Hello!

Hello,

My Name is Emma, I live in Ontario Canada. I was diagnosed less than 6 months ago but have had problems for a long time. It was somewhat of a relief to find out what was going on with me. Since I was about 15, I am now 28 I have had psoriasis quite bad. My spots are located on my scalp so it is hard to brush my hair without skin coming off. It was and is still really hard and embarrassing to deal with. I have tried so many different treatments and nothing works.. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I joined this group as I was experiencing some side effects, my doctor put me on Sulfasalzaine and I am having such a hard time going to sleep and I am tired all the time. It has been a week and nothing seems to be getting better or worse. I haven't experienced any stomacher problems like some other people have thankfully.

I started experiencing knee problems about a year ago, I was sent to different doctors before I finally found a good one and seemed to know what was going on. At that point I was barely able to walk I couldn't straighten out my knee or bend it too much so walking up and down stairs was out of the question. I took naproxen and a week or so later I was able to be more mobile.

My knees are better right now but I am too scared to do anything physical.

Last week at work we did a first aid/CPR class and it was embarrassing. I had to be centered out because I couldn't get on the ground or kneel to do the CPR. Situations like that are horrible and really put me in a bad mood, I mean I am 28 years old and I can't sit on the ground because I won't be able to get up.

I really hope this new medicine helps and eventually i get some more movement back.

Anyways I look forward to meeting you all and hearing your stories.

- Emma

Hi Emma, thanks for your story and welcome!

It might take a few different medications before you get the right one for you, and mostly they take at least 4 -12 weeks to start showing a difference, but you are absolutely right - knowing what it is so you can treat it is a big part of the battle and a huge relief!

Hi Emma

I am also quite new here but it is so nice to be around people that know EXACTLY what you are going through!! Your story sounds so very similar to mine! I also had psoriasis on my scalp which started around 15 I was then diagnosed with PsA when I was 22 (I am 29 now). And to me it was also such a big relieve getting diagnosed as prior to that doctors just dismissed all my aches and pains and said it was stress. I actually had a doctor test me for ‘arthritis’ (she only tested for rheumatoid and didn’t know/consider other types) and tell me I don’t have it just to find out 4 months later that I actually do.

The meds really helped me but as Jen said they take some time to truly kick. It sucks being singled out and not being able to do stuff!! Especially when you’re tired and your friends invite you out!

I have also found that excercise really helps but don’t overdo it and listen to your body! My knees are also affected which makes excercise so difficult! I usually only excercise on a crosstrainer, it’s the only thing I can do that won’t hurt me. As long as I keep the speed and resistance down!

Good to meet you!

Hi Emma! You mentioned your scalp so I thought I would jump in with some advice about that since I've had PS on my scalp for nearly 40 years. Try MG217 medicated shampoo for psoriasis. Trust me, I've tried everything over the years, and now that I use it-for a few years now--I have no flaking or itching! Look on Amazon for it.

Also, to get on a biologic faster and a stronger dose I think a dermatologist can do that for you, since you have PS and PsA. At least that's how it is in the U.S. I started Enbrel 2.5 weeks ago and it's already helping my PsA!

Good luck! (I have an Emma-29--love your name!)

Nicolene said:

Hi Emma

I am also quite new here but it is so nice to be around people that know EXACTLY what you are going through!! Your story sounds so very similar to mine! I also had psoriasis on my scalp which started around 15 I was then diagnosed with PsA when I was 22 (I am 29 now). And to me it was also such a big relieve getting diagnosed as prior to that doctors just dismissed all my aches and pains and said it was stress. I actually had a doctor test me for 'arthritis' (she only tested for rheumatoid and didn't know/consider other types) and tell me I don't have it just to find out 4 months later that I actually do.

The meds really helped me but as Jen said they take some time to truly kick. It sucks being singled out and not being able to do stuff!! Especially when you're tired and your friends invite you out!

I have also found that excercise really helps but don't overdo it and listen to your body! My knees are also affected which makes excercise so difficult! I usually only excercise on a crosstrainer, it's the only thing I can do that won't hurt me. As long as I keep the speed and resistance down!

Good to meet you!