How about trouble talking talking?

I have had this problem for several years. I will be talking to someone and I just can't articulate what I want to say. This comes and goes and I have been too afraid to mention it- fear of a neurology appointment. I had my remicaide infusion last week and it knocked me on my butt and I slept for I don't know how long. And then 2 days afterward, my brain was so fuzzy and I was having the hardest time talking-no slurring or stroke type symptoms. I think that I just sounded like an idiot. I'm fine now. This started way before I started the remicaide but I'm not sure-maybe it did start when I started biologics??

I have an issue with talking and putting together my thoughts during and sometimes for a few days after I have a migraine. Sometimes I get confused about what other people are saying too (so it is like an overall language issue).The difficulty with speech does not seem to relate to the severity of the migraine. It can happen with even a mild one that lasts only a day. I don't know if my migraines are related to PsA or not, but they do come when I have not taken the best care of myself.

Thank you for the responses. I try to not to panic, its just so darn embarrasing. The more that I think about it-I think that it is fatigue-which makes sense because the treatments always wipe me out. I have been blaming the benadryl pre-treatment-but I think that it is the remicaide-the anticipation of the remicaide and the cross my fingers that the remicaide will help.

I also have this issue. I put it down to being post menopausal for many years but recently found that a lot of fellow PSA suffers have the same issue

I too notice these type of problems, often its highlighted when I’m mentoring students, explaining the dialysis process etc and I will have to excuse myself. I find that often when people speak to me my mind can’t seem to process what is being said so I will have to ask them to repeat what they’ve said, often more than once.Its not my hearing as I hear them fine just can’t process what they say.
I have put it down to autoimmune fatigue and brain fog.

I’m prone to migraines and have always noticed my speech can deteriorate when one is on the way, and post migraine. I’ve noticed that since 2005 when I’ve started on anti inflammatory meds my migraines have lessened in number and intensity.

It’s always the PsA for me - the better controlled it is, the less I have those issues. There have been some really fascinating (though underpowered) studies on TNF, cytokines, and blockers and cognitive function - its different for everyone, and I had very adverse side effects with the MTX hangover, but on the whole, the disease was always worse.

I have trouble talking constantly. :) My family has learned how to finish my sentences for me. Especially my youngest daughter when I give her the "please help me" look. This has been going on for so long that I refuse to let it embarrass me anymore. I usually just apologise and tell people that I am sorry I just don't have or can't find the words today and leave it at that. I did have a fear that I was getting Alzheimers and expressed my fear to my PCP. He told me that as long as I knew that I was having trouble getting the words out then I was fine. It was when I couldn't remember or didn't know that I was having difficulty, then he would be concerned. I have discovered that life with PsA is an adventure.

I’m soo glad I’m not the only one!! If I over do it I’ll start slurring my words like I was drunk (I don’t drink) at other times I just can’t get what I want to say out. Or I’ll call windshield whippers toothpicks. Or whatnot. We just laugh at that cause well I’m a blonde :wink:
One time scared me though I was talking to my husband and all a sudden I couldn’t talk nothing would come out! It only happened that once.

Oh yeah....

Yes, yes, and yes. My Mom and sister seem to have difficulty finding words, so I believe part of mine is genetic. But, it has gotten so much worse. With pain, fatigue and inflamed days it’s the worst.Tirezza, I really like what your Doc said "He told me that as long as I knew that I was having trouble getting the words out then I was fine. It was when I couldn’t remember or didn’t know that I was having difficulty, then he would be concerned."
My sister passed away from breast cancer, which is also an inflammatory disease, I think. Anyways, her word retrieval (and brain fog) worsened with her Chemo, pain and fatigue also.
Weird thing this morning, my eyes didn’t seem to want to focus, so I stopped dead in my sentence bc it distracted me s o much! The person I was trying to talk to, and look at, filled in the blanks for me. I was glad.
Sometimes it bugs me when people don’t wait to let me think. Or they try to fill in the blank with the wrong word and then I really get messed up!

I too find that I often "loose my words". I have had this for many years, and believe I have had the psa for as many, but was only recently diagnosed and started meds. I therefore know that my speaking issues are not related to the meds, but possibly the disease.

I have also had this problem long before meds.......I believe it is part of the PSA. I loose words and have a difficult time trying to get my point across. My husband is used to me pointing at things and saying things like, "can you get me the green, round, play" when I want him to pass me the ball so I can throw it for the dog. Extremely embarrassing when you aren't with friends or family. Definitely makes me feel dumb in front of people I don't know well.

The neurology appointment might not be a bad idea. You don’t want to be on drug like Remicade if you have MS.

Slurred speech along with difficultly thinking can also be a sign of diabetes or a thyroid condition. When your BS drops to low, the previous symptoms are common. Some medications, like Aspirin, may lower your BS. Just food for thought.

Thank you- I will talk to my doctor about it. I take thyroid meds and my function is checked regularly. Fasting glucose has always been good --but I'm not a doctor.

mataribot said:

The neurology appointment might not be a bad idea. You don't want to be on drug like Remicade if you have MS.

Slurred speech along with difficultly thinking can also be a sign of diabetes or a thyroid condition. When your BS drops to low, the previous symptoms are common. Some medications, like Aspirin, may lower your BS. Just food for thought.

I had the fuzzy brain problem too but only while I was taking mtx. One of the reasons I stopped taking it.

I seem to lose my train of thought a lot, but never associated that with PsA. But now that you mentioned that, it is odd that nobody else in my family has that problem (or the PsA PROBLEM). It's interesting to me, too, that the few times I've been on prednisone my brain was unbelievably clear!

If I could stay on prednisone and not have the health risks and weight gain--it would be my drug of choice.

Grandma J said:

I seem to lose my train of thought a lot, but never associated that with PsA. But now that you mentioned that, it is odd that nobody else in my family has that problem (or the PsA PROBLEM). It's interesting to me, too, that the few times I've been on prednisone my brain was unbelievably clear!

Mine, too!!!!!

jhelvey said:

If I could stay on prednisone and not have the health risks and weight gain--it would be my drug of choice.

Grandma J said:

Thank you for confirming that I'm not losing my mind. I have to talk to a lot of people at work and I sometimes feel like a complete idiot. Like I'm talking too slow or articulate waaaaaay too much. My co workers tell me it's fine but I know they think I'm just a bit too weird. Sometimes the pain takes over and I lose all focus and have to make people repeat 3-4 times before I process the information.

My whole family is afected somehow by arthritis or/and psoriasis so we are all holding pretty awkward conversations. It never hits you until you join "the real world" I guess.

I too have this issue but I did not realize it was all part of this...sometimes I get what is called brain farts as well....I all that it was because I am 40 and getting up in age....I just started the bilogics so I am praying it helps so far it has not