Fingers Swell during Exercise

Hi All!

I am new to this group and somewhat new to PsA. I was diagnosed over a year ago and decided not to take traditional medical treatments.

Here's my situation and what brought me here for your knowledge - I have recently (since December) joined a gym and started an exercise program. I walk on a treadmill at varying speeds and elevations two times a week (it's a start!).

After about 30 minutes on the treadmill the fingers are both my hands are noticeably swollen and inflamed. After 45 minutes they ache so bad I usually have to stop. If I stay on for a full hour, I can barely move my fingers to turn the machine off. This happens every time I go.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can I prevent it? How? Thank you!

My fingers have swollen when I take long walks for a long time. Not so bad when I run, bike, use the elliptical, etc. Why when I walk? My best guess is positioning, that my hands are down. I'm wondering if it would be different for you if you walked with your arms in more of a running position. It's certainly worth a try.

You might try running in the pool. You’ll get your heart pumping in no time, low impact. You’re not moving blood to your extremities . Also compression gloves work well.

This also happens to me. I talked to my dermy about it. She said bring a towel from home and use it to wipe away extra sweat. Also, I use an anti sweat med on my hands. Seems I am allergic to my own sweat but also have Psa in my hands. Between the two, it's not so bad. I also raise my hands and move my joint around a lot. I know I look strange, but it does help.

1 Like

Raising the hands up really helped, thank you ladies for all your feedback!

hm, I'll need to remember that when I walk

I know this is an old posting, and I haven’t posted in many years on this site, but I can so relate to this hand swelling when exercising. And I sometimes hold my hands up when I walk. That was one of the first weird things that I experienced with this condition. (PsA)