira, You don't have a sustained half life for 2 mos (or more) just about anything can happen in that time including a MAJOR flare. With an antibiotic, yit goes to work the first day.

Its not uncommon for the docs to fill in with a run of prednisone or similar while getting started........

My doctor does not give steroids to diabetics. I kind of wish he did. I went to the ER one time and they gave me a 60mg steroid pack for 5 days. So for three of five days, I felt like a new woman. My Rheumy thinks that steroids will just cause PsA to come back with a vengeance.

tntlamb said:

It will vary. At about 4 months it is usually at where its going to be.

A really good rule of thumb is that what ever the frequency of meds is, multiply that times 4. That is the point where the half life of the med is at a constant level in your body. Its at the point when the med can go to work if it has a lot to do. Frequently some meds will get loading doses (more or more often or both) to beat this (its cmmonly done with Enbrel and Remicade (I don't know about others

There of course are exceptions and attempts to beat the "math" with extended release or time release meds - especially pain meds. Other wise their effect goes up and down for a while

Frequently we will hear folks blame their new meds for a flare. I suppose that change in symptoms could be called that but all it really is, is your body trying to do something with the meds. With Humira, You don't have a sustained half life for 2 mos (or more) just about anything can happen in that time including a MAJOR flare. With an antibiotic, yit goes to work the first day.

Its not uncommon for the docs to fill in with a run of prednisone or similar while getting started........

I think our experiences outweigh the book knowledge my Rheumy thinks he has. I believe everyone of us reacts to different treatments in different ways. Thanks for all of the input.

The steroids DO cause the P to come back (most of the time.) FWIW the bad from the steroids far out weighs the good (most of the time) Unless your doc is a complete idiot, he has the collective experience of years and thousands of patients that guide his decisions.

Loading doses are only effective with certain diseases. For example, with Enbrel, there is no increase in response rate with the loading dose, but there is an increase rate of response in psoriasis.

Steroids are great for instant relief, but they come at a cost. Rebound flares issue, but certainly not the only. They can cause issues with diabetes, but also note that humira can to.

TEHawk-

I took my first injection 7 days ago and had some improved mobility in my wrists and knees in about 24 hours which continued through the week.

I was able to hold a pen and write for 5-10 minutes w/out a rest the day after the injection as compared to 1-2 minutes prior to the injection.

3 days after the shot I didn't think of needing oral meds. until after 3PM (normally I need them immediately after waking up).

I noted the swelling in my feet and hads reduces rather dramatically 4 days after the first injection -- sausage toes don't hurt as much and are less swollen, hot spot feeling from inflamation is reduced by at least 1/2.

Hope that is helpful information and will keep you in my prayers that the Humira kicks in fast! :)

Thanks! Your post is very very helpful!

Thanks everyone!

It took about 3 months for me to see an obvious improvement. Unfortunately, I had to go off Humira after nine months to allow respiratory infections to clear up. When I went back on it two months later, it was never effective for me again. I'm on Enbrel now.