Enbrel Side-effects

I'm in the middle of the process to start Enbrel; have any of you experienced any side effects that I need to keep in mind or look out for?

Well over 200 shots - I got nuthin.

I got a site reaction (red and itchy patch) where I injected. Problem solved with anti-itch cream from Walmart.

Thank you Seenie & tntlamb!

I got itchy the first time, but after that, the only side effect I noticed was almost-remission!

I was on it for 2 years. I had no side effects. I am on my fifth biologic. The only side effect I have had was a hive like reaction at injection site with Humira.

Nothing. It was my first biologic, and the best! I hope you have a great time with it! (I know that sounds odd, but the first time I was on it, it was like a miracle. I think I fell in love a little bit with my syringes :)

I'm also looking to get onto Enbrel here soon - can I ask you all, if Enbrel worked so well for some of you, did you switch because it simply stopped working after a certain period of time? If that's what happened, how long were you on it before it stopped being effective?

Hi there,

For me Enbrel was still working well for my joints, but I unfortunately started getting inflammatory bowel problems, for which studies show Enbrel isn’t effective. As a result I switched to Humira about 9 months after I started Enbrel (so nothing to do with PsA - not much useful information for you I’m afraid).

AddyBlue said:

I'm also looking to get onto Enbrel here soon - can I ask you all, if Enbrel worked so well for some of you, did you switch because it simply stopped working after a certain period of time? If that's what happened, how long were you on it before it stopped being effective?

I have to switch biologics about every year. I am one of about 30% (if my percentage is off maybe Lamb can enlighten us to the correct percent!) of PsA patients that build immunity to the biologics and it takes about a year. I inject mtx weekly to slow my over zealous immune system. I am on Remicade now and it has ceased to work for me so I may be on Stelara soon.

I switched because I had to go off Enbrel for an emergency surgery and was off for awhile. I flared from the medical trauma, and when I got back on the Enbrel it didn't work nearly as well anymore :( I always wonder how long I would have stayed in my Enbrel induced remission without that emergency surgery (torsion of my ovary).

AddyBlue said:

Enbrel was the first medication that my rheumatologist ordered. I am a RN so I have given many shots but it was very different to give one to myself. I had the preloaded injecter syringes-which are nice and easy. The only problem that I had with them is sometimes they didn't hurt at all and sometimes they were OUCHY (for just a second) and left a big bruise. I found that setting them out of the fridge for about 30 minutes prior helped. My skin cleared up almost immediatly and the companies support/assist program was great to work with. Unfortunately my PsA never inproved and I went through every other biologic that was on the market. I'm on remicaide now and PsA doing much better-skin sucks-not fair. Best wishes to you.

I’ve only been on enbrel for 2 weeks and it seems to want to work! The only thing is I get a headache after taking it. But I can take that!

Mindy I found if I drank more water I could avoid a headache with both biologics and mtx. Most days of the week I try to add a liter of water to my usual intake. It helps.

On Enbrel for about 9 months, no side effects for me (except my fingernails went from awful to normal!).

BUT, I was put on MTX as well and that made me nauseous for days. Doc bumped my Folic Acid from one tab to three per day and that fixed it right up.

None. Enbrel worked well for me for a number of years.

OK, all you biologics people. Going on a side-trip here (sorry, yoamo :slight_smile: I use an Enbrel sureclick autoinjector, and I don’t find it particularly painful, but it does sting a bit. But when I inject in my stomach, it stings much less than if I jab into my thigh. What’s with that? How come? And while we are at it, how do they get the caramel into the caramilk bar?

The only side-effect was no more PAIN! Just took my second injection today. good luck!

Seenie--I had the same experience. I have switched from Enbrel to Humira and on each medication I changed from the auto inject pen to the pre-filled syringe.I find the auto-injectors to be torture devices! I NEVER inject in my thigh anymore. It is too painful. Give me all that lovely subcutaneous stomach fat to stick my needle into any day of the week. And I'd much rather control the flow of the liquid than to feel like it's bursting cells under my skin as it's being forced in. Ans, yes, I know it is but a brief pain, but I would rather make it a brief not-so-much-pain.

As for the caramel in caramilk bars and the creme in a creme egg...MAGIC!

Seenie said:

OK, all you biologics people. Going on a side-trip here (sorry, yoamo :-) I use an Enbrel sureclick autoinjector, and I don't find it particularly painful, but it does sting a bit. But when I inject in my stomach, it stings much less than if I jab into my thigh. What's with that? How come? And while we are at it, how do they get the caramel into the caramilk bar?