Hand pain...OT referral?

I miss him terribly! He was my favorite, too. My brother had PAD and had to go to a Veteran's Hospital. They tried to save it but in the end, they had to amputate his leg right below the knee. It was 1983 and blood wasn't tested at that time and he had to have blood transfusions. Unfortunately, he got Hep C from the tranfusions. An x-ray also showed that a broken needle had been left in his stump from the amputation which caused infections. Thank God for blood testing these days!! He died exactly 10 years later. His toes on his remaining foot were severely crippled and the joints, too, were completely gone. My brother never complained and always remained optimistic with a great sense of humor or so he let us think! I asked him one day how he managed all that he had to deal with and he simply smiled and stated, "There are tears behind the laughter . . . I laugh to keep from crying". He was an amazing man that stood 10' tall, in my eyes! I wish you all the best, Leesa415, as it sounds as if you are dealing with a host of the same problems that my brother had. Blessing go out to you!

Tena Marie
Leesa415 said:

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your brother, how did he pass? so young :( My PsA is crippling me as well, althought it hasn't hit in my spine yet, the last MRI showed PsA in my entire spine, I only feel pain here and there in it right near my shoulder blades is the worst. and some in my neck. I have a wheel chair for really bad times now and have used it quite often this year. I am about to get an ankle fusion do to my ankle caving in and most of my toes are crippled, hammertoes, and two of them do not have joints in them anymore, one is permanantly dislocated. after I heal from the ankle fusion the same leg needs a total knee replacement so I'm in for a lot this year. I sure hope things improve esp with my knee, I can hardly take the pain in it when it's acting up. I cry a lot! steriods do, do the trick though but am off for a little while been on them too long. . Not sure what else is in my future but it's getting scary, I only progress with this. thank you for sharing the glove idea, I have one and didn't think about using it to help open jars good idea! LOL

great idea!! i am gonna use that as i am having trouble opening stuff now!!

Tena Marie said:

My brother (now deceased at age 47) had severe PsA that crippled him. He taught me many, many things as to how to go about changing the way you do things. He always told me that you just have to find another way but it can be done. The best thing he taught me was to buy a pair of rubberized cleaning gloves to use while doing most things to help the psoriasis on your hands(water was a killer for him and now for me) but the amazing idea he taught me was to use those gloves to open ANYTHING without pain in your hands/fingers. I can open up anything using the glove!! When I find I can't do something, I always sit back & just give it some thought to an alternative way of getting the job done. Thank God for my big brother because he knew what was ahead of me to face. I miss him terribly!
Leesa415 said:

Hi, I too have bouts of hand pain and one day was so mad at this disease because I could not open the jar of Mayo I was trying to open, that I just threw the darned mayo jar on the floor (yes glass) and yes I opened it alright, but then had to laugh that I just resorted to this. I find the best relief for me is heat but not dry heat, I soak my hand is the hottest water I can handle and do it for at least 15-20 min, sometimes have to heat it up again. It does give me some relief and better motion. If it's really bad my Doc gives me steroids-7 day dose pack and although I don't like being on them for long periods of time they do work wonders for me. I also have used hand braces and for me, I found the best was not the fancy kind, the stretchy soft tan elastic ones at wal-mart, your thumb fits through the hole and is exposed, as well as your fingers, it aids in wrist strength. I don't know the brand name off hand. I have had arthritis since I was 24 and I am now 50. So I'm pretty progressed but I hope you find this gives you some relief too.

So sorry I haven't been on here for quite some time. Flares have prevented me from doing many things but I have to push myself. I hope the rubber glove has helped you to open your jars (no matter how large or small the jar/bottles are). The other day my husband handed me a bottle of water (8oz) and I couldn't open it and we were in the car. I guess I need to carry a glove with me now!!! I've felt like throwing the damn jars, too, before I remembered what he told me and I've never been able to use anything else to open them, even ketchup bottles. Keep a glove handy wherever you need one. I keep one in my laundry room, bathroom, kitchen, and basement. As my brother told me, "Stop and think a minute and just use your head and a new way of doing it will come to you." I wish all of you the best with the "glove" as it's been a Godsend to me!

Tena Marie said:

I miss him terribly! He was my favorite, too. My brother had PAD and had to go to a Veteran's Hospital. They tried to save it but in the end, they had to amputate his leg right below the knee. It was 1983 and blood wasn't tested at that time and he had to have blood transfusions. Unfortunately, he got Hep C from the tranfusions. An x-ray also showed that a broken needle had been left in his stump from the amputation which caused infections. Thank God for blood testing these days!! He died exactly 10 years later. His toes on his remaining foot were severely crippled and the joints, too, were completely gone. My brother never complained and always remained optimistic with a great sense of humor or so he let us think! I asked him one day how he managed all that he had to deal with and he simply smiled and stated, "There are tears behind the laughter . . . I laugh to keep from crying". He was an amazing man that stood 10' tall, in my eyes! I wish you all the best, Leesa415, as it sounds as if you are dealing with a host of the same problems that my brother had. Blessing go out to you!

Tena Marie
Leesa415 said:

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your brother, how did he pass? so young :( My PsA is crippling me as well, althought it hasn't hit in my spine yet, the last MRI showed PsA in my entire spine, I only feel pain here and there in it right near my shoulder blades is the worst. and some in my neck. I have a wheel chair for really bad times now and have used it quite often this year. I am about to get an ankle fusion do to my ankle caving in and most of my toes are crippled, hammertoes, and two of them do not have joints in them anymore, one is permanantly dislocated. after I heal from the ankle fusion the same leg needs a total knee replacement so I'm in for a lot this year. I sure hope things improve esp with my knee, I can hardly take the pain in it when it's acting up. I cry a lot! steriods do, do the trick though but am off for a little while been on them too long. . Not sure what else is in my future but it's getting scary, I only progress with this. thank you for sharing the glove idea, I have one and didn't think about using it to help open jars good idea! LOL