Hand surgery

I had my hand operated on on Monday, in order to stabilize the base of my thumb. I had tried all of the conservative measures to deal with pain and instability- bracing, cortisone shots, hand therapy.

It hurts, I won’t lie. I think I’m over the worst of it, as I have a painkiller that’s working now. The first painkiller has added to my list of ones that make me really sick. At the same time, it’s a manageable type of pain. My last surgery was on my back, and an extremity is way easier to handle.

At least the surgery is done, and hopefully the recovery will bring me less (no?) pain, and better strength and stability.

Praying the surgery does the trick and your recovery goes smoothly!

Thanks Nym.

You are in my thoughts and prayers Stoney. I am working on a prayer shawl these days for a pregnant woman to nurse with. I will incorporate some prayers for you as I work it. I think you are a good mother and it will help you both.

Now a little nursey talk- When I have had my hands worked on I keep ice on them past the suggested length but only with my surgeon's blessings. I also keep it elevated. I have been known to tie it to the bed post with the sling padding it well with pillows. Any swelling you can prevent helps immensely to prevent pain. Last but by no means last I use movies to distract me. I use it as an excuse to revisit my favorites that my family objects to - Dirty Dancing, White Nights, Always, PS ILove You, Love Actually....all the best!

Sending you healing thoughts, wishing you a speedy recovery and hope the surgery helps reduce the pain and give you better strength and mobility! Take care Stoney<3

Thanks all. I’ve been doing a good job of keeping my hand elevated, so the swelling is minimal. I also have managed to spend some time outside. It tired me out, but was really good for my mental status. I also have a few meals being delivered, to get me over the worst of it. Tonight my temple delivered Chinese food. And tomorrow I have a friend bringing dinner, and picking my garden.

Better each day. It will be a long recovery, but the worst of it should be past soon.

Well I be praying for you too, Jesus can work miracles :) I am glad to hear that your temple is helping out with meals, it can really help in your recovery. I hope you feel better soon.

Sending prayers your way and thinking of you. I am no there yet but no doubt will be one day

Best wishes! I found my 3 hand surgeries to be very painful, probably because fingers have so many nerve endings! (that, and they were joint fusion, pretty invasion to the bone). Take your pain meds, rest, and I really hope this surgery does what you need it to! Once I recovered from my surgeries (about 8 years ago) I felt so much better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and positive thoughts for the success of it!

The hand surgeon told me to expect a long recovery, but this should be a long term solution, so that's fine. Sadly, I still can't pet my cats at all with that hand. Poor kitties.

I'm guessing that this may well be the first of many PsA related surgeries.Marietta, the dr said it wouldn't likely be as bad as you described, because less messing with bone.

That's great! I am sure the worst is over. Take care of yourself for a speedy recovery.

Stoney, you are so brave! Doc has told me I need to think about this surgery, too, since my thumb arthritis is advanced. They keep telling me it is OA, but I’m not convinced. I wonder if the surgery and recovery are similar regardless of the type of arthritis.

I will certainly be thinking about you and praying for a speedy recovery!

My hand surgeon basically said that his patients tell him when it’s time to have surgery. I know I did. I know a few people who had similar surgery, and nobody seemed unhappy. I couldn’t handle wearing a brace all of the tie, and icing a few times a day. Hand therapy helped a bit, but it was not a long term solution.

The thingis, I’m sure there will be more surgeries in the future. I’ll just handle whatever comes my way as it happens.

There are some people who have had many surgeries related to PsA, and many others who may never need it.

I decided it was time and found a surgeon. My rheumy didn't tell me to. I just got to a point where I needed the surgery.

Stoney said:

My hand surgeon basically said that his patients tell him when it's time to have surgery. I know I did.

I am so glad that you are finding this surgery to be better than your last. Those painful experiences sure do stick with us. I was very hopeful that you would progress just as you described. Personally, I have always found post op pain much easier to handle because I know it’s temporary! I wish you continued success with this. Remember your therapy and remember to pre-load pain meds before therapy!