Let's have a PET talk

Yes, you read that right. Let's talk pets.

From the scaled ones to the furry ones, that goldfish in a bowl to a majestic horse, a majority of us, if not all, have at least one.

And for various reasons: a hand down from a dear friend, a guide/guard dog, therapy. I even shared a blog here about pets detecting illnesses.

So let's start sharing some: post something about your pet, a story, pictures! We love to see them!

And perhaps start a group on pets as well.

Let me start the ball rolling with mine. Here's a picture of my pet.

NAH, just kidding! I can't afford a TIGER. I can only wish. Here are my adorable shih-tzus.

Aren't they as cute as they get?

I have a Pug, Tucker (typically we call him Tucky). He's almost three years old. We got him when he was six months old, and we were the sixth family to have him. Not sure why as he's a wonderful dog. My son's in college, and Tucky's my surrogate baby. ;)

I could use up the whole page if I posted pics of all of my pets! I will just tell you about them.

Seamus- A boxer-pit bull mix that we rescued from the shelter. His hobbies include sleeping, snoring, eating, farting, sleeping and snoring.

Chloe Kitty- a tabby that I got from a co-worker. Her hobbies include sleeping, eating, staring angrily at the dog, and attacking bottle caps.

The Squeaks- a long haired black and white kitty. Her hobbies include sleeping, meowing loudly, eating only two bites of food at a time, and staring anrgrily at Chloe Kitty.

Pandora- a chinchilla. Her hobbies are chewing wood, snacking on YoYo bits, running on her wheel and smacking Seamus on the nose when he gets too close to her cage.

Aphrodite- a chinchilla. Her favorite hobbies are eating dried fruit, begging for dried fruit, looking for dried fruit, and sleeping on top of Pandora.

I think our dogs have the same pastimes!!!!! hhahahahaha I can add cuddling to that, as mine is very spoiled...lol

GrumpyCat said:

I could use up the whole page if I posted pics of all of my pets! I will just tell you about them.

Seamus- A boxer-pit bull mix that we rescued from the shelter. His hobbies include sleeping, snoring, eating, farting, sleeping and snoring.

Chloe Kitty- a tabby that I got from a co-worker. Her hobbies include sleeping, eating, staring angrily at the dog, and attacking bottle caps.

The Squeaks- a long haired black and white kitty. Her hobbies include sleeping, meowing loudly, eating only two bites of food at a time, and staring anrgrily at Chloe Kitty.

Pandora- a chinchilla. Her hobbies are chewing wood, snacking on YoYo bits, running on her wheel and smacking Seamus on the nose when he gets too close to her cage.

Aphrodite- a chinchilla. Her favorite hobbies are eating dried fruit, begging for dried fruit, looking for dried fruit, and sleeping on top of Pandora.

I should have added snuggle therapy to the talents for the kitties. They guard me when I feel bad. The dog just likes to hog my electric throw!

PinkCamoChick said:

I think our dogs have the same pastimes!!! hhahahahaha I can add cuddling to that, as mine is very spoiled…lol

GrumpyCat said:

In the past 2 yrs I've lost my dog, a cat, and a gerbil. So I'm down to:

2 indoor outdoor cats. One is a huge lazy orange tabby, and one a frisky smart black and brown tabby. The orange kitty hangs out near me during the day, and ALWAYS likes petting. The black tabby is always doing something, but in the night, when I'm tossing and turning, she will come snuggle in the crook of my arm purring.

1 gerbil, who is now skittish without her sister. She adores sunflower seeds, nibbles of apple, and new things to chew daily. She runs up to say hello when I call her. Super soothing to watch her hold a tiny seed in her paws and turn it around and around nibbling. She is 3 yrs old so expect her to go the way of her sister in the next few months.

2 outdoor bunnies. They look like wild bunnies (sort of grey / brown speckled) but very fat and fluffy. They are so adorable. Got them from the shelter when they were 1yr old, about 2 yrs ago. They are super frisky but know that I mean great treats... they are one of the things that forces me to get outside. Every morning I haul myself out to open their house so that can go into the attached run, and I feed them a carrot (they take turns nibbling, super cute). Every evening when I go to shut them in, I give them some apple. I often add in a visit in the afternoon when they come over to excitedly bump their noses into my fingers.

I have a lovely black lab mix named Milo. He is three years old and we got him from the shelter at about eight weeks old. He loves to sleep, eat, go on walks, and snuggle <3 (and eat some more). He's really been my companion while i'm at home alone much of the time, and gets me up and out to go on walks (as we are in an apartment, he doesn't have a yard to play in so daily walks are a must). He is also a Suns supporter (my husbands team that he follows for aussie football).

705-milosun.JPG (1010 KB)

Nice scarf Milo!

Emma W said:

I have a lovely black lab mix named Milo. He is three years old and we got him from the shelter at about eight weeks old. He loves to sleep, eat, go on walks, and snuggle <3 (and eat some more). He's really been my companion while i'm at home alone much of the time, and gets me up and out to go on walks (as we are in an apartment, he doesn't have a yard to play in so daily walks are a must). He is also a Suns supporter (my husbands team that he follows for aussie football).

Hi Marietta!

Did you know that cat purrs are therapeutic too? I got this information stashed for reference. A little bit long but worth the read to the end. http://paulapeterson.com/CatsPurr.html

Marietta said:

In the past 2 yrs I've lost my dog, a cat, and a gerbil. So I'm down to:

2 indoor outdoor cats. One is a huge lazy orange tabby, and one a frisky smart black and brown tabby. The orange kitty hangs out near me during the day, and ALWAYS likes petting. The black tabby is always doing something, but in the night, when I'm tossing and turning, she will come snuggle in the crook of my arm purring.

1 gerbil, who is now skittish without her sister. She adores sunflower seeds, nibbles of apple, and new things to chew daily. She runs up to say hello when I call her. Super soothing to watch her hold a tiny seed in her paws and turn it around and around nibbling. She is 3 yrs old so expect her to go the way of her sister in the next few months.

2 outdoor bunnies. They look like wild bunnies (sort of grey / brown speckled) but very fat and fluffy. They are so adorable. Got them from the shelter when they were 1yr old, about 2 yrs ago. They are super frisky but know that I mean great treats... they are one of the things that forces me to get outside. Every morning I haul myself out to open their house so that can go into the attached run, and I feed them a carrot (they take turns nibbling, super cute). Every evening when I go to shut them in, I give them some apple. I often add in a visit in the afternoon when they come over to excitedly bump their noses into my fingers.

At this moment, we have 3 cats and a hamster. The hamster is about a year old, and although she is technically for my kids, I pay the most attention to her. Even on a day that I don't get to take her out, we have a bedtime ritual.

My cats. . . Well, Murray is the baby of the family at 7yrs old. He's a black cat who looks like he's part Siamese, and as much as he makes me crazy, I hope he never really grows up. Rosie is my old girl at 12 yrs old, and she just looks old. She is the one who loves to sleep with anybody, and insists (repeatedly) that we turn on the tap water for her to drink from. Sunshine is my kitty cat, and the one that found us. She was a stray, and she is 8 or 9 years old. We got her when I was pregnant with my second, and needed a third cat like a hole in the head. But she is super sweet with me and my daughter, even though she is still a bit skittish. She is one of those cats where it is a major compliment if she comes over to you to check you out. None of them are aggressive in any way.

Oh, and Murray loves to greet people and dogs. My neighbor's dog loves to come over and say hi to the cats, and Murray is the one who will mess around with her.

Great topic! I have two sweet little cats, Snuffy and Fluffy! They are just beautiful and they bring great therapy and relaxation to me. I've also noticed that since all these symptoms started back in July/August, they have been lying on me a LOT! They just snuggle up to me a lot more and even just lie on me whether I'm on my side, back, or tummy. Then when they get settled on me they start purring. It's as if they're trying to heal me!! Fascinating!! I LOVE them and I'm sooooo thankful for them doing this!

Miss Lilly, 13, is our yellow lab rescue. She loves walking with her daddy, riding in the CR-V, snuggles, scratches, her toy duck and snoozing. She's very protective of me when I'm home sick, like I have been the last week.

Sylvester, 12, is our tuxedo rescue. He loves going out (supervised) in our back yard, eating, catnip, laps (he's a lap 'ho); my electric blanket and snuggling. He's very cold natured and also protective of me when I'm sick.

Lynx, 10, is our male gray tabby. We call him Knothead--he's the alpha cat with a very determined mind. He loves sunning in the bay window, turkey with mayo, his toy chipmunk, playing floor hockey with bottle caps, catnip, going out (supervised) in our back yard, sleeping curled up next to his daddy and snoozing.

LaRue, 10, is our black female (Lynx's litter mate). She's the smallest cat in the house and the mouthiest. She loves turkey, catnip, going out in the back yard (supervised), sleeping on my shoulder and snoozing.

Edmond, 8, is our grey tabby. He loves sunning in the bay window, spooning with Sylvester, playing with the toy chipmunk, bottle caps and empty paper bags; catnip and snoozing.

Mercedes, 8, is our silver tabby. He loves sunning in the bay window, snuggling in my arms, his Daddy's lap, my lap, my electric blanket, catnip and snoozing.

Where to start, I have a big goldfish in a tub outside, his partner recently passed, they are about 5, and when I go to feed it, I can say fish fish fish and he comes to the top and will nibble my finger. Then there is MeeMee, my 8 year old siamese, who loves to eat and yak. She is basically antisocial to everyone but me, I call her my purrpot...I also have a 5 year old chihuahua named Hobo, who thinks she is a great dane, she has bad skin like her mama, she loves to play with the cat and her newest friend, Midnight a vertically challenged little sweetie my mom and I rescued from a business where we spotted her over a couple of weeks, the vet seems to think she is about a year and a half old. She rarely barks, was housebroken and has been really good for Hobo. They all bring me comfort when I feel at my worst...

they cute :)

i have small zoo in my house: 1 husband, 4 children (3 still living with us), 2 dogs and 4 cats.

kiti is the oldest female cat, she is 15 years old and of course she is THE boss.

cookie is the only male cat and he is my grand son :) he is 2.5 years old and plant eater, plus he is the sweetest kitten here.

venus is my personal baby, also 2.5. years old she is an alien cat (for real :))

milo, the new addition, also a grand child, female, 9 months old kitten. sometimes i think there is like 10 of her, she is everywhere :)

bandit - my sweet 100lb black lab, 3 years old. he is my baby. those brown eyes of his are like melting chocolate...he will convince anyone to feed him extra snack.

hunter - 1 year old bad, very bad husky, he thinks that he is a lap dog, 70lb lap dog. i tried to explain to him that when i am on sofa he is not suppose to try to sit on my lap. didn't work :) he is a master of fixing every problem he gets in with kisses.

this is great idea to share about our other "babies" :)

my alien cat - venus