Hobbies - Share them

Wow! I’m a bit late to the discussion but since it seems to be ongoing I’ll chime in.

A couple of friends and I work all year accumulating items toward packing Christmas Child boxes, usually over 200 of them. I’ve had many interests over the years, intaglio & serigraph printmaking, professional dressmaking and tailoring, Master Gardener, jewelry making, cooking and baking, avoiding housework (yes, that is actually an activity and a serious interest :roll_eyes:) In spite of living in a temperate rainforest I enjoy being outdoors as much as possible, usually in my garden or walking some of our miles and miles of trails.

Shortly before Covid shut everything down I started a horrific flare that lasted about 8 months. I could barley walk without a knee brace AND a cane, on not so awful days I could only barely manage a mile. Since I couldn’t get out and move as I wanted I started working on jewelry. Living in Alaska such indoor stuff is usually reserved for winter when it’s really sucky outside. I managed to stay mostly occupied and made probably 50-60 necklaces. Probably the same for bracelets and pairs of earrings. I make them primarily to go in the Christmas boxes since I don’t think they are good enough to sell. But it keeps me off the street and out of trouble. Well, off the street. The trouble part, maybe not so much. :laughing:

@Jon_sparky- Flutes! Wow! I have a friend who makes violin and cello bows. Beautiful works of art. Your workshop looks like my workspaces. Good on ya! The husband just doesn’t understand that excessive tidiness squelches the muses. My story and I’m sticking to it.

6 Likes

If I cleaned my shop, that is all I would do, just clean, I would never have time to work on the flutes!
You are right you and I, Einstein and a few other geniuses had messy work areas. wasn’t it Einstein that said “a empty desk is a empty mind…”

4 Likes

I enjoy drawing, painting, embroidery and textile art and supporting causes I believe in with my creations.
I believe art is healing and creativity is healing. I must, because I’m always into something and when I’m creating or viewing or listening to something beautiful, it’s the best pain killer.
I also enjoy reading and serving in pastoral care through our church.
I find helping others to be good medicine.
I’m looking forward to Autumn days when it’s comfortable being out in nature. I’m not able to “hike” but on good days I can stroll on a nature path near our home.

2 Likes

@darinfan WOW! I am impressed. Thats amazing. I’m not sure I could write a poem.

@Mom_Cat Thats really neat that you do the Christmas boxes. Do you have pictures of your jewelry?

@mimiB I also enjoy the textile arts but I havent done them in so long due to my fingers. I hope to get back into it soon. I also tell people I hike, but it’s just a good stroll.

2 Likes

Haha :joy: this is me too!!

3 Likes

We are down to four cats. These will be our last. We have had cats for forty years now. I collect coins (an expensive hobby) and also am a HAM radio enthusiast (another expensive hobby).

As I plan to retire, I hope to get back into photography. My undergrad degree is in photography. If I can get around, I want to start shooting stock photos and put them out to sell.

1 Like

Why will they be your last?

1 Like

Haha!!! @Jen75

2 Likes

@amielynn38 Ya know, for some reason I‘ve taken very few pictures of what I make. It’s primarily for the Christmas Child boxes. It’s all just costume jewelry, albeit good costume jewelry. My hands and wrists aren’t what they were and I don’t have the very fine motor skills/coordination I once had. Not that I was ever terribly blessed with grace and cat like agility. :woman_facepalming:
If I can clear some of the, umm, creativity away from the sewing room I’ll probably start making clothes for the boxes. I have a fabric and notions stash that would rival stock in some stores. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to do much in the way of sewing since bending over even a pub height table to cut something out has been out of the question for awhile. But I’m hoping to be able to figure out how to do that soon so that I can GET ON with life. But no matter what, I shall continue with the Christmas Child boxes. Being very involved with them, knowing that there is the potential in them for a little joy and possibly to help transform a young life keeps my mind off of myself for a bit. Even in my worst days doing what I can for them makes life better.
@tamac I can understand the “last ones.” I’ve had cats most of my life but after I had to put down my last two kitties I just can’t do it any more. To me it’s like losing a child. Even though it’s been several years since the last one I still miss him terribly at times.
@Jen75 I don’t ‘hike’ trails either! If it’s a good path and not hilly I’m fine. Or mostly fine. My husband is always looking at the mountains around our house and saying “It would be fun to climb up to that ridge/the top/somewhere” I usually look at him and think, “I’m SURE somewhere there is a treatment for that mental aberration” :laughing:

2 Likes

I think you are wonder and what you do for those Christmas boxes and the kids is great! I think we all think our creations are not as nice as the world sees them but I know you put so much love into them. Thank you for doing this!

Me? I make wine. This is this years batch of My anti-inflammatory Special PsA Wine. Its mad from Lemon Balm. At 15% ABV even without the Anti-inflammatory properties of Lemon Balm, It, after a few glasses make one forget PsA entirely lol

5 Likes

WOW!! I bet it does!! My husband brews beer and I wanted to start wine. We keep putting it off. I need to get started. What recipe do you recommend for a first timer?

Wine is dozens of times easier than beer (and rarely bottle rockets lol) Personally I would start with a Kit Depending on what you like his is a great one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016DRS8KW. Also fun are concentrated Juice. (I use cranberry Juice great for the holidays):

Welch’s Grape Juice Wine Recipe (1 Gallon)

2- 64 oz. Welch’s Grape Juice

1/2- lb. Cane Sugar

1- Package of Yeast ( Red Star Montrachet)

1- Teaspoon Yeast Nutrient

3/4 - Teaspoon Acid Blend

1/8 - Teaspoon Grape Tannin

If you prefer, you can use Welch’s Frozen Concentrate, you can do that as well. Just reconstitute the Welch’s concentrate with water as the directions from Welch’s indicate, and start from there. If you make beer you prolly would do 5 or 6 gallon batches. he process is very similar; https://eckraus.com/wine-making-steps/

If it’ll ferment, it can make wine. The Lemon Balm is my own recipe. Here are some others: https://eckraus.com/wine-recipes/

3 Likes

Thanks!! This sounds easy enough. I’ll give it a try. We also make mead.

1 Like

It is just so hard to lose one. I lost my little girl lap cat before COVID started. She was 18 1/2 years old.

She was my nurse cat. People don’t understand how hard losing one is.

I miss counted, we are down to five now.

3 Likes

Biggest cyber hugs on that one. I truly do understand how hard it is. But for me each one creates a hole in my heart and refilling that hole when the time is right just brings joy again. And inevitably the eventual loss too. But having pets is wonderful, for them and therefore for me.

1 Like

I’m sorry about that. It’s never easy, but the nurse cats are something extra special.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. We lost our corgi this year and it was hard as well. She would always bring a smile to your face.

We are planning some homemade wine soon and another round of mead.